Disney's Boardwalk

January 8, 2018, 8:15 AM

I was just wondering why The Disney Boardwalk area was never fully developed. Perhaps when Disney Springs is completed they will head to the area to give improvements and new venues.
With the new sky way system going into the back gate of Epcot it would be nice to have some new scenery. I have not been a fan of The Orlando Eye Sore. It would be awesome to see a replica of Mickey's Fun Wheel anchored on The Boardwalk. They could offer an up charge for a nominal fee and I am sure it would be a hit. Maybe even a few more Midway attractions.

I understand with The Pavilions it would be tricky to blend the Ferris Wheel with the countries. Just an idea. Want to see others opinions.

Replies (4)

Edited: January 8, 2018, 9:21 AM

What are you looking for in the complex? It's really just supposed to be a themed extension of the hotel, not a separate attraction. The eateries and shops are similar to what you find at the other deluxe resorts, just in an appropriately themed setting. The Boardwalk was never intended to be a destination aside from hotel guests and those with reservations for the restaurants, so saying it "was never fully developed" is inaccurate.

January 8, 2018, 10:30 AM

My bad as a former cast member at The Disney Reservation center in The late nineties at the reservation center we were told it was just the beginning.

I just thought since they now feature it as its own entertainment district it was also a destination.

Per The official Disney world web- Site:

"Experience the timeless charm of Disney’s BoardWalk, a quarter-mile promenade of exquisite dining, unique shops and exciting nightlife. Stroll along the water’s edge, play afternoon midway games and discover evening street performers. Evoking turn-of-the-century boardwalks in such coastal cities as Coney Island and Atlantic City, Disney’s BoardWalk is a short stroll to Epcot and a breezy boat ride to Disney’s Hollywood Studios"

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/boardwalk/

Even as an extension to The Hotel itself, it would be nice to have the wheel. In original concept renderings there was a midway aside from the pool area themeing. It would be nice to see that realized.

But anyways, I was just curious as to what others thought of an expansion. Nothing serious.

Edited: January 8, 2018, 4:54 PM

I'm with you on this one Armando.

I lived in Orlando for many years, and after taking visiting friends for a trip or two to (then) Downtown Disney, We'd mix it up and go to The Boardwalk hotel for dinner and a stroll. Sometimes in conjunction with a visit to Epcot, sometimes just to be at that resort.

I don't think a big Ferris Wheel would have been been appropriate due to sight lines from World Showcase. I do think a few other seaside pier rides could/should have been introduced to add interest and life to the area. The Flying Zephyr from Disney California Adventure and the Silly Symphony Swing would be lovely. Imagine seeing them cycle from across the lagoon in the evenings as fireworks burst overhead from Fantasmic!?

I'm also a big fan of Knobles' Whip ride. Those three attractions are period appropriate for the era and theme of the resort and are easily modernized to operate safely.

Still - I don't see it ever happening, but it would be nice if it had.

Edited: January 9, 2018, 10:45 AM

I would love if Paradise Pier (soon to be Pixar Pier) will be more like Boardwalk. Replace Screamin' with a entirely new Boardwalk Resort and DVC. Add another E-Ticket attraction. New shops and restaurants. Bring up the theming to theme park level. The pier theming is too basic and nothing to entice the customers.

DCA alone has more flat rides than all of Disney World. Boardwalk can benefit from a few flat rides, but all of Disney World should have them too. Epcot and DHS both need kids areas. Just add them. They don't cost that much. The new Toy Story Land at DHS will add just ONE new flat ride. That's all. A miserly one new flat ride.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive