Am I crazy? Disneyland over Easter

Edited: January 5, 2020, 7:31 PM

Hello! I am looking at crowd calendars online for Disneyland. I know there are quite a few who don't buy into these but they do show Disneyland Resort as being quite dead over the Easter weekend this year. The way things are shaping up for the year, this may be the small window I have to get out to the resort and see Star Wars. Is this crazy?

Looking at the data from last year it was dead. It seems that the further into the month Easter falls the less crowded it is? Anyone with experience over this time period. What are these crowd calendars not taking into account that I should be? Minus the obvious inevitable uptick from RotR.

Replies (5)

January 5, 2020, 1:19 PM

I've always recommended looking at Disneyland's annual pass blockout page. The SoCal Selects will be blocked the entire week leading up to Easter (April 12 this year), while the Deluxe will be blocked on the 11th and 12th. But many local schools are also out that week, too, so that might be a wash.

But the big thing that is changing guest levels at the resort is the Flex pass. As more APs switch to Flex, that's balancing crowd levels across the calendar, making the AP blockout calendar less effective in predicting the crowd level. (More blockouts used to mean lower crowds.)

Last year's data is irrelevant now, since last spring was just before the Galaxy's Edge opening and people were putting off visits. Day-ticket crowds hit the resort hard over the past two weeks, and I expect that to continue after Rise opens. Easter weekend is also WonderCon at the Anaheim Convention Center this year, so I would expect wall-to-wall crowds at Disneyland then.

So... TL;DR? Yes, crazy.

January 5, 2020, 1:24 PM

If you really want to get on Rise this winter or spring, I would recommend aiming for a school (week) day, and planning to be inside the park before it officially opens, with the Disneyland app opened and signed in, so you can jump into the virtual queue as soon as it opens. (Assuming Disneyland follows WDW's procedures.) Even though all APs will be eligible to visit on those school days, Disneyland APs tend to arrive later in the day, giving a big advantage to early risers.

That said, that Disneyland crowd pattern might lead the resort to alter its boarding procedures for Rise, so stay tuned.

January 5, 2020, 4:22 PM

Fair enough. Thanks for the insight Robert! Looks like I will just need to have a little patience and wait until next year.

Edited: January 5, 2020, 5:15 PM

Unfortunately, 2019 was more of an anomaly than the norm at the Disneyland Resort due to a variety of factors, and I do not expect the same thing to hold true this year. Historically, late March through mid June (essentially from the start of spring break season until the summer blockout) is one of the busiest times of the year at the resort, and the only time in that period I've found that isn't typically mobbed is right at the end of April. If you cannot push your trip back to the last week of April or first week of May, I highly recommend postponing it to a less busy time of year. June (after the blockouts kick in), August-September (except right around Labor day), and November (before Thanksgiving) are traditionally quite good.

If you must visit during the Easter period, then Easter Sunday will be your best bet as it is the tail end of spring break for many schools in the region. It certainly won't be dead, but you're probably be looking at 40-60 minute waits for E-tickets instead of the 60-90 minutes that occur most of the rest of the spring break period. If your main goal is to see Galaxy's Edge and you likely won't have another opportunity to visit for over a year, it may be worth chancing it and going that day, but definitely be prepared for what I'd describe as busy but manageable crowds.

January 6, 2020, 8:31 PM

I can not believe I’m admitting this in this public forum, but Easter Day at Disneyland is pretty sweet. I’ve organized a group of friends to go the last three years. We all wear over the top home made Easter bonnets. It’s a hoot. We give the Cast Members and guests who interact with us ( and many do) candy, and basically have a grand time.
The days around Easter are often awful, but I’ve discovered, regardless of what you may read or assume, Easter Day is a blast.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Discounted Park Tickets

Orlando attractions

Southern California attractions

Get News Updates

Read Robert's Book

Stories from a Theme Park Insider