First Time Cedar Point Visitors..questions

December 31, 2014, 7:42 AM

Hi I will be visiting Cedar Point in June and am assuming a few things. I am an obsessive Disneyworld planner so will take my attention to detail to Cedar Point but on a much smaller scale!

1. We plan on a June Visit but should I worry about school picnics?

2. Week days are much better days to go right? If so any days in particular? Was planning on staying 2 nights.

3. Planning on 2 day ticket is this enough with kids ages from 9 to 15. Two sets of adults though to help littler ones get around while bigger kids on their own.

4. Hotel. Breakers or Breakers Express?

5. EArly entrance a must. Any other tips?

Thank you!

Replies (3)

December 31, 2014, 3:38 PM

A local will probably be a little more helpful but here's what I'd say based on my experience with the park.

1. If you can go during the first couple weeks of June the park will probably be about as dead as Cedar Point ever gets. As the month progresses, crowds will probably pick up, peaking at the heavy level by the end of the month. My visits have been in July and August with crowds ranging from moderate to heavy (I've fortunately managed to avoid the insane crowds and 2 hour waits). Hopefully a local can help you better with this question, as I'm basing this mainly on what I've heard.

2. Week days are always better. I doubt it will matter what days specifically as long as your visits are Mon-Thurs. Just make sure you watch out for special events.

3. I'd generally recommend two days for Cedar Point. On my first visit we only had one day and it wasn't enough. When I went last summer we invested in Fast Lane and found about a day and two-thirds was adequate. Unless you are visiting during peak season or want to get several rides on every major attraction without a Fast Lane a third day probably isn't necessary.

4. Will you have a car? If not, you need to stay at Breakers as there is no shuttle from Breakers Express. Otherwise, it's up to you. I stayed at Breakers Express on my last trip because it was cheaper, but the hotel is very basic (may or may not be a concern). Breakers is finishing renovation this off-season, so it will probably be a much nicer hotel (don't expect Disney quality).

5. A few general tips...

-Get to the park 20 minutes before early entry starts. If you're going to Maverick first, go park in the Soak City lot and enter at the Magnum gate.

-Tour the park sequentially. The map doesn't show it, but Cedar Point is about a mile long and it will take 15-20 minutes to walk from one end to the other. The Cedar Point and Lake Erie Railroad is great for transportation between the Main Midway and Frontiertown, but it is usually quicker to walk than take the Sky Ride down the Main Midway.

-Maverick, Millennium Force, and Top Thrill Dragster will likely have long lines (30-60+ minutes, depending on crowds) throughout the day, but during early entry the wait is often only 10-15 minutes. I recommend using one early entry morning for Maverick and the other for Millennium Force (try to get a few rides in), then going straight to Top Thrill Dragster at opening for at least one day. Raptor also gets huge lines in the morning, but by mid-afternoon it usually shrinks to 30 minutes or less. Most other coasters don't get lines over 30 minutes unless it is really busy or they are operating at reduced capacity. The non-coaster rides usually do not get that long of wait.

-If you choose to ride any of Cedar Point's water rides, prepare to be drenched. Shoot the Rapids is the least wet, but you will still get off dripping. I haven't been on Thunder Canyon, but it looked to have several mandatory waterfalls.

-Lastly, have a good time! Cedar Point is no Disneyworld, but it is the best of the thrill parks (at least in my experience) and I would recommend every theme park enthusiast visits at least once.

December 31, 2014, 5:06 PM

Melissa,
AJ did a great job of answering your questions, but since I am sort of the resident local for Cedar Point in here, I'll jump in here with anything else I can think of, but not tonight. New Years Eve- I wish I could say I had a big wild party to go to, but I have to get up at 3:15 a.m. to get to work tomorrow morning. No party tonight! I'll be in touch, and post any other questions you might have after reading AJ's great response. And WELCOME TO THEME PARK INSIDER!!

January 1, 2015, 9:03 AM

I would recommend Breakers. I think that Breakers Express doesn't have access to some of the perks that the other hotels do (perhaps parking?). Although there are sometimes packages that include those as well.

I would recommend starting your day in the back of the park. Since Cedar Point is so big, most people will be far away at the front, and everything other than Maverick/Dragster/Millennium will have short waits for an hour or two. If you're driving in each day, park in the Soak City lot and enter next to Magnum.

Because there are so many coasters, and the park is so big, it can be easier than you might think to get on most of them with short waits. In addition to the "big three," Raptor, Gatekeeper, and Rougarou are the only rides that might be difficult to ride with a short wait (although some of these might also be running for Early Entry). If you're not riding during EE, wait as long as possible before riding Raptor- the line is often super long until around dinner time.

Don't miss Cedar Downs, one of only two racing carousels in the country.

Try Toft's Ice Cream. They have one in the park, or you can go to the one in town (maybe 15 minutes away). Some of the best Ice Cream I've ever had!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive