Do you think Muppet Vision 3D is dated?

January 31, 2015, 5:52 PM

Hi, It's me. I was thinking of Walt Disney Studios Paris Park. Of course, adding Muppet Vision 3D.

A user SMCD, says that Muppet Vision is getting dated.

Do you think Muppet Vision 3D is dated?

Replies (19)

January 31, 2015, 6:42 PM

Do I love the Muppets? Yes, especially with the master Jim Henson's involvement, like Muppet Vision 3D before he died in 1990. Is Muppet Vision 3D getting dated? A little, but not enough to pull it out of the parks.

February 1, 2015, 2:55 PM

It's still a must see for me whenever I visit DHS. Any ride can get a little dated once it gets to a certain age, so I would be ok with some slight touch ups. That being said, I love the Muppet Vision 3D Show!

February 1, 2015, 3:44 PM

Ray Havens, Me Too.

February 1, 2015, 4:37 PM

MuppetVision 3D will be 25 years old next year. I don't know how it is in Florida, but in California it now only plays sporadically and is often replaced with a preview for the latest Disney movie (or, at the moment, the Frozen sing-a-long show). It has never been very popular here, and I don't see it being around too much longer at DCA (if it even returns at all). If the show is more popular in Florida, it may stay, but it is definitely getting to the point where it can be considered dated. If there is a new version of MuppetVision created, that could potentially be added to more Disney parks, but I don't see the current version ever being installed elsewhere. I'm also not sure that Walt Disney Studios Paris will ever get a Muppet show as I don't know how popular the series is in Europe.

February 2, 2015, 8:34 AM

Consider MuppetVision gone for good at California Adventure. The whole theater was made over for Frozen. It will take a lot of money to bring it back. Unless there is renewed interest for the Muppets (unlikely due to the box office bomb of the last movie), they won't put any money on a new Muppets movie and theater remodel. MuppetVision had decreased attendance over the years. That's why they put in movie previews. Consider The Bug's Life going away at California Adventure too. It will be the new movie preview site for the live action Cinderella movie. Movie attractions have limited shelf life. Makes me wonder how long the Frozen sing-a-long will last.

Edited: February 2, 2015, 8:35 AM

I like it and still has the ingredients for a good show, but I think it does need a refresh. Trouble is when you have seen something many times (in 25 years) it does become a little boring. I've been to the one in DHS and still seems quite busy, but when I saw it in DCA in October we were virtually the only people in there. I may be wrong, but in my mind the DHS version seemed to have a bit more going on, more effects etc.

Edited: February 2, 2015, 9:12 AM

"unlikely due to the box office bomb of the last movie"

Hardly what I would categorize as a "bomb". It made $51 million domestically ($80 million worldwide in just 28 markets) on a $50 million budget. It was not successful, certainly not as much as its predecessor that did $88 million ($165 worldwide) on a $45 million budget. It may not have been a "bomb", but was not a good sign for the resurgence of the Muppets after the revitalization in 2011. Personally, I thought Most Wanted was cute, but lacked the heart of the 2011 movie. I do find it interesting that they would consider adding to DSP, because the last two movies didn't even play in France, and Most Wanted was actually a bit demeaning towards the French (Ty Burrell's character is a bumbling French Interpol agent).

I think the only thing keeping Muppet Vision at DHS is Disney not wanting to spend money on that side of the park until the Star Wars development is finalized.

Edited: February 2, 2015, 9:22 AM

"It made $51 million domestically"

A failure. You don't like to include worldwide in your analysis, yet this was your chance to add it in. To breakeven in the domestic market, it should earn a minimum of $100 million. The previous movie did $88 million on $45 million, which means it was a hair short of breaking even domestically. Why did they make such a flop of a movie? You have to ask Tina Fey, who wore a Soviet style military outfit while Russia invaded Crimea. Really funny.

I suppose if Americans want to see the Muppets, they are only 5% of the audience of Frozen. Muppets not coming back.

February 2, 2015, 5:29 PM

5%? Where did you pull that figure?

Are the Muppets dated? Actually not. With the exception of the ending, there isn't anything particularity dated in the show.

Works well at DHS.

Edited: February 2, 2015, 5:39 PM

"Movie attractions have limited shelf life. Makes me wonder how long the Frozen sing-a-long will last."

The Frozen sing along (and all the Frozen DCA attractions/ activities) are all actually limited time. The "Frozen Fun" is scheduled until May 15th, so the sing along will be gone at that point.

In terms of movie attractions having a shelf life.....I'd say yes & no. It ultimately depends on the source material.

The Muppets haven't been huge draw for decades. They've always maintained some form of popularity, but after the Muppet Show (& to a lesser degree Muppet Babies / Fraggle Rock), it seems they settled into that comfortable place of Americana (Garfield, Scooby Doo, etc.) Familiar & well liked, but not on the level of some of the other beloved characters.

The 2011 movie (which was more self aware) received a positive critical & commercial reception & I thought the sequel could have been bigger, if Jason Segal & Amy Adams returned.

That being said, they'll float under the radar now & in another 5 -10 years, they'll get another boost. They aren't going anywhere.

The attraction itself, while entertaining, just seems odd & lonely (at least the DCA version does). There's no "muppet land" & it's not Disney enough to blend in like Pixar and some of their other properties.

February 3, 2015, 12:14 PM

I'm ok with the Muppets having a show in the park, but I just wish it was more varied and updated. Once you see it a few times there is no reason to see it again. Multiple shows would give more life to these 3D movie attractions. Either have different shows throughout the day or different shows depending on the day you visited the park.

The exterior of the theater needs a major overhaul though. Needs to be themes to the run down theater the Muppets own as seen in the movie as opposed to the concrete "studio" box that currently holds the attraction.

If upper wanted to boost the charachters popularity even further they'd put a dark ride in the old "Millionare" building where you go on some misadventure with the Muppet crew.

February 3, 2015, 1:09 PM

"If upper wanted to boost the charachters popularity even further they'd put a dark ride in the old "Millionare" building where you go on some misadventure with the Muppet crew."

That wouldn't make any sense. Toy Story Midway Mania (DHS's most popular attraction) is housed in the old Millionaire studio, and is going to be expanding to the next studio over (rotating exhibit attraction to Disney movies) to increase capacity.

I doubt the Muppets will survive once they start work on the Star Wars and/or Pixar Place expansions. There is absolutely no reason for them to refresh or improve Muppet Vision right now.

February 3, 2015, 1:53 PM

I meant at DCA. The Millionare building there isn't being used for anything other than special events.

February 3, 2015, 3:36 PM

"The "Frozen Fun" is scheduled until May 15th, so the sing along will be gone at that point."

The Frozen Fun was extended at DHS at Disney World. There is absolutely no reason to not extend it into the Diamond Celebration, then into the Fall holiday season. According to Mousewait, there's a 60 minute wait for Olaf, a 125 minute wait for Anna and Elsa, 5 minutes for Olaf's Snow Fest, no wait times posted for the Frozen SingAlong.

The only thing that could go away is the Olaf's Snow Fest as it will likely be impossible to run in the summer.

The idea that they will suddenly close the Frozen SingAlong a week before the Diamond Celebration with nothing there to replace it doesn't sound reasonable. It sounds like they're out of their minds.

Edited: February 3, 2015, 5:50 PM

It's possible, due to popularity, that it will be extended. The new short will be released this spring, but I'm assuming there's a reason why that end date was chosen. I don't think it will continue in it's current form.

The Animation Academy right now is exclusively Frozen character drawings, but Pixar's "Inside Out" opens this summer. I can't see them excluding new popular characters. Those Inside Out characters already look like they'll be "drawable. I can't see Frozen hogging up the Animation Academy during the prime summer season. That's 1 part of Frozen Fun that could go away.

As you said, the Snow Fest won't run during the summer. That's 2 parts of Frozen Fun that's gone.

Freeze the night could go either way, but during summer, they may want the more adult Mad T Party (which was reported to return) for those late summer nights.

I'm sure the meet & greets will stay & possibly the sing along, but then it won't "really" be Frozen Fun - The Event in it's current incarnation, more like a few popular Frozen activities.

Edited: February 3, 2015, 11:13 PM

"That's 1 part of Frozen Fun that could go away"

No, not exactly. The Pixar movie will barely be out. No one knows the characters yet. Frozen was released for at least six months before the characters débuted in the parks and only after high demand. The Animation Academy just doesn't change that quickly. Besides, Elsa and Anna will still be next door. Kids will still want to draw Olaf and enjoy the Frozen media show in the lobby.

"Freeze the night could go either way"

Yes, but will they spend the money so soon to reintroduce the Mad T Party? I think not. Perhaps they will save their Frozen investment and slightly change the entertainment. Dump the ice carving demonstration. Change the costumes and music sets. Turn the show into something familiar yet different.

"then it won't "really" be Frozen Fun"

No, it will still be Frozen Fun. No one will notice the change in Frozen attractions. It is still Bug's Land although they closed the Bug's Life movie.

Edited: February 4, 2015, 4:04 PM

"No, not exactly. The Pixar movie will barely be out. No one knows the characters yet. Frozen was released for at least six months before the characters débuted in the parks and only after high demand. The Animation "Academy just doesn't change that quickly."

That's a good point, but I'm referring to the Character drawing class. Right now, it's just exclusively Frozen characters that guest can draw...."Do You Want to Draw A Snowman". Big Hero 6 was released in November & Baymax was a drawable character that same month (& a meet in greet in DL). I'm not saying Olaf will be taken away, but I doubt that Olaf & the ice monster will be the only 2 drawing options for the duration of summer. Even if they stay on the roster, I don't think it will be pitched exclusively as "Do Ypu Want To Draw a Snowman".

"Yes, but will they spend the money so soon to reintroduce the Mad T Party? I think not. Perhaps they will save their Frozen investment and slightly change the entertainment"

Another good point, but the entertainment in that area (Mad T, Tron) has always leaned a little older. Freeze the Night is aimed directly at the family crowd, which isn't the standard summer night entertainment. And even it is slightly modified, that's a slight "melting" (pun intended :-) of the Frozen theme.

"No, it will still be Frozen Fun."

But I meant it it's current "promotional" form. Right now, there are specific ads highlighting all these attractions / activities COLLECTIVELY as "Frozen Fun". That's the theme that's on the current DCA park maps & it's being marketed as such. Even if 2 of these things remain, it's not the same "Grand" Frozen experience that they are offering now.

A Bugs Land is an actual land, Frozen takes up residence in random areas of Hollywood Land, those are different comparisons.

I'm just saying, May 15th was (originally) chosen for a reason. Like I said, it could be extended, but it's not like they weren't aware of summer / diamond celebration before setting the closing date.

May 15th is 10 days before Memorial Day weekend, I don't think that was a random date. (And that week & a half before the holiday weekend?......enough time to remove / alter / add something different??)

Ultimately you could be right about all of this Anon, I'm just looking at why are they ending it RIGHT before the unofficial kick of of summer?

February 4, 2015, 5:03 PM

"But I meant it it's current "promotional" form."

Yes, you're correct. They could very well end the "Frozen Fun" on May 15th, but still keep the popular portions like the Anna and Elsa meet and greets and the SingAlong. The odds of the Character drawing class and the nightclub party surviving is much less. Olaf's Snow Fest will go away, but this will mean Olaf's meet and greet is likely to be relocated or discontinued.

Weren't we talking about the SingAlong to begin with? I think there's a greater chance for this continuing that not. Perhaps we should look for any sign that this attraction will be in rehab in May or June.

February 4, 2015, 7:53 PM

That's true. I think the sing along (and of course the meet n greet) will be the most likely to stay!

I've always thought that Mickeys Philharmonic could take the place of the muppets.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive