Theme Park Review blocked me for no reason

October 17, 2015, 7:02 PM

Don't know why they did but I don't care. I'm not a member of club TPR and I'm not a fan of Robb Alvey but I didn't say anything to them/him. I'm a proud member of ACE. Has anyone else on this site been blocked by TPR for no reason?

Replies (11)

October 18, 2015, 3:04 AM

I just generally stay away from that site because I find it too hard to navigate. This is the best theme park website on the world wide web and so much better organized than that nightmare of a website.

October 18, 2015, 6:37 AM

@disneyversal
TPI IS the best theme park site in the whole web!

October 18, 2015, 9:14 AM

I agree with Disneyversal- although TPR probably has a lot of cool stuff, its WAY too hard to navigate. TPI is much more user friendly.

October 18, 2015, 12:31 PM

How much should I say about this? I guess it wouldn't hurt to tell the story, though I'll keep it to the brief version. Also, a disclaimer: I am not trying to attack anyone, only stating what has happened from my perspective. If anything here goes too far for TPI, I will gladly remove it.

I was a very active member on TPR from 2008 to 2015, visiting the site on a daily basis and frequently posting about various parks. During that time, I usually attended at least one event per year, went on several of their group trips, and paid for a ClubTPR membership each year. I got banned from the site in Spring 2015 (it was either late April or early May) because I posted a comment on a friend's Facebook post (said friend was a former TPR member but had severed ties with the site). The post was about several bans that had occurred at the time due to someone posting a video of Twisted Colossus testing that had been shot by another theme park site, and my comment was something along the lines of "I disagree with this action, and although Robb can do what he wants the site isn't what it once was." When I politely contacted Robb to discuss the ban, I received a very rude response and then had my email blocked, so I decided it wasn't worth it. I am not the only one...many of my friends who I met on the various trips have been kicked off the site, some for simply liking another theme park website that was started by a former TPR member (the site is Park Journey, in case anyone is curious).

Now, I have not jumped on the TPR hate train and I certainly don't want the website to go die, but I do not think it is worth supporting a site that bans members for activities not directly related to the group (or that bans members in such large quantities in general). Personally, I still think TPR has the best roller coaster POV videos out there as well as the most comprehensive database on international theme parks, but the discussion boards have been taking a nosedive in quality over the past couple years and TPR has severely cut back on trips and events (including making the former invite-only). Personally, I feel that Robb should retire from managing the TPR forums and social media pages and just focus on theme park coverage and videos, as based on what I've seen over the past year I have a feeling he may end up single-handedly killing TPR off over the next couple years if things don't change soon. My guess is that he has gotten tired of running the site after all these years, but as the site became his full time job a few years ago there really isn't a viable exit option at the moment.

For anyone here who wants to check out TPR, I would not discourage you from doing so. There is some good stuff on there if you can find it. I will just say this: If you decide to join, know that Robb has developed a "my way or the highway" mentality and has almost zero tolerance for disagreements or rule breaking. The site has plenty of value still, but it is definitely not what it once was.

Edited: October 18, 2015, 3:17 PM

OUTSTANDING! Now I am gonna have to find this Robb guy (really with two "b's"?) and do everything I can to piss him off.

Stay tuned!

October 18, 2015, 10:11 PM

While I appreciate everyone's input, I think that most readers would appreciate keeping the meta drama to a minimum.

I try to make this site as easy-to-use, rewarding, and welcoming as I can. And I appreciate help from others in doing that when I my efforts fall short. But I don't want to get bogged down talking about others' efforts. And, as website publisher, I especially don't want to criticize any other independent publishers. I know how hard it is to run a website.

I wish everyone else in the independent publishing community well and I welcome all the readers who have chosen to visit Theme Park Insider.

October 19, 2015, 7:53 AM

(Chuckle)

October 19, 2015, 3:09 PM

I was not a ClubTPR member, I was just blocked from there Instagram after posting something about an ACE event.

Edited: October 19, 2015, 3:49 PM

That would explain it. While not officially stated in the rules, TPR prohibits posting of content from any other organization on any of their pages, and ACE is one of the organizations they specifically dislike due to past issues with the group.

October 21, 2015, 7:46 AM

I keep wondering why Robert has not blocked me from this site... hahahaha...

Never heard of TPR - The force is strong here at TPI, no need to go anywhere else.

Happy BTTF day!

October 21, 2015, 10:42 AM

Unfortunate to hear about these incidents, but well said Robert.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive