My predictions for new RMC coasters in 2017

June 23, 2016, 9:35 AM

Steel Monstre - La Ronde
Not running well this year. Plus the park hasn't gotten a new coaster since 2006 and only one train got refurbed per track this year.
IronCat - Hersheypark
Hershey is teasing something new and this one has been on everyone's list for the treatment.
Son of Mean Streak - Cedar Point (2018)
Mean Streak will close this year, but not open back up until 2018. It only got 2 of its trains back from the shop and rumor has it the budget for the ride ends in July.

What do you think?

Replies (5)

Edited: June 24, 2016, 7:40 PM

Le Monstre- Rough six flags coaster. Of all possible 2017 RMCs this is probably the most likley and the most mentioned.
The Boss- Another rough six flags coaster. Could also be a RMC next year.
Hurler- Ride closed for the 2016 season, so a RMCing is totally possible.

I did not put a fourth coaster, as this year RMC did 4 coasters and they struggled with lots of technical problems, especially with Ligtning Rod. I feel like next year they're going to scale it down a bit.

June 24, 2016, 9:32 PM

For Six Flags, I see one or two RMC projects in 2017. I've heard strong reports that RMC has purchased the prototype T-Rex coaster and intends to install it in 2017, so I expect to see this one. My guess is SFOG given that it is an anniversary year and they made a big deal about a ride removal, but SFOT or SFStL would also be possibilities. If Six Flags gets a second RMC, I'm expecting an I-Box of either Monstre or (less likely) SFA's Roar.

Outside of Six Flags, I really don't see too much as a likely RMC project for next year. Although Cedar Fair has several coaster projects, none really seem likely as RMC: Hurler's retrack will probably be a GCI refurb similar to GhostRider, Kings Island's new coaster looks more like a GCI than a RMC, I can't see either Canada's Wonderland or Worlds of Fun going RMC if they get a coaster in 2017 (I expect one will receive a B&M and the other won't get a coaster in 2017), and while Mean Streak is likely receiving a RMC I-Box conversion I strongly suspect it will be for 2018. Elsewhere, Hersheypark has teased a 2017 project but I'm predicting a drop tower rather than a roller coaster (the park is coaster saturated IMO) and the only other park that looks possible for 2017 is Silverwood (who has reportedly begun working with RMC on an unknown project).

Honestly, I think RMC will have few projects in 2017 and will instead be busy with producing track for S&S free spins (one has been announced, and I'm sure Six Flags will be doing one or two). It is definitely possible that an international park could announce something, but for North America I'm expecting one or two Six Flags rides and that's it for 2017 RMCs.

June 25, 2016, 8:44 PM

Kings Dominion confirmed that Hurler will be an in house job.

June 27, 2016, 4:56 PM

Timber Wolf at Worlds of Fun could definitely use some RMC love - although even they may not be able to save it. Perhaps a bonfire might be best, with a brand new steel coaster rising from the ashes to replace the beleaguered Wolf?

Edited: June 28, 2016, 10:44 AM

I've heard that the contact was recently signed to have RMC fix Mean Streak. I don't know if that means steel rails, but based on the size of Mean Streak, re-profiling hills and laying new track isn't going to give the wow factor that Cedar Point demands of their coasters.

An RMC steel railed refurb is now the only really obvious piece of hardware Cedar Point is missing.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive