Theme park rides under construction at Disney, Universal and other top parks
The next big thing in American theme parks will be Universal's Epic Universe, which will open in 2025 on the new south campus of the Universal Orlando Resort, near the Orange County Convention Center. Meanwhile, Disney is replacing its former Splash Mountain log flume rides with Tiana's Bayou Adventure, which will debut at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom and Disneyland in 2024.
Here is our list of all the top new theme park attractions coming in the months and years ahead. For reviews of everything that has opened so far this year and in past years, please follow these links:
2023 | 2022 | 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016
- Project Horizon - Unnamed dark ride on the site of the former Alton Mouse.
- Top Thrill 2 - A Zamperla redesign of the former Top Thrill Dragster replaces the hydraulic launch with a multi-pass LSM launch, adding a new spike track to the Strata coaster. Opens for the 2024 season.
Disney California Adventure
- Unnamed Avengers ride - A multiverse adventure, likely with motion-base vehicles, will open in Avengers Campus at an unspecified date.
- Iron Menace - 160-foot-tall Bolliger & Mabillard Dive Coaster, with a 152-foot, 95-degree drop, four inversions and a top speed of 64 miles per hour on 2,169 feet of track. Opens 2024.
- Jungle Rush - Roller coaster from Vekoma, featuring an inclined turntable and 12 airtime elements.
- Danse Macabre - A new model of spinning ride from Intamin replaces Spookslot and opens in 2024.
- Journey of Water, Inspired by Moana - This walk through exhibit in World Nature will open October 16, 2023.
- Luminous: The Symphony of Us - New World Showcase lagoon nighttime spectacular will open December 5, 2023.
- Test Track - A reimagined version of the ride will open at a future date.
- The next gate at the Universal Orlando Resort opens on Universal's new south campus, across from the Orange County Convention Center, in 2025. Lands will include Super Nintendo World (with a Donkey Kong coaster), Harry Potter Fantastic Beasts, Universal Classic Monsters, How to Train Your Dragon.
- Voltron Nevera powered by Rimac - A new 4,544-foot, 105-foot-tall Mack Rides Stryker Coaster with a top speed of 56 mph will anchor the park's upcoming Croatia land in 2024.
Holiday World and Splashin' Safari
- Good Gravy! - This Thanksgiving-themed Vekoma Family Boomerang opens in 2024.
Hong Kong Disneyland
- World of Frozen - Featuring a clone of Epcot's Frozen Ever After boat ride and a Wandering Oaken's Sliding Sleighs family roller coaster. Opens November 20, 2023.
- Avengers Campus - Incorporating Tomorrowland's Iron Man and Ant-Man attractions along with another officially unannounced ride.
- Camp Snoopy - The park's 2024 expansion of Planet Snoopy will include Beagle Scout Acres, a covered, nature-themed play area, as well as Snoopy's Soap Box Racers, a Vekoma Family Boomerang coaster.
Knott's Berry Farm
- MonteZOOMa: The Forbidden Fortress - The park's former Montezooma's Revenge is getting a new name and a rebuild. The new ride will feature a randomized launch sequence and its queue will get story upgrades about doomed treasure hunters searching for Montezooma's gold. Was set to open in 2023, but there's no official date yet.
Mattel Adventure Park
- Part of the new VAI Resort complex in Glendale, Arizona, this toy-themed park will include two Hot Wheels roller coasters and a Barbie Beach House with a Dream Closet Experience featuring Barbie in "hologram" form. Opens 2024.
Peppa Pig Theme Park Texas
- The second Peppa Pig park in the United States will open in 2024 in North Richland Hills, near Forth Worth.
- Penguin Trek - A two-launch Bolliger & Mabillard family coaster, themed to Antarctica and featuring the park's penguin habitat at its exit. Opens spring 2024.
SeaWorld San Antonio
- Catapult Falls - A launched "flume coaster" featuring a 55-foot elevator lift and a 53-degree, 37 mph drop. Announced for 2023 but delayed until spring 2024.
SeaWorld San Diego
- Zootopia - A new land themed to the Disney animated film. No date yet.
Silver Dollar City
- Fire in the Hole - An all-new version of the park's classic dark ride roller coaster will be built by Rocky Mountain Construction in a new five-story building behind Fireman's Landing, which will be expanded and renamed the Fire District. Opens 2024.
Six Flags America
- SteamTown - A 2024 retheme of the old Coyote Creek section of the park, adding a new NebulaZ ride, called SteamWhirler.
Six Flags Fiesta Texas
- Expanded DC Universe - Adding Cyborg Cyber Revolution (a Zamperla NebulaZ), a rotating family drop tower called Shazam: Tower of Eternity, and a Metropolis Transit Authority monorail ride for 2024.
Six Flags Great Adventure
- The Flash: Vertical Velocity - North America's first Vekoma Super Boomerang. The 1,430-foot coaster will reach a top speed of 59 mph while running forward and backward through through a 180-degree twisted drop and zero-G roll. Opens 2024.
Six Flags Great America
- Sky Striker - A Zamperla Giga Discovery pendulum ride for the 2024 season
Six Flags Great Escape
- Bobcat - A 55-foot-tall Gravitykraft family wooden coaster with a top speed of 40 mph, running Timberliner trains. Opens 2024.
Six Flags Over Georgia
Six Flags Over Texas
- El Rio Lento - Rebuild of the world's first log flume ride, with "one new lift hill and two big drops including a giant, steep nosedive." Opens 2024.
Six Flags St. Louis
- Project Exodus - Unnamed roller coaster promised to be the UK's tallest and fastest.
- Fantasy Springs - A new "port" between Arabian Coast and Lost River Delta that will include four new attractions, three restaurants and a hotel, with the attractions themed to the Disney films "Frozen," "Tangled," and "Peter Pan." Opening Spring 2024.
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios Japan
- Donkey Kong - A Super Nintendo World expansion, opening in 2024.
Universal Studios Singapore
- Minion Land - Another "Despicable Me"-themed land.
- Super Nintendo World - Another installation of Universal's Mario-themed land. Both lands are expected to be complete by 2025.
Unnamed Universal Studios Theme Park
- This 30-acre park will be designed for families with young children and open in Frisco, Texas - near Dallas - before June 2026.
Walt Disney World - Magic Kingdom
- Country Bear Musical Jamboree - New version of the Country Bears show will debut in 2024.
- Tiana's Bayou Adventure - Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"-themed makeover of the former Splash Mountain log flume ride debuts in 2024.
Warner Bros. Movie World
- Flash: Speed Force - Intamin Surf Rider coaster.
Warner Bros. World Abu Dhabi
- Harry Potter - The park's first land based on a single non-animated IP is expected to open in 2025. Since this is not being designed by Universal, expect a different attraction line-up than we have seen in other Harry Potter lands in Universal's theme parks.