RUMOR: Mission: Guardians

Edited: June 29, 2016, 7:47 AM

A new rumor has started gaining a little bit of attention, but thought it might be worth talking about. The newest rumor is that Mission: Space might be getting a Guardians overlay. This rumor might not come as a shock considering that the DCA ToT rumor has a good chance of happening and Florida might be next for a Guardians ride.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/06/rumor-mission-space-getting-guardians-of-the-galaxy-overlay-more-ip-attractions-coming-to-epcot/

EDIT: The link leads to "Page not found" but it's a featured article on that site.

Replies (12)

Edited: June 29, 2016, 9:03 AM

Mission Space needs more IP because it is just not working.

Even more interesting "There has certainly been rumors of the TRON Lightcycle Power Run attraction coming to Walt Disney World, even before it was announced for Shanghai Disneyland. Current rumblings place the TRON ride somewhere in Future World, while inside sources seem confident that the Ratatouille attraction from Paris will land in the France pavilion before the end of the decade."

June 29, 2016, 10:11 AM

Guardians of the Galaxy overhaul for Stich's Great escape would work.

June 29, 2016, 11:27 AM

I vote for Stich or Mission Space to become Gardians.

June 29, 2016, 12:24 PM

I think they should turn Mission Space into Gurdians and turn Stitch into a meet and greet since there really isn't enough room to make a good Guardians attraction, which it deserves

June 29, 2016, 1:19 PM

Wow both ideas are great, however I am all for Guardians being at Stitch because Mission Space makes me downright sick.

June 29, 2016, 2:35 PM

Honestly, Mission: Space is a much better candidate for a Guardians of the Galaxy overlay than Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. The big problem, however, is Epcot. If Disney intends to keep the theme of Epcot the same, no Marvel property has any place in the park. While the previous IP additions to the park were at least semi-relevant, Guardians has nothing to do with Future World and there is no chance for a full Marvel Land in Florida. Yes, they could do Guardians in Tomorrowland, but that isn't a great fit either. It's tough...I'd love to see Guardians in a theme park, but outside of a designated Marvel Land there isn't a single place in any Disney park where the property really fits.

As for Epcot, does Disney want to keep it the same? The park seems far less popular now than it once was, and perhaps adding IP is necessary to stay relevant in today's theme park industry. I have nothing against the use of IP in theme parks, but I'd much rather see Disney try to utilize appropriate IP additions rather than simply squeeze popular IP in wherever they can, as the latter could result in loss of individual park identity. Ratatouille, for example, would be a great attraction to add in addition to (not replacing) the current French Pavilion attractions. Tron, on the other hand, has no place in Epcot. I'm honestly curious what will happen, because it could go either way. Whatever happens, we will likely know within 5 years whether Epcot will stay Epcot or will become Disney's International IP Adventure. Regardless, I'm definitely starting to think I better get to WDW sooner rather than later if I want to visit the WDW I wanted to visit as a kid.

June 29, 2016, 3:58 PM

We're just spitballing now, aren't we?

June 29, 2016, 4:12 PM

Does Disney have theme park rights to Guardians on the east coast?. I'd think they wouldn't because it's Marvel

June 29, 2016, 4:26 PM

DPCC, while Universal has the theme park rights to Marvel, when the contract was made, Guardians was pretty much a no-name comic which gave Disney a loophole with putting it in their Orlando parks. Much like Big Hero 6

June 30, 2016, 11:34 AM

Rumor has changed to Guardians replacing the Energy attraction and the building might be gutted or replaced entirely. Also, hinted Mission Space will get a big overhaul, but delayed until who knows when.

June 30, 2016, 4:21 PM

I think they should go in where Stitch was. It fits the best.

I really think Energy will survive in one way or another. It has the iconic dinosaurs which are also found in Disneyland RR

July 3, 2016, 3:28 AM

I hope Ratatouille remains a Paris exclusive. As much as I'd love it to show up at EPCOT, if it did, then what would be the point of going to the Paris park, besides their castle? It'd be like cloning Mystic Manor. Some parks really need an exclusive marquee attraction as a draw.

Off topic, but I'd like to see Hong Kong change their castle. Tokyo too. Stop with the cloning, already!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive