Typhoon Lagoon's Shark Reef to Close

August 25, 2016, 9:04 AM

As Universal's new water park is getting some attention on the site, it seemed appropriate to leak this news here. Two cast members confirmed to me last week that Shark Reef will close at the end of the season to make way for a new slide.

I think this is a mistake, especially now. It was their best chance to separate themselves from new competition, and theyre filling it in. The cast members did say, however, that this isn't the first time they've been told the reef is closing, but it is the first time they've known about the replacement. So, it may not be closing, but it seems pretty likely.

Replies (5)

August 25, 2016, 9:16 AM

That was one of my favorite things there. Dang it.

August 25, 2016, 10:49 AM

This was the one attraction that set Typhoon Lagoon apart from all other water parks (aside from Discovery Cove of course). The ability to snorkel in a huge salt water tank is a unique experience, and I hope that this rumor is not true.

August 25, 2016, 12:35 PM

The new slide is going to be called miss fortune falls based on a bird that got stranded on the island during the typhoon. Also apparently it will be a family raft ride.

August 25, 2016, 3:28 PM

I'd take a new raft ride over the sharks tbh

August 27, 2016, 6:39 AM

Disney has ample space to build things. Why not keep the Shark Reef. It is a pretty fun attraction.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive