Best ride at Universal??

October 20, 2016, 7:17 AM

I'm going to Universal Hollywood soon for the first time and I would like to see which ones are the funnest to ride. I can handle loops, drops, speed and motion sickness so yeah.

Replies (10)

October 20, 2016, 12:26 PM

Loops, drops and speed are not things you will find in abundance at Universal Studios Hollywood. :^)

On our Universal Studios Hollywood page, we've got:

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
Studio Tour
Waterworld
Jurassic Park - The Ride
Transformers The Ride 3D
The Simpsons Ride

...listed as our "Must Do" attractions, though I'd also recommend The Walking Dead walk-through if you are into Halloween Horror Nights-type stuff year-round.

None of these are roller coasters, though Harry Potter is a robot-arm attraction with significant seat movement in all directions.

October 20, 2016, 2:51 PM

For the most part, USH's attractions are not any more intense than those at the Disneyland Resort. Nothing goes upside down, Jurassic Park is the only ride with a notable drop, and most speed is simulated. The park does have a lot of motion simulators, however, so being resistant to motion sickness is a huge plus.

As for what ride is best, this will vary a lot depending on who you ask. For me, I would list the park's top five rides as:

1. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
2. The Simpsons Ride
3. Transformers: The Ride 3D
4. Jurassic Park-The Ride
5. Studio Tour

Additionally, Waterworld and the Walking Dead would be on that list if you include non-ride attractions.

If you're looking for a roller coaster, Revenge of the Mummy is the only notable one at the park (they've also got Flight of the Hippogriff, but that is a junior coaster). Mummy is a pretty good roller coaster that is somewhere between Space Mountain and California Screamin' in intensity (and which I rank between those two in quality). It has two launches, a backwards section, and takes place in the dark, but it is extremely short.

October 20, 2016, 5:30 PM

1. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
2. Studio Tour
3. Transformers: The Ride 3-D
4. Jurrasic Park - The Ride
5. Revenge of the Mummy - The Ride

I would recommend buying the front of the line pass. It's more expensive, but worth it. The park isn't that big, you'll be done with the park quick with the front of the line pass. If "Extra" is filming, check that out.

October 20, 2016, 6:08 PM

If you get to the park when it opens, I can't imagine needing a front of line pass to do everything in one day.

October 20, 2016, 8:13 PM

I'm going to get a pass before the visit and go on a GhostTown day with my friends.

October 20, 2016, 9:53 PM

I would only recommend front of the line at USH if you are visiting during a holiday period AND you've got less than 6 hours for the park. Otherwise, it is just too expensive as the park can be done in a day even during peak periods. Assuming you are going on a weekday, lines are often no more than 15 minutes in November. Weekends can be busier, but the park rarely gets 60+ minute waits. In the event that it is really busy, four attractions (Forbidden Journey, Jurassic Park, Mummy, and Transformers) all have single rider lines that will get you on in about 5 minutes on all but the busiest days.

The main thing to be aware of is that Wizarding World of Harry Potter has early entry, so if you are not participating in that do not visit it first. Instead, go directly to the Lower Lot and you should be able to do the rides down there with no waiting at all. Once you're done (get re-rides if desired as accessing the Lower Lot is a bit of a hassle), return to the Upper Lot and do Despicable Me and Simpsons, then work in the shows and Studio Tour in whatever order works best (note that Walking Dead operates like a show in that it is only open during specific times and they close the line if it gets too long). Wait until after 2 P.M. to enter Wizarding World of Harry Potter as most of the crowd will have moved on to other areas of the park by then.

Edited: October 21, 2016, 12:44 PM

Hpentcoaster, If you can afford it, and are willing to spend the money, I might still get a front of the line pass. I don't know when you are planning to visit, but if you're visiting during Christmas time, especially the week between Christmas and New Years, it will be quite busy. I would get the front of the line pass. If you're willing to spend the money, honestly, why take a chance to wait on long lines? Nobody knows with absolute certainty what the lines will be like on the day you visit.

You can't assume the park won't be busy, what if it is, then you're stuck waiting on lines all day. I would just play it safe. Again, if you can afford it, and are willing to spend the money. It doesn't matter what time of year you go, Disney and Universal are always busy. There really is no "slow time" of the year anymore.

Even though I like Universal Studios Hollywood, if you ever have a chance, visit Universal Orlando. To be honest, it blows Hollywood away. There are two parks - Universal Studios, and Islands of Adventure. They have the same rides as Hollywood, with many more as well. They also offer three resorts. If you stay at one of them, all you have to do is show your room key, and you walk right in front of the lines. The hotels can be a little pricey, but it's worth it. You can walk to both parks from the hotels as well. I typically stay at the Hard Rock Hotel, the pool is great there as well.

Enjoy your trip! You'll have a great time!

October 21, 2016, 4:43 PM

So many responses :3. So amazing!

October 21, 2016, 6:03 PM

1) Mummy
2) Studio Tour
3) Forbidden Journey
4) Jurassic Park

October 22, 2016, 7:19 AM

I would highly recommend the Studio Tour. There isn't anything else like it and it is the real deal!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive