What's going on with Cobra at Six Flags La Ronde Montréal?

May 23, 2017, 6:17 AM

So the park has just reopened and I noticed that Cobra is no longer accesible. The coaster has been fenced off and is no longer accessible to the public. It has never been a popular coaster, basically a standup ball buster of a ride.

Anyone any ideas, sold, dismantled, being replaced?

Replies (5)

Edited: May 23, 2017, 7:24 AM

It's officially SBNO (standing but not operating). It has been removed from the park's website and maps, which means it's not likely to reopen. Stand up coasters have been getting removed or converted to sit down models at a pretty high rate of late. A conversion here is unlikely, because only B&M's have been getting the floorless conversion like Rougaroo at Cedar Point and Patriot at Great America (this is an Intamin with Giovanola track).

I suppose there's a possibility B&M could come in and design custom trains for a floorless or sitdown conversion, but at the very least the coaster is done as a stand-up model. There are only five (5) stand-up coasters left in North America (all B&Ms) - Vortex at Carowinds, Riddler's Revenge at SFMM, Georgia Scorcher at SFoG, Green Lantern at SFGAdv (formerly Chang at Kentucky Kingdom), and Apocalypse at SFA (formerly Iron Wolf at SFGA). The model is not going extinct right now, but if you enjoy stand-up coasters, I would get my rides in over the next 5-10 years, because they're unlikely to survive more than another decade.

May 23, 2017, 2:11 PM

It's not a great ride, for sure it's not the worst standup but it still left me with a headache. I'm not that sad to see it go but I hope it doesn't go for a free-spin or larson loop.

May 23, 2017, 2:41 PM

My understanding is that a problem was discovered with the ride either last season or sometime during the off-season, and since Six Flags has plans for a replacement attraction in 2018 they opted not to invest in repairing the ride. Given the age of the ride and the state it is in, I'm guessing it is very unlikely the ride will be relocated elsewhere.

May 23, 2017, 3:35 PM

Also, I'll add that the ride isn't very popular. While the next door Vampire was drawing filling its queue, Cobra was at a less than a five-minute wait.

May 23, 2017, 7:18 PM

I had no idea Six Flags La Ronde was at Walt Disney World...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive