Guardians Mission Breakout Review and Summer of Heroes

Edited: May 30, 2017, 5:37 AM

At California Adventure at Disneyland Resort, two grand openings that you just have to do. Just do it.

In order to fully experience them, unfortunately you must arrive early and be prepared. Arrive way before park opening. I arrived at about 9am opening. Lines for Standby for Guardians were already estimated to be 180 minutes via the official Disneyland app. I waited 1 hour for Fastpass and was able to get the 5pm Fastpass window at 10am. By then, 300 minutes Standby were posted.

Luckily, Radiator Springs Racers and Soaring were more manageable. Wait times rarely exceeded 90 minutes. Fastpasses were plentiful.

So was Guardians good? Yes, but not what I expected. Certainly, the YouTube videos spoiled it. I've seen too much and I gotten Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot". With Fastpass, I couldn't explore the lobby area much and didn't see the full preshow video. I wouldn't wait 300 minutes to see it anyways so maybe just see YouTube. In the office, I stood in the wrong area and did not see Rocket Raccoon fully. Oh well. As for the ride, it isn't just a drop ride anymore. It's a full experience of getting to your senses. The music, the visual stimulation, and the full up/down motion are overwhelming. I did get motion sickness upon the end. I don't miss Twilight Zone with the ridiculous premise of a haunted hotel with no resolution.

The overlay was actually quite well done. Anyone that says it lacks depth is really saying they hate it. The details are overwhelming as well. You can't absorb everything in one visit. The ride deserves repeat visits. I do think the soundtrack can be repetitive.

As for Summer of Heroes, they offer dance offs like the Guardians with Star Lord and Gamora, but it is really a short show with little dancing. Don't expect much. The viewing area is limited in front of the tower with the Standby line passing by.

They have a superhero attribute test. You get a sticker badge and comic book. Some meet and greets with Black Widow, Spiderman, and Captain America. Black Widow has a better entrance and a role in the interactive show with kids as recruits. Kids must pre-enroll earlier in the day. So I enjoyed Summer of Heroes with my kid.

Replies (1)

May 30, 2017, 1:35 AM

From the videos I've watched the ride looks really good, but I just hope that it doesn't come across to disney world on their tower of terror as it is nice for both parks to keep things unique. Hopefully the new marvel land will help with the overall continuity of the land as it does stick out quite a lot around the park.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive