What can save DLP?

June 11, 2017, 8:15 AM

With the likely Marvel Land coming to Studios Park, will this be enough to "save" DLP? If not, what would you propose to do to help the struggling resort?

Replies (8)

Edited: June 11, 2017, 8:56 AM

Something actually unique that respects the local culture and conditions. Transatlantic flights are cheap; why would I want the effort of going to France, when I can visit Flordia for not much more get the "real" experience rather than a cheap knock off?

June 11, 2017, 9:02 AM

DLP is not a "cheap knock off."

June 11, 2017, 3:30 PM

With Disney taking full ownership, the Paris park won't be starved anymore. Disney will make all management decisions and invest fully. Disney won't be take royalty or management fees that's contributing to losses on the accounting balance sheets. The losses were always artificial. Who knows if this will also play out in Hong Kong and Shanghai. The Shanghai Chinese owners are better off doing the reverse like OLC by taking full ownership and buying out Disney. We will see. Come back in 20 years. I'm sure the Hong Kong Government is impatient and is unwilling to accept any more losses.

June 11, 2017, 11:41 PM

The main park itself is really good, most of the rides have gone through refurbishments the past two years so it looks like new. The thing that needs to save disneyland paris is the walt disney studios, it needs a huge overhaul like california adventure had. It would be great to get a great movie ride to make it feel more like a studios park and it could also do with more pixar such as a cars land and toy story mania. A beauty and the beast musical would also be great.
As for disneyland park, it could do with the never built indiana jones adventure ride and also Star Wars land.

June 12, 2017, 9:33 AM

I could not agree more with TH Creative. Disneyland Paris is stunning. If you are basing your opinion only on reviews others have posted about the park, you are short sighted.
The Walt Disney Studio has great potential (nice way of saying it needs a lot of love) and the castle park will only get better now that it is fully under Disney ownership.

June 12, 2017, 1:07 PM

Disney HAS to improve the food service throughout the parks. France might be the food capital of the world, but the DLPR has by far the worst in-park food in the Disney chain. I know that we tend to focus on the big stuff when thinking about "saving" a park or resort, but it's surprising how much of an effect better food can have in encouraging more per-guest spending, AP sales, and return visits.

All of which makes spending money on another "big thing" much easier to justify.

June 12, 2017, 6:47 PM

Hold off on worst in-park food title until you visit Hong Kong, Robert. It sucks! And they don't have any kind of signature restaurant, such as Walt's. Speaking of HK, when are you planning to finally get out there?

I would love to visit Disneyland Paris. I always hear the castle park is gorgeous, and I still believe the Paris castle is hands down the prettiest. Not even close. I am not too excited about seeing Walt Disney Studios, though I do think it'd be worth checking out, just to do it. I like the building facades of what I've seen surrounding Ratatouille, but at the same time, that's a French facade...in France. Kind of "what's the point?".

I know Hong Kong has a huge $1.4b expansion coming. I'm looking forward to hearing about a big infusion of cash into WDS park. I mean...it's called Walt Disney Studios. It's the one park named directly after the man himself, yet it's gotta be the worst - from what I've read.

I'll let someone else put together a wish list. I'm no good at any of that.

June 13, 2017, 8:28 AM

Having now visited all the castle parks except Tokyo, I'd definitely say Paris is the most beautiful. Especially since the completion of "Project Sparkle" for the 25th anniversary. (Give Shanghai some time though and - chunky, dropped-in castle aside - it'll at least pose a challenge.)

As for the French influence in their parks... There's absolutely a full piece I need to get around to writing about this. But one of the smartest things that DLP have done in recent years has been to double down on the connection to local culture, heritage and language. It's really starting to reshape how the French think about the resort.

The Ratatouille ride isn't perfect, but the setting of it - in a romanticised vision of Paris - is its greatest success. It pulls off the same feat that Buena Vista Street does at DCA, celebrating a mixture of past and fantasy.

Robert's bang-on about food though. Walt's is the only place on site worth getting excited about, and prices there have reached a point recently that I'm hesitant to recommend anymore. Gabriel, certainly it has no counter service option anywhere near the brilliant Explorer's Club! Or any street options as unique as the fried squid.

The news today that TWDC are on track for a full takeover bodes well, but let's not get carried away. While I'm sure capital investment is on the way, I'd be cautious about expecting any sudden announcements of large-scale projects. The first order of business once the French regulators have made a final decision on the takeover attempt - which in itself will take some time - will be to set the house in order. Which is no small effort.

I expect we'll hear nothing significant until the supposedly Marvel-themed stunt show replacing CineMagique has debuted. If that's a success, Mission: Breakout will likely follow while plans for more significant developments are assessed and worked up. (And in the meantime, expect a heady brew of cuts as deep as the investments, as priorities are re-evaluated across the board.)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive