No Sun - No Fun?

August 4, 2017, 2:08 PM

I've spent a little time today looking at the websites for parks that will be along the path of the lunar eclipse on 8/21/17. Six Flags Mid America will not be open, but they will allow people to pay $10 to park in their parking lot to watch the sky. Dollywood is open, but all I could find on their page is special offers at the Dream More resort that includes viewing glasses. WDW is not in the path of totality, but around 3:00pm, the sun will be about 85% blocked by the moon in Orlando.
I'm just sort of surprised there's not something "science-y" happening at Epcot, or a mid-day fireworks show at Magic Kingdom. I checked with Universal Orlando's Matt Korn and nothing is going on there either.
Is this forgotten low hanging fruit, or am I excited over nothing?

Replies (6)

August 5, 2017, 5:54 AM

Six Flags Mid America? What decade are you from? They've have the SF St. Louis suffix for a while.

August 5, 2017, 10:25 AM

No school like the old school!

Edited: August 5, 2017, 11:12 AM

Jaiden - no need for snark.

August 5, 2017, 8:05 PM

I thought science was uncool under the Trump administration.

Edited: August 8, 2017, 9:28 AM

We had a full eclipse here in the U.K. Back in 1999, it was a full solar eclipse but actually didn't get that dark - nowhere near as dark as I think ppl expected, it just went dusk-like (let's say 60-70% dark) for about 10 mins. Not enough time or dark enough to run a night show of any kind. So with an 85% coverage, unless you are actually watching the eclipse itself through special glasses, I don't think it's going to be all that amazing.

August 16, 2017, 6:05 AM

I experienced the 1999 eclipse in France and it was pretty cool, and would have been completely ruined by a fireworks show. What's great is that you seem to watch for ages then suddenly realise it's an odd sort of night-time. Then the animals go crazy. Then it lifts. It's the sensation of day to night and back again that's the best experience and having an event at the same time kind of takes away from that.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive