Wakanda

May 20, 2018, 2:15 PM

When Disneyland announced they were building attractions based on Marvel, I was excited. I’m looking forward to 2020, when it will open at California Adventure. I like the idea of attractions focused on Spider-Man, and The Avengers. I’m just curious, do you think Disneyland would consider building an attraction, and/or area based around Black Panther?

I would love to see a recreation of “Wakanda.” As well as a ride that features Black Panther. It would be a great addition to California Adventure Park. If they did, where could Wakanda go? I know Marvel will take over the area where Bugs Land is now. However, they would need a larger area in the park to create Wakanda.

Would anyone else like to see a Wakanda area in the park? As well as a ride based on Black Panther?

Replies (11)

May 21, 2018, 9:32 PM

I think Wakanda would make a great addition, but I don't think there's enough room to do it justice. I think it would be much better in Animal Kingdom (I don't think Black Panther would breach Universal's hold on certain Marvel characters in Orlando), where they could do it justice and it would fit well into the park's overall theme. They could even kit their rhinos out in battlegear for parades....

May 22, 2018, 7:29 AM

I like the idea a lot.

At Islands of Adventure there is Doctor Doom's Fearfall. The story is that you are entering the embassy of Latveria (The country run by Doctor Doom). I think that would be a great way to incorporate Wakanda into a park. Build the Wakanda Embassy in whatever Marvel area or "land".

May 22, 2018, 9:24 AM

Great Idea, Wrong park to put it in. As Grant said, it would work much better at Animal Kingdom, where it could sit right beside or even inside of the Africa pavilion. Still, Animal Kingdom is suppose to be centered around Animals and wildlife so it might not be wholly fitting.

May 22, 2018, 11:35 AM

Don't kill me y'all - but what about World Showcase?
Wouldn't it make sense in a nonsense way?
Now that the country is out in the open, wouldn't one great way for them to introduce themselves to the average person be a pavilion at Epcot's World Showcase?
African nations are under represented as it is with Morocco being the only African nation at this time. There could be lots of cultural exhibits, a restaurant, shops and of course a ride where something would go horribly wrong forcing the Black Panther to come to the rescue.
Seems like a no brainier and something that would absolutely kill the Epcot purists out there.
OK, fanboys - let me have it.

May 22, 2018, 12:23 PM

Only issue Rob, what does it say to all the real African countries that none of them make the cut, but some made up one does.i don't think that's an issue Disney would want to deal with

May 22, 2018, 2:08 PM

Absolutely not in DCA. Not only would it be less California than anything else they've put in that park, there just isn't enough space to add a decent Wakanda land without cannibalizing large sections of the park. It's better off saved for the third park in California, or added to DHS in Florida. It's a poor fit for DAK as it has little to do with animals or nature (Pandora works primarily on the second qualification), and while a Black Panther ride would work in Epcot a whole Wakanda area would be out of place.

May 22, 2018, 3:06 PM

Wait....is Disney considering building a third park in California?

May 22, 2018, 3:14 PM

How about demolishing Toon Town, and building Wakanda Land there? I feel like Toon Town has run its course. I think that would be plenty of room to build Wakanda, and a Black Panther ride. I would miss Roger Rabbit, unless, they moved the ride to another area of the park?

May 23, 2018, 3:34 AM

It would fit in whatever Marvel land they are secretly intending to make in California, and would work as a great screen ride as the tech they use hides their location in plain sight. Yes, I would be offended at placing it in the world showcase. Why not a real African country?

May 23, 2018, 11:45 AM

Yes, Disney is considering a third park in California. No, it will not be anytime soon (probably 2030s). There likely won't be any Marvel attractions added to Disneyland anytime soon as the IP is not well suited to the park, plus there are still rumors of a Runaway Railway clone coming to Toontown in a few years (though nothing I've heard recently). Disney also wants to encourage guests to stay for multiple days and visit both parks, so keeping their two biggest franchises in separate gates is likely the way it will stay.

May 23, 2018, 1:34 PM

Disneyland and California Adventure is just not big enough. To add anything, something must go. Walt had the right idea to build a Disney World that was huge. It gave him the opportunity to build additional parks, hotels, etc. Maybe it's time to start thinking about a new location.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive