Would you like to see classic retired universal attractions brought back at a fourth gate?

September 9, 2018, 1:52 PM

I know we are far from seeing a fourth universal orlando park from opening but was just thinking of some of the possibilities that could come to the new park as new IP' s. Classic old retired attractions aren't likely but I was just curious their can be other stories that can be told about Back To the Future, Earthquake, and Jaws especially about the USS Indianapolis which Quint referenced about. I know fans want new IP's brought in and I hope they do. But what if new classic retired attractions can be brought in with newer technology even bring back terminator,ghostbusters and I feel a need of a newer Kong attraction based on the 2017 Warner Bros film. Of course their will be a Godzilla vs Kong movie coming out in 2020. Just saying is their a place in a fourth gate for another land or Two because I understand their will only be 4 lands. I am hoping 1-2 more lands will be added including a classic monsters section dedicated to frankenstein, Dracula, and The Wolf Man.

Replies (8)

September 9, 2018, 3:24 PM

With the amount of money Universal spends on each individual attraction these days, I doubt they'd re-do an attraction just to satisfy old USF fans and 80s kids. While Ghostbusters, Terminator, and B2tF aren't completely dead franchises, they're having a hard time even re-establishing as film franchises let alone as modern day multimedia mega franchises which is what will make up most of the new park. Jaws is in a similar situation but the simple monster animal storyline is more timeless so I can at least picture it being considered. While a Jaws re-make would require a big footprint, it might not cost much to build. Kong at Islands of Adventure is based on the new movie.

September 9, 2018, 4:27 PM

I understand but I don't know it would just be kind of cool to see the older movie franchises be ressurected into new attractions but with a different story line.

September 10, 2018, 5:44 AM

The House of Horrors in Hollywood was some of the most fun I have ever had in a theme park anywhere, but I doubt they would commit the personnel the run it the way it would have to be run.

September 10, 2018, 10:32 AM

Yes absolutely. It's odd that "Back to the Future" is as popular as ever. I haven't given much though to the movie trilogy, but many people still love it. "Jaws" definitely needs to be a dark ride with a story instead of mere scares. Perhaps combine Jaws with Sharkado, which featured Universal in one of it's movies. Universal's track record with doing the traditional dark rides with practical effects is spotty. They follow the movie's narrative too closely that makes the ride outdated too quickly. Movies give up great feelings, but translating that into a 5 minute ride just doesn't work if the movie's storyline is followed. Keep working on it.

September 10, 2018, 2:30 PM

I don't think there would be enough interest in revived versions of old attractions to justify the expense. It's one thing to keep an existing attraction running, but when a brand new attraction is built it needs to generate enough additional visitors to compensate for the cost of the addition, and while I'm sure hardcore fans would like to see Back to the Future or Jaws make a return, I don't know that such an attraction would bring in the crowds even if it was completely modernized. All IP has a shelf life, and even though something may remain popular it generally needs to be fresh in order to work in a theme park.

Edited: September 11, 2018, 11:28 AM

I think Jaws has the greatest chance for a revisit if they were to ever do one. People still line up to take their pic with the prop in Universal now. The current hot movie The Meg is basically a Jaws wannabe. Jaws is an iconic movie. It’s a movie that people know even if they haven’t seen it. And like Pandora, I don’t think a popular in demand IP.is necessary to draw in crowds. A great attraction will do that regardless. Looking at the vids of Shanghai Pirates, the tech is out there to make a great Jaws attraction that is intense, amazing and great story telling. Imagine an indoor Jaws attraction set at dusk or night time that used real water, screens, mapping tech, fire and AAs where your boat gets rocked around, pushed side to side and backwards through the course of it. Universal has the opportunity to capitalize on an universally known (pun intended) IP without risking a costly remake or reimagined movie. And people will buy Jaws merchandise too. The old area where Jaws was in UO doesn’t work now. Recreate Amity in the new park with The Jaws ride, restaurant, boardwalk area, shops, seafood stands, shark photo op and a lagoon. Maybe a minor attraction or 2 like a boat ride and carousel. There’s no way this is a losing bet for them if they are willing to commit to a quality immersive attraction.

September 12, 2018, 11:48 PM

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I agree with many other commenters that older Universal movies by themselves probably do not have the popularity to warrant creating a new attraction for each movie. However, what about something akin to the great movie ride that used to be at Disney Hollywood Studios? Previous rides like Jaws, Terminator, and Back to the Future can each have a scene as well as other classic Universal films, hopefully with a clever mix of practical effects and projectors like in the HP rides.

Edited: September 13, 2018, 11:18 PM

Huge waste of time and money, those attractions are gone for a reason. Do you think people are going to spend an extra day at Universal for "inferiorland" or are they going to go to Disney doing Star Wars, Avatar, Guardians, and Tron?

The park has to appeal to the GP to be successful not just hardcore fans.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive