The Interactive, Trackless Roller Coaster

Edited: October 6, 2019, 8:27 PM

As I noted in my previous post, I have thought of a new (read: probably impossible) ride system. This concept is 'the trackless roller coaster', an innovative new way to merge the magic of trackless dark rides and thrills through guest interaction. Let me explain how it works...

You board a trackless vehicle (let's say there are four six-person vehicles each ride). They enter a showroom, where they gather around a central set piece. They then dance around this ballroom, and enter individual rooms. Your vehicle attaches to a track and/or motion base, which allows you to experience the ride segment. You then return to a redecorated ballroom, and then experience another segment. This goes on until the grand finale, in which you all board the same track and enter a roller coaster-like portion. Your vehicle slides off, and you exit the ride.

Another option is to mix dark ride portions with thrills where the guests onboard decide which track to connect to (which changes based on story and thrill elements).

This could be used as a new form of storytelling, where theming is rich and the story is thin, while managing to be deep (there is a large plot, but the ride is focused on the experience).

Comment suggestions of how to expand upon or utilize this concept!

Replies (3)

October 7, 2019, 11:13 AM

Hmmm... While this does sound like a fantastic idea, that wouldn't exactly be a "trackless roller coaster," but rather a combination of ride systems not unlike what RotR promises (minus the roller coaster track piece). That being said, this seems entirely possible, but quite cost-prohibitive.

October 7, 2019, 6:21 PM

I understand your points. However, I think part of the beauty of Pooh’s Hunny Hunt and Mystic Manor come from the interaction between vehicles. The greatness of RSR is how it mixes an immersive environment with family friendly thrills. A mix of those two has the possibility to become one of the most astounding rides in modern theme park history. An addition of interactivity which allows you to connect to different tracks could add a level of excitement that has never been replicated in a themed experience. To respond to your final comment, it would certainly not be budget friendly - not that Disney would most likely care.

October 8, 2019, 10:03 AM

Clayton makes a valid point. What is proposed here is essentially a melding of existing technologies, not necessarily a stand-alone concept, and very similar to what RotR is rumored to be (though replacing the drop ride segment with a roller coaster portion).

The reality is, we already have pieces and applications of what is proposed here, but as RotR is proving, it's much easier said than done. Just blocking out an attraction like this could be incredibly difficult, and would likely lead to the marginalization of the dark ride part of the attraction or the roller coaster portion. Revenge of the Mummy and Escape from Gringott's currently offer the closest to this concept, but to get to the level of interactivity suggested here would be a monumental, and likely infeasible level of effort and coordination.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive