Avengers Campus Opening Date

February 20, 2020, 10:21 AM

I’m going to be at Disneyland the last two of August. I’m hoping Avengers Campus will be open by then. It should be, since it’s supposed to open summer 2020. Why hasn’t Disney announced an exact opening date yet? I know they said summer 2020, but that is kind of broad. When will Disney announce the date, and what date do you think it will be?

Replies (33)

February 20, 2020, 10:46 AM

Given the pattern for Galaxy's Edge and other recent additions to Disney parks around the world, we're probably at least a month or two away from a formal announcement revealing a specific opening date (if not a bit longer). The May 31st opening of Disneyland's Galaxy's Edge was not announced until March 9, 2019 (a little less than 3 months ahead of the debut though complicated by the delays of RotR). MMRR's March 4th opening was officially announced on December 3, 2019, 3 months ahead of the debut.

Since the anticipation for Avengers CAMPUS is not nearly as high as those 2 projects, and the tight construction timeline (there was still a ton of exposed steel visible when I was there last August), I would expect an announcement no sooner than mid-April for an opening sometime in July. My guess is that they'll try to aim to have it open prior to July 4th (just as they did for Galaxy's Edge, which removed the reservation requirements just prior to the holiday last year after a month of a controlled "soft opening"), but I wouldn't be surprised to see it lag into late July/early August. Seeing that Disney typically puts official dates on attraction and land openings 2-3 months in advance, that would put an announcement sometime in the mid-April to early-May timeframe.

There just isn't a lot of buzz about this project right now, so I think Disney is fine in letting it sit on the back burner until they have a clear idea when it will be ready for guests. They're still working on structural facades (i.e. the layer BELOW critical theming elements), and the central crane is still on site based on the most recent construction update from observers. It's difficult to tell if they're on the pre-planned target, but it's hard to see the land opening any sooner than mid-June (just 4 months from now) based on what it looks like right now.

February 20, 2020, 10:52 AM

Thank you Russell Meyer! So would you say late August (when I’ll be there) is a safe bet to see Avengers Campus?

February 20, 2020, 11:13 AM

I usually like to give a new land or attraction a few months to work out the operational kinks or allow for potential delays before visiting (unless I'm going for a media preview), but if you have to visit before Labor Day, late August is probably the safest bet.

February 20, 2020, 11:27 AM

Thanks Russell. I’m a teacher in NYC. We come out to Disneyland, and LA every couple of years. We always enjoy Disneyland, and always stay at one of the Disneyland hotels. I’ve enjoyed all three of them. But yeah, it’s the best time for us to visit, with school starting after Labor Day for the kids, and myself. We like going the end of August, because it’s usually not as busy as other times we’ve visited. The kids and I are big Marvel fans. We’re looking forward to seeing Avengers Campus.

Edited: February 20, 2020, 1:30 PM

Honestly, I would temper your enthusiasm if you're making a trip as Marvel fans. Avengers CAMPUS appears to be very limited in scope with just a single new attraction that's based on an already existing ride system (Ninjago). This is really more of a unification effort from Disney by allowing them to move and consolidate the Marvel meet and greets and giving Guardians of the Galaxy's Mission Breakout adequate context/setting. GotG:MB is still going to be the e-ticket attraction of this area (until the Wakanda ride is finished), so if you've already ridden that, the WEB attraction is not likely to top it.

I'm more of a Star Wars guy, but I think even non-Star Wars fans would be more exited to see Galaxy's Edge (assuming you haven't been since it opened last summer) along with Rise of the Resistance, which just opened last month.

Edited: February 20, 2020, 1:13 PM

I wish the Wakanda ride would be complete this summer too. It looks like it’s going to be great. I have been on Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout! It’s already become a favorite of mine. I’ve never been on Ninjago, so the Spider-Man ride will be new to us. My family and I are also excited for Galaxy’s Edge. We’re looking forward to going on Rise of the Resistance. Assuming we can actually get on it, lol.

Edited: February 20, 2020, 4:04 PM

The casting notice for stunt performers, which was released this week, closes on March 4th.

I think by late August, RotR at Galaxy's Edge will most likely won't require boarding groups. That's 8 months after it opened. MFSR single riders line is great. I rode it twice within 15 m in utes a couple of weeks ago.

In terms of Avengers Campus, I'm excited. I realized this isn't going to be a fully fleshed out land....it's repurposed, but I'm always down for any new attractions, so looking forward to Spidey this summer.

February 20, 2020, 3:19 PM

Jay R, I agree. By the time I go (end of August), ROTR probably won’t require boarding passes anymore. By then, it’ll probably have fast passes. Like just the Millennium Falcon is supposed to be added to fast pass.

I know Avengers Campus won’t be fully completed when I go, but it’ll still be cool to check it out. I’ve always liked Spider-Man, so it’ll be cool to see the new ride.

February 20, 2020, 4:28 PM

MFSR is on the FP+ system at WDW, but is not on FP/MaxPass at Disneyland. There's been no indication of the Falcon at Disneyland going onto FP, though the touch points are present at the queue entrance.

I think it's incredible optimistic to think that RotR will no longer be using the Boarding Groups system, even 6 months from now. Boarding Groups are filling within seconds, and the attraction is still experiencing significant, unpredictable downtown on both coasts. Either demand needs to drop precipitously or Disney needs to crank up the reliability and throughput before they suspend the Boarding Groups.

Edited: February 20, 2020, 5:09 PM

Last week it was announced that Smugglers Run will be added to FP at Disneyland. No date was announced but it was a week and a half that FP was announced then added to Autopia and monsters, so I expect FP to come to MFSR in at latest two weeks.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2020/02/millennium-falcon-smugglers-run-soon-to-be-offered-through-disney-fastpass-and-disney-maxpass-at-disneyland-resort/

February 20, 2020, 5:27 PM

Postcott, I read that too, in regards to MSFR being added to fast pass list. I know Rise of the Resistance is extremely popular. But that boarding group process can’t continue forever. If people are spending thousands of dollars to go to Disney, and can’t get on the ride, they are going to really start complaining. I get its very popular, on both coasts, but once people are able to get on it, it will start to ease up. Most rides are packed when they open up. I think eventually ROTR will be added as a fast pass. I know the ride is also breaking down, but they will work on the kinks, and the lines will improve.

Edited: February 20, 2020, 11:54 PM

Most estimates I've heard for Avengers Campus are saying late June or early July, so I think by visiting at the end of August you should be fine. I don't expect an official opening date to be announced until after spring break to prevent soft attendance during what is typically a peak time for the resort, but I'd be surprised if we don't know by the end of April when it is opening.

Regarding ROTR boarding groups, they will be in place through at least spring break. What happens after that is TBD based on how the ride is doing. At the moment, they are generally getting 12,000 to 13,000 riders through PER DAY. By comparison, RSR (the resort's lowest capacity E-Ticket) does approximately 1,500 PER HOUR (aka about 50% more than RSR is at the moment). If they can reliably get ROTR to throughput levels of RSR, then it might be time to consider switching to a standard queue and Fastpass, but given that the ride's been open a month longer in Florida and isn't doing any better I'm not optimistic it will happen any time soon.

Edited: February 21, 2020, 8:20 AM

"I get its very popular, on both coasts, but once people are able to get on it, it will start to ease up."

And yet FoP, which has been open for nearly 3 years now, STILL has 2+ hour standby lines. This thought that guests will suddenly not want to ride RotR when they come to DL and DHS is absurd. AJ hit the nail on the head in that RotR still cannot even come close to the throughput needed to meet even modest demand, let alone for an attraction that is regarded as one of the best in the world. Until Disney can up the number of guests that can ride RotR in a given day, the Boarding Groups (which also helps to limit demand by only allowing guests a single ride per day) will continue.

It really comes down to simple math. Even on a "good" operational day, RotR appears to only be able to take on 12-15k people. If you assume that DHS takes in 30+k people in an average day, while DL sees on average 50+k people come through the turnstiles (based on the 2018 attendance report), RotR can barely accommodate a third of the guests in DHS and not even a quarter of the guests in DL.

February 21, 2020, 11:14 AM

Thank you for the information AJ! Russell, you’re right. Fight of Passage still has very long lines, as does Radiator Spring Racers. I didn’t mean that once they ride it, they’re not going to want to go on again. I just meant I hope the lines will ease up eventually. But you and AJ are both right. The boarding process will probably be around for a while. Since it’s so popular.

Let me ask you guys, when I go in late August, how does the boarding process work with ROTR? What time should I get there in the morning, and what’s the best way to try and get on it?

Edited: February 21, 2020, 12:42 PM

If the process is still working the way it is now, you're likely fine arriving at the park entrance (Esplanade) about 45-60 minutes before the official park opening time. If you're driving to the park, make sure you allow time to get into the garages (or as AJ recommended, park in the Toy Story surface lot). There will probably be a pretty large crowd of guests outside the gates, but it shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes to physically get through security and into the park.

Once inside the park, it comes down to your speed and familiarity with the Disneyland app (with a little bit reliant on the speed of your phone and broadband connection and a bit of luck). Both DHS and DL's procedures are essentially the same right now, and this is what I did in WDW on my iPhone 8 (beating my wife's iPhone XR 2 out of 3 days).

1. Make sure you have the most updated version of the app BEFORE you arrive (the last thing you want is to be waiting for an update to download right as Boarding Groups open).
2. Save your username and password (or use Touch/FaceID) inside your phone. There are dozens of discussion forum threads about guests complaining that the app randomly logged them out and they forget their password. Even if you have your password saved, you might want to keep it at the front of your thoughts on the all important day (or change it that morning so it's fresh in your mind).
3. Restart/Open the DL app @10 minutes prior to official opening time. This will give you time just in case you need to log back in or an unexpected update needs to be downloaded. However, don't open the app too soon, because it may go stale if it sits open and idle too long, preventing functions from refreshing as quickly as a newly opened/restarted app.
4. Push the "Find out More" button on the front page of the app in the RotR section. This takes you to the page where you will attain your Boarding Group.
5. The "Join Boarding Group" button on this page will be grey until the official park opening time. "Disney Time" seems to be pretty closely synchronized to the time displayed on phones (derived from local cell towers), but there have been reported instances where the Boarding Groups have opened a minute or 2 early or late. When this button turns RED, that indicates that Boarding Groups are open, and you need to zip through the confirmation process. If it's still grey, you need to "refresh" the page until it turns red.
6. There are 2 different ways to actively "refresh" this page. You can either go back to the front page of the app and then click on the "Find out More" button, or click on the "My Status" button next to the "Join Boarding Group" button. The "My Status" button will take you to another page where there's another "Join Boarding Group" button when Boarding Groups are open. If Boarding Groups are not yet open, you just back out of that page to the previous one and keep on toggling back and forth until you see a red Join Boarding Group button. Don't stop toggling until you see a red button. If you start hearing cheering seconds after the clock on your phone shows that Boarding Groups should be open, you might need to restart the app if the button doesn't turn red after a few toggles.
7. The next step is to select your party. Before you arrive at the park, you should link all of the guests that are traveling with you to your party. At WDW, this is done automatically with your hotel reservation. At DL and if you're not staying on-site at WDW, you need to link your admission tickets either through the website or through the app. This can be a bit time consuming, which is why it's important to do it BEFORE you arrive at the park. If you have traveled to DL and established a party on a previous visit, it should maintain those guests in your party - though if they're not traveling with you this time, it might be valuable to remove them so you don't have to scroll through too many names when selecting your party. When you're selecting the guests in your party, make sure to ONLY select those that are currently INSIDE the park (i.e. have scanned the admission associated with their name inside the app that morning). If you select someone that's not inside the park, or their admission did not register when they entered the park, the app will force you to remove them from your party before assigning you a Boarding Group.
8. If all of the guests in your party are with you and scanned in with a valid admission, you will then be assigned a Boarding Group on the next page of the app (if they're still available). The whole process from pushing the red "Join Boarding Group" button until you're assigned a Boarding Group literally takes seconds, assuming that you don't dawdle in selecting the guests in your party.

If Boarding Groups are available, you will be given a number, which represents your priority for the day. The lower the number, the sooner you will ride (and also the better chance of getting to ride that day). The number of Boarding Groups available each day is rarely the same, so is the number that demarcates standard Boarding Groups from "Backup Boarding Groups". While securing a standard Boarding Group does not guarantee that you will be able to ride RotR, Disney has been giving those guests "recovery" if the ride cannot accommodate them in the form of an "Anytime FP" and a return admission ticket for the park. Guests with Backup Boarding Groups receive no recovery if their Boarding Group is not called (think of this like flying standby on a plane).

You can keep track of what Boarding Group numbers have been called through the app on the RotR page (and displays in the park), but you will be notified through the app when it's your time to ride (make sure you have notifications turned on for the app). Once you're notified, you will be given a window to return the attraction (this seems to vary depending upon time of day and the attraction's performance). However, expect to have anywhere from 1-2 hours to return, but DON'T BE LATE - treat this like a FP that will expire if you don't use it within the designated window. When you return to the attraction, you will scan your ticket with a CM and directed into the queue.

Other tips...

1. If you're there with others, everyone should be trying to get Boarding Groups for your party through their cell phones. Don't rely on just one person. While the app won't allow you to book multiple Boarding Groups, you're improving your chances by using multiple phones.
2. Turn off Wifi, unless you have no broadband coverage in the park. There's nothing necessarily wrong with Disney's network, but it could get clogged when tens of thousands of people are all trying to hit it at the same time. Plenty of guests have been successful securing a Boarding Group through the Disney WiFi, but many others have reported that the network slows to a crawl at the most inopportune time.
3. Have a newer cell phone/tablet. This goes without saying, but newer devices are typically faster, and when success is measured in seconds, the difference between an iPhone X and an iPhone 6s could be the difference between getting Boarding Group 8 (they rarely start with BG1 - presumably because of recovery FPs from the day before and expected VIPs for the day) and not even getting a Backup Boarding Group.
4. Try the process from home a couple of times to familiarize yourself with the app. While the app won't actually let you secure a Boarding Group from home, you can still toggle through the menus to see how it works and develop some muscle memory.
5. Cross your fingers. It's still a game of chance, especially since APs and frequent visitors have lots of experience now securing Boarding Groups. Those folks are going to be faster than you because they've done it dozens of times, so you still might need a bit of luck to make sure you get a standard Boarding Group. However, even if you're a bit slower getting through the process, you should still be able to secure a Backup Boarding Group, which might not be a guaranteed ride, it's still a better than 50/50 chance to ride on most days.

Good luck, and may the Force be with you.

Edited: February 21, 2020, 2:06 PM

@ Russell, I'm thinking that by Memorial Day or so (even probably more like mid June)....that RoTR might start to utilize a standby line.

After last summers attendance drop (during that top travel period)....I'm thinking Disney might want to avoid that this year. I agree with AJ, boarding groups will still be used during Spring Break....but I'm thinking by summer time, there will be a standby line (hopefully). Now granted, that line could have FoP style wait times...

The attraction would've been open for 6 -7 months on both coast...yeah, I'm probably being too optimistic, but that's a signature attraction that posted on park maps, marketing, ads, etc......that boarding group can't last forever!

Also from what I've heard it's not running at it's top capacity at DL? Is this true?

Edited: February 21, 2020, 2:29 PM

That's certainly possible Jay, but I just don't think a normal standby line (with or without FP) will really work for an attraction that has demand so much higher than its capacity. It's definitely possible that a 4+ hour long standby line would help to suppress demand, but you're still talking about keeping guests hostage for that long in a line. I think in an ideal world, Disney would not want guests standing in any single line longer than 1 hour. Until Disney can start regularly cranking 20+k people through per day, Boarding Groups are the only fair way to operate the attractions (imagine how early people will show up to the gates if they opened a standby line).

As far as the "top capacity", I'm not sure what's going on in DL, but from what I could tell of my 3 times on the ride at DHS (in addition to 2 aborted attempts), it was being loaded through all four Interrogation Rooms with both vehicles being fully loaded (for a while, only 1 of the 2 vehicles was being loaded and only half of the interrogation rooms/boarding platforms were being used). However, I'm not sure what the allowable headways are on the individual vehicles, so what's unclear is whether they can decrease that spacing in order to increase throughput. Obviously, the biggest impact on capacity for both attractions is the frequent breakdowns and technical difficulties that cause complete shutdowns and queue evacuations. If the attraction could simply be restarted immediately after a glitch, instead of being completely shut down, evacuated, and then cycled empty, it would significantly reduce the amount of downtime. There seems to be at least 2 or 3 of these major disruptions to the attractions pretty much every single day of varying lengths (it broke down twice in one day we were in line, which amounted to what I estimated was well over 3 hours of total downtime).

February 21, 2020, 2:56 PM

Thank you for all the detailed information, Russell! I appreciate it! We’re staying at the Grand Californian again. We always stay at a Disney hotel. So hopefully staying there, we’ll have better luck getting on.

Edited: February 21, 2020, 4:31 PM

Here's the thing with ROTR...when it's running smoothly, throughput is 80-90% of the design capacity (theoretical is around 1,900 and they've been getting 1,600-1,700). The problem is that it's going down multiple times per day, and they have yet to develop a reset procedure that can be performed in under 45 minutes (with it more commonly taking over an hour). The main reason for boarding groups is not because the ride can't handle a queue, but more because they don't want to be dumping 2-3 hours worth of queue multiple times a day. The boarding groups are set up so that approximately a half-hour's worth of riders will be in the queue at any given time, which is a much more manageable amount if the ride goes down and they need to dump it. When the ride can operate without significant downtime, it should see capacity numbers on par with Indiana Jones Adventure, but until they're running it for a full day without hours of downtime, they'll probably keep the boarding groups in place. How long that will be is impossible to determine at this point in time.

Timbo, I think Russell covered the boarding group process as thoroughly as possible, but here's the tips I shared in my review of the ride:

1. Use Toy Story parking instead of Mickey and Friends, and be at the parking lot a minimum of one hour before opening. Note that the lots open 90 minutes before the posted opening time, so don't bother coming earlier than that or you'll have to wait around offsite.

2. The lines to get into the gate will be lengthy, but even if they're backed up to DCA you should be inside within 20 minutes. Once inside, find a spot with good cellular reception (don't rely on the park's Wi-Fi) and make sure everyone's tickets are linked in the app on everyone's device. Also, delete any tickets that may be stored but are not being used for boarding passes.

3. A few minutes before official opening, everyone in your party should open the app and go to the boarding group screen. You will not be able to join at this time, but you will be ready. Watch the clock on your phone.

4. As soon as the clock rolls over, hit "My Status," followed by "Join Boarding Group." If for some reason you cannot join, back up one screen and try again. Once you hit join, quickly confirm that everyone in your party is linked, then click through until you've got a group. EVERYONE should attempt to get one, but as soon as someone has confirmed the group for the party everyone else should exit out. It is possible for the party to be split over multiple groups if further attempts are made.

5. If you were successful, get excited (though be respectful in your celebration)! If you were unsuccessful, book it to Tomorrowland and try the paper machines near Buzz Lightyear. You may still be able to join a backup boarding group this way, as a small number of slots (reportedly 300-500) are reserved for those who cannot use the app for whatever reason.

There is no assigned return time, but a good rule of thumb is ten groups per hour. For example, if you get a boarding group in the 40s (like I did), your return time will likely be 4-5 hours after opening. Once called, you have two hours to scan in at the attraction, so there is no need to hang around and anticipate it.

One other thing to note is that at DHS, there are usually enough boarding groups that everyone in the park at opening will generally get at least a backup. This is not the case at Disneyland, where many days (especially weekends and holidays) see 20,000-25,000 guests present at opening competing for 10,000-15,000 spots. I strongly recommend trying every day of your trip (at least until you've ridden the ride), as it may take two or three attempts before you're able to secure a spot.

February 21, 2020, 5:28 PM

Thank you AJ for all the information as well! As far as Avengers Campus, how do you foresee the Spider-Man WEB attraction, in related to wait time? Do you think it will be the same as Rise of the Resistance? Will be the land be as crowded, as Galaxy Edge? Or, do you think people are waiting until the Wakanda attraction opens?

February 21, 2020, 11:05 PM

Timbo, given that nobody knows how the new Spider-Man attraction will operate, that is an impossible question to answer. My gut feeling is that once the opening rush dies down, Spider-Man will see similar queues to Toy Story Midway Mania, but it could wind up being way longer or way shorter. I also don't think Avengers Campus will be a huge draw for guests on its own, but I do feel a lot of people who are interested in Galaxy's Edge but didn't visit last summer due to the state of the land will be planning visits this summer, so I expect a healthy crowd. I don't think anyone is waiting for the Wakanda attraction...that is likely around four years out and 90% of Disney visitors probably aren't even aware Avengers Campus will be two phases.

February 22, 2020, 7:02 AM

AJ, I agree. Once the rush of Spider-Man calms down, it will see a queue similar to Toy Story, or even Guardians of the Galaxy. I do also agree that people who haven’t visited Galaxy’s Edge, will visit this summer. I didn’t realize the Wakanda attraction is 4 years away...I thought it was more like two. That’s true, a lot of people probably don’t realize that Avengers Campus will be two phases. But I do feel it will draw large crowds, since Marvel is so popular.

February 24, 2020, 7:32 AM

While Disney announced there would be a Wakanda attraction coming to DCA, it was clearly stated to be quite a ways off. Considering that Disney hasn't even gotten approval to build the attraction from the Anaheim City Counsel (reportedly the ride will be located in a backstage area, which will require City approval to expand the park boundaries and re-locate backstage support buildings) is a good indication that the attraction is at least 2 years away if not longer. From the concept drawings, descriptions, and rumors, it sounds like this might utilize a similar (or cloned) ride system to FoP, which is a pretty intricate and complicated platform that isn't something that can be built on a tight timeline on within existing park space (unless they gut Hollywood Land, which would likely take the Hyperion with it - and the uber popular Frozen show).

The announcement of a Wakanda ride was definitely more of a teaser. If the WEB attraction uses the same Triotch ride system as Ninjago (and Voyage to the Iron Reef), Disney is going to have to do some serious re-engineering for the platform to meet the needed capacity for a typical Disney attraction. That's where I would be a bit concerned with this new ride, and perhaps why Disney has been underselling it a bit (by Disney standards) to keep enthusiasm tempered.

February 24, 2020, 4:07 PM

It does sound like the Wakanda attraction is a few years away. From the concept drawings I saw, I agree, it may be similar to Flight of Passage. But I’m sure it will still be pretty cool, considering it will be an Avengers themed ride. The announcement of the ride was definitely a teaser. I wish the ride would open this summer as well. But I’m sure it will be worth the wait.

We’ll have to wait and see how the Spider-Man WEB attraction is. Like I said, I’ve never been on Ninjago, or Voyage to the Iron Reef. So even if it is similar to those rides, it will be a new experience for me. It may be new to others, who haven’t been on those rides either. Not many people I know have been to Legoland. Maybe Disney will make it totally different than what we’re speculating. Only time will tell.

February 24, 2020, 4:25 PM

There was originally going to be a different Avengers E-ticket attraction for Marvel Land that would open a year or two after the land, but that was scrapped for multiple reasons. The Wakanda attraction is a replacement for that, and the reason it is so far out is because development didn't start on it until sometime in the past year. Runaway Railway in 2022 will be the next attraction to open at the Disneyland Resort, with Wakanda coming sometime between that and the 70th anniversary in 2025.

February 24, 2020, 4:44 PM

AJ, what was the original Avengers E-ticket attraction going to be?

February 24, 2020, 10:53 PM

Timbo, I have no idea. Some were saying it was some sort of coaster/dark ride hybrid. Some said a trackless dark ride similar to Rise of the Resistance. Some said it was a brand new never before seen ride system so secret it hadn't been patented yet. All I know is it was reportedly going to be about as expensive as Rise of the Resistance yet deliver a theoretical capacity of around 1,000 riders per hour, so it got completely sent back to square one. I also think that's part of why we're getting the attractions we are for Avengers Campus...by the time the Wakanda attraction opens, Endgame will be five years in the past and most of the Avengers won't be active parts of the MCU anymore. Instead, Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, and the Guardians of the Galaxy will likely be the core characters, and those are the ones getting attractions.

February 25, 2020, 5:25 PM

@ AJ, yeah that's true. The one interesting thing is that I'm wondering how much of the MCU will color Avengers Campus....and for how long. Mission Breakdown was a bit of a deciding factor (and it turned out to be a huge hit)

At this point it "seems" like Avengers C. will be heavily MCU, but I've always wondered if this was the BEST idea. As you alluded to, Endgame will be years past by the time the main centerpiece attraction opened.

The main core characters in the Avengers will always be popular, even apart from their silver screen counterparts, so I've wondered if it would be wiser to go Marvel "general" vs heavily MCU influenced.

Spider-Man, Hulk, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, etc retain their comic book inspired popularity with or without movies. They are pop culture characters (and even someone like Black Panther has crossed the line....albeit with help form the blockbuster film.) But they are timeless in terms of pop culture, whereas the MCU, while ongoing, does have some "time period" constraints.

I have no doubt Disney will make it work, just wondering if they've limited their options by JUST focusing on MCU, rather than non specific Marvel.

February 25, 2020, 8:43 PM

I do feel Avengers Campus will be a success. Jay R., I agree, the main characters in the Avengers will always be popular. Iron Man, Hulk, Spider-Man, Thor, and Captain America have always been popular. They’ve been popular even before the Avenger movies came out.

I know Avengers Campus isn’t receiving the same hype as Galaxy’s Edge did. Maybe not right away, but it will become a success. Marvel is extremely popular worldwide. The movies are the highest grossing films of all time. I have no doubt that Avengers Campus will be popular, and successful.

February 26, 2020, 12:55 PM

@timbo, it will certainly be a success, I just wonder if they'll eventually find a balance between the MCU elements & mainstream, more generic Marvel. Right now, it appears like it's primarily going to be MCU based, which is perfectly fine.

Galaxy's Edge is on a completely different level than Avengers Campus, which is basically A Bugs Land being rethemed & revamped. It was NEVER on the same tier as Galaxy's Edge (or even close to it.) The Wakanda attraction will be the centerpiece & probably an amazing attraction, but GE & AC are on two different scales.

Ultimately, by putting a singular location for Marvel in the parks, Avengers Campus is ALREADY a success. The IP will sell itself, my thoughts were just going around the thought of "which" Marvel versions are best for attractions. I know WHY Disney has selected the MCU versions, just thinking general Marvel could give a bit more longevity. (Like IOA Amazing Adventures of Spider-man or the Hulk coaster)

February 26, 2020, 4:17 PM

Jay R., I agree with you 100%. Galaxy’s Edge is on a different level than Avengers Campus. They built the land from scratch. Where Avengers Campus is taking over Bugs Land. I also agree with you that the Wakanda attraction is probably going to be amazing. I just have one question, what’s the difference between MCU, and general Marvel? Also, what themed attraction would you like to see in Avengers Campus?

Edited: February 26, 2020, 5:47 PM

Timbo, the difference between the MCU & general Marvel is simply the source material.

The MCU stands for "Marvel CINEMATIC Universe", which incorporates the timelines, events & storylines in every Marvel film starting with 2008's Iron Man. For example, Guardians of the Galaxy; Mission Breakout specifically utilizes the actors from the film series. The MCU is based only on the Marvel films. So any costumes & references are specifically from the film franchise.

General Marvel is simply based on the characters IP (think the comic books, any animated series, or just general knowledge of the character) For example the Spider-Man attraction in Island of Adventures would be considered general Marvel. It isn't based on any specific movie, or tv series....it's an original storyline using the world of Spider-Man & his rogues gallery of villains. All costumes are based on the classic character designs, etc. It basically just classic version of Marvel characters.

Personally, because of space constraints, I'd like an Avengers dark ride. It's the only way to incorporate the largest number of characters.

February 26, 2020, 5:56 PM

Jay R.,I see...I understand now. I would like an Avengers dark ride as well. It would be great if they made a track less dark ride, dedicated to the Avengers.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive