Map of USA Theme Parks

Edited: April 1, 2020, 1:29 PM

Robert,

Whilst keeping myself amused, and planning a fantasy USA road trip visiting as many theme parks as I could (what else do I have LOL ... ) I came across this map you created back in 2007 !!

What's the chance you can update it? Add Canada's Wonderland, Knoebels, Lake Compounce, Silver Dollar and a few more smaller parks like those.

We theme park addicts don't have much else going for us, so to keep my sanity !?!? I'll keep planning my fantasy trip.

Anyone else have any ideas for the addition of parks ?

Sorry to put you on the spot Robert, but I know you are looking for things to do as well ... :)

Thanks, and stay safe everyone

Replies (9)

April 1, 2020, 1:29 PM

I really should do this.... Probably do the full international version, too.

April 1, 2020, 2:15 PM

Thanks Robert :)

April 9, 2020, 11:58 AM

Thanks mako - I am enjoying this.. Really helps when looking to see exactly where places Like Carowinds is located...

Yes I can do this on my own but this makes it easier to have all in one place.

April 9, 2020, 10:07 PM

This is a little tangential to the thread, but I figured it might be of interest.

This is my personal map to keep track of which parks I still need to visit in the US. Everything is color coded based on priority, with new parks as primary colors and revisit parks in secondary colors. It goes something like this:

-Red and green represent high priority parks. These are generally the ones I use to anchor trip routes, picking two or more and building a route between them.
-Blue and orange represent medium priority parks. I will detour on a trip to visit these parks, but would not travel specifically for them.
-Yellow and Purple represent low priority parks. These are parks I would like to visit or return to someday, but I am not actively planning a trip to them.
-Anything not on the map is a park I've either visited and have no interest in revisiting (at least at the moment) or that is too small for me to consider worthy of a visit (generally, a park needs a coaster at least wild mouse sized or a particularly unique attraction for me to consider it visit worthy).

There are definitely many parks on here that are likely foreign to most TPI readers, as well as a few fairly well known omissions (outside Southern California...those are omitted because I live there). Just remember that if a park is not listed it doesn't mean I dislike it...many decent sized ones are parks I really like but have visited in the last year or two and don't feel a need to return yet.

April 10, 2020, 7:53 AM

This is great ..... thanks AJ.

April 10, 2020, 9:30 AM

AJ is the enthusiast we all aspire to be!

Edited: April 13, 2020, 11:05 AM

Thanks Mako. Appreciate you bringing up this topic. Makes me think about all the parks I still want to visit (or re-visit) on future road trips.

AJ... Once again you provide "extra" content and insight that only an enthusiast like you can create. The thing I really like about your map is the inclusion of so many regional and local parks that I had no prior knowledge of. i.e. "Cliffs Amusement park" in New Mexico. During some of my "downtime" in the next few weeks, I will enjoy exploring some of these destinations online.

April 15, 2020, 12:11 AM

Glad you all liked the map! For those looking to do research, a majority of those marked in green, orange, or purple have reports from me on this site that might be worth checking out if you'd like to get a sense of the parks. And while I've semi-retired from epic comprehensive trip reports, I still plan to post some sort of write-up from any of the red or blue parks I visit in the future should it contain enough noteworthy attractions to be worth a stop to non-credit counters.

April 18, 2020, 11:56 AM

Along with this thread, and Robert's park vs park, I'm learning about theme parks I never even knew existed. Holiday World being a prime example, and now I know where it is, as it's shown on Robert's map .... :) ... but not on AJ's ??

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive