What is your favorite now-unavailable theme park food?

February 9, 2023, 11:34 AM

I was thinking about theme park foods from my childhood - things that you could get then but you can't get now. Now don't laught, but the thing that I really loved as a kid was the juice that came in plastic, fruit-shaped containers with a straw sticking out. There was a lemon, grapes, apple, orange, etc. It was a little like the thing in Girl Scouts, where we would stick a candy stick in an orange and try to drink out of it. But this was better because you could actually get the juice out of it and then keep it FOREVER.

In my memory (which might be enhancing things...), you could get lemonade in the lemon, grape juice in the grape, apple juice in the apple....Honestly, though, they probably just had some kind of generic punch in all of them. But I always begged for that fruit and seldom got it - the adults just didn't understand how AMAZING that concept was!

It's been a long time since I've seen the fruit-juice - though I'm told that Cedar Point brought it back temporarily for an anniversary year.

What is your favorite theme park food item that is no longer available?

Replies (10)

February 13, 2023, 3:22 PM

I still miss the original Big Thunder Barbecue at Disneyland, which had a grilled trout that almost certainly tastes better in my memory than it ever did in reality.

Honorable mention to the Egg Roll Dog at the old Adventureland Egg Roll wagon at Walt Disney World.

February 13, 2023, 4:04 PM

Yes on the Big Thunder BBQ at Disneyland. It was the biggest loss with Galaxy Edge!

Mine? The Peanut Crusted Chicken at Tusker House at Animal Kingdom. Before it was a character breakfast/lunch, it was a pretty neat quick service. I freaking loved that chicken which was a godsend at an Animal Kingdom park pre Tiffins and Yak and Yeti.

Edited: February 14, 2023, 1:20 PM

There used to be a small concession stand in MK near the Tea Cups that sold frozen Minute Maid lemonade and fresh baked chocolate chips cookies. Nothing crazy other than the cookies were the most simple yet decadent perfectly outside crunch inside gooey morsels of heavenly baking you’ve ever put in your mouth. And consistent every time.

To that point I still miss the cookie ice cream sandwiches you could get at the Sleepy Hollow Inn. The frozen churro sandwiches, while delicious in concept, are sorely lacking in their execution.

February 14, 2023, 6:14 PM

Anyone who visited Six Flags over Georgia or Texas (and perhaps Mid-America, I'm unsure) in the first few decades of their operation will no doubt fondly remember a signature frozen treat called either Cherry-Berries at SFOG or Pink Things at SFOT. The flavor was sherbet blend of cherry, strawberry and raspberry frozen on a plastic stick. When you finished eating the sherbet there was a hidden character on the stick.

At the Magic Kingdom at WDW I really loved a salad that was served at the Columbia House restaurant. It included shredded chicken, pineapple, pecans and a zippy derision on cold crisp greens. It was perfect on a hot summer day.

Over at Epcot, I really miss the Shogun Combo at the quick service location in Japan. It was a beef and onion stew on rice with teriyaki chicken thighs served with a side salad. I just loved it and would sometimes go out to the park just to have that for lunch.

February 14, 2023, 8:59 PM

Let's pour one out for the Cinnamon Berries at NBA City Orlando and the Firecracker Duck Wings at Carthay Circle.

As far as a whole restaurant goes, Three Broomsticks is nice, but I still mourn for the demise of Enchanted Oak Tavern at IOA.

February 14, 2023, 9:04 PM

Oh, why did you have to remind me that the Duck Wings are gone at DCA? Ugh.

February 15, 2023, 10:51 AM

Okay I’m bummed I missed the peanut-crusted chicken, that sounds amazing.

February 17, 2023, 12:19 PM

I didn't think I had an entry for this, but now I'm thinking about the duck wings at Carthay Circle. I must have Eternal Sunshine'd them for this exact reason.

February 22, 2023, 6:12 AM

Sounds simple, but I remember visiting EPCOT as a kid and and having chocolate milk in a small carton. Not sure they do those anymore?

Also, when Pizza Rizzo was Pizza Planet in (MGM Studios)the quality of the food was much better.

February 22, 2023, 10:00 AM

Legoland California used to have Pancake Balls maybe around 2006-ish? Those were amazing.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive