Hershey Park

February 15, 2023, 1:12 PM

I am thinking about a trip to Hershey Park. I have never been there and I was wondering if anyone has been there, Is it worth a visit. How many days, and size of the park.

Yes I can see they have many coasters online and I will assume this is only a or two park. And what else if anything is in that area.

I will thank you in advance for any info…

Replies (7)

February 15, 2023, 1:33 PM

If this is your first visit to Hersheypark, I would recommend 2-3 days, especially if you want to spend any time doing the Hershey corporate attractions (Chocolate World, trolley tours of the town, and others).

Since the park isn't close to any major cities/airports (I don't categorize PA's capital of Harrisburg as "major"), I assume you will have a car. Dorney Park, which is part of Cedar Fair, is @90-minute drive from Hershey (east), and Sesame Place is about 20-30 minutes beyond Dorney (closer to Philly). Knoebel's is also less than 90 minutes from Hershey (due north).

Beyond the Hershey corporate stuff, there are plenty of historical sites around Hersheypark, most highlighting the Civil War (Gettysburg) and Revolutionary War (Valley Forge). There's also a large Amish/Mennonite community near Harrisburg with tons of craftsman and antiquing.

FWIW, it looks like the re-tracking for Wildcat's Revenge is almost completed, so the coaster might be ready during the first couple of months of the spring operating season (weather has been unusually mild this winter in the Mid-Atlantic).

February 15, 2023, 3:54 PM

If you're a coaster fan, Hersheypark is definitely worth a visit. While not quite on the level of the premier Cedar Fair or Six Flags parks, Hersheypark still has one of the stronger lineups of thrill rides in the country and contains some very unique offerings. If you're less of a thrill seeker, it might not be as worthwhile, but is still something to check out as part of a visit to the area.

I'd recommend two days for a first visit to the park, especially if you want to check everything out. The ride park is a little smaller than most major regional parks, but it has a lot crammed into it and has a very linear and hilly layout. In addition to the ride park, they've also got a waterpark (small but fun), a zoo (haven't actually visited, but I hear it's good), and Chocolate World (which contains a pretty good dark ride and sells every product Hershey manufactures). All of them are covered by one ticket, so you don't need to worry about buying separate tickets for each.

Beyond the park, there's lots of historical sites in eastern Pennsylvania to go check out. If you haven't been to Philadelphia, I definitely recommend spending a couple days there as part of your trip (that would also likely be your most convenient flight destination if air travel is required...Harrisburg is pretty small). If you want additional parks to explore, I highly recommend Knoebels, and Dorney Park is worth stopping by if you've got a Cedar Fair pass.

February 15, 2023, 4:08 PM

We loved the Hershey factory tour so make sure you make time for that :)

February 16, 2023, 7:05 AM

Thanks for the Great responses – I did Miss this forum.
(It's about time Robert)...

We live in the North East - Southern Massachusetts area -So we will drive. Google maps says its about 6 hours. 95 to Tappan Z bridge - 287.

Edited: February 17, 2023, 6:04 AM

I’ve always enjoyed Hershey Trips, but having younger kids as part of the party, was part of the equation. They have some of the coolest kids rides I’ve ever seen, like a kid sized scrambler. But if you don’t have young kids with you, it won’t mean all that much.

The roller coaster lineup includes several good and a couple “meh”. Wildcat’s Revenge will definitely help, I haven’t been on Candymonium yet, but it looks like the current highlight, being a kinda similar ride to Mako at Sea World. Storm Runner (I think that’s what it is called) is one of my favorites, it’s an Intamin launched coaster.

The waterpark is within the Theme Park, and included with admission. Honestly I don’t remember too much about it, which probably means it neither great nor bad, but OK.

Outside of the Theme Park:

The dark ride inside in Hershey Chocolate World is free, and pretty cool for all ages.

There are other attractions inside Hershey Chocolate World you can pay for (individually or as a bundle). Including a Trolley Tour that takes you around the City, a make your own candy bar attraction and a chocolate tasting attraction.

The trolley tour is OK, but again, better if you have younger kids with you. Either way, I don’t think you would find it a regrettable purchase.

The make your own candy bar is expensive (last time I was there roughly $30/person - for 1 candy bar and about a 45 minute event). Super cool for younger kids, probably not as much for older kids and Adults.

The 4D Movie definitely skip if you don’t have younger kids with you. It’s a cartoon based on candy bar characters and a villain you’ve never seen or heard of before.

The chocolate tasting lab, I did once, and that was enough for me. It’s OK but pretty expensive when you consider how little you actually get. If you spent that much in the store for the candy you want, you’d get a lot better& of a value.

In the cafe, try the chocolate chip cookies. Something about them (and it’s not the chocolate chips) makes them some of the best I’ve ever had.

The zoo actually is not good at all, one of the worst I’ve ever been to in fact. One of the animals on exhibit was a Turkey. It would be free if you have Hersheypark tickets and are in the park that day, but I think you’ll quickly see it’s not worth your time once you step inside.

Overall, I think you could get a 2.5 to 3 day event out of it. Some others mentioned some other good attractions nearby, and here’s one more: The Turkey Hill Experience.

February 18, 2023, 12:05 AM

It is one of the premier amusement parks in the country with many unique coasters and definitely worth a visit.

Edited: February 28, 2023, 12:04 PM

I know I'm late to the party, but Hersheypark is my home park and I cannot recommend it enough for all the reasons everyone already mentioned. It's a very unique and special place that has its own identity and feel. Candy-themed amusements...what's NOT to love!?

And "Chocolate World" was the first dark ride I ever experienced back in the 70s. Designed by Arrow Development in 1973, it was an early look at an Omnimover that wasn't Disney. And the ride system is pretty much unchanged to this very day. Thought the scenes, props and story have been updated several times over the years.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive