The Hypocrisy of Disney

April 26, 2023, 4:51 PM

Those who know me on here have heard my views and know my stance for a while: The Hypocrisy of Disney.

They look retrospectively at the slave trade and alter Pirates, they look retrospectively at the Song of the South and change Splash Mountain, they pander to the handful of the PC brigade and alter the fireworks introduction by eliminating "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls...." yet they conveniently, for the sake of the dollar, ignore promoting China with Shanghai Disney and the China Pavilion at EPCOT. China, with the worst human rights record on the planet seems to be irrelevant and anonymous to the Disney hierarchy.

So Disney, what's more important? Pandering to the very few who may get offended or making a stand against China where you may influence saving lives? Of course we all know, it is the power of the $ which really speaks to Disney. They are utterly hypocritical and a disgrace.

Replies (13)

April 26, 2023, 4:54 PM

Its not hypocritical if all of it is about making money, which it is.

Edited: April 26, 2023, 5:44 PM

@garybg - of cause it is. They are choosing which causes to ban yet ignoring the one which can make the biggest difference to people.

If it is purely based on $ ahead of morals and integrity you are either a loan shark or a prostitute. Take your pick.

Edited: April 27, 2023, 8:38 AM

The guy who could have been president but instead decided to tank his whole career because of an obsession with transvestites and Mickey Mouse.

I will give credit to Desantis he seems to be the only politician that has been able to unite the country, both Democrats and Republicans are laughing at him.

April 27, 2023, 1:07 PM

Changing a culture takes time. You want China to open up and respect human rights and free speech, great. But it’s not going to happen tomorrow, or next week, or next year.

Changes like that need years and years of soft power. Years and years of people being introduced to ideas slowly, until you’ve built a new baseline.

Frankly the “but China” stuff stinks of the “all the other kids are doing it” excuse.

Edited: May 3, 2023, 9:46 PM

Do you really think you’re telling us something we don’t already know?

Edited: May 3, 2023, 4:27 AM

I take your point but perhaps there are subtle differences in Disney's approach to the China Pavilion in comparison to the re-theming of some attractions.
I can only speculate that it's because the China Pavilion is part of the World Showcase which essentially sets out to provide a mini world tour offering a flavour of those Countries to those who may not ever get to visit the actual places.
They shouldn't bring politics into that educational travelogue because it raises questions of where do you draw the line. Would you remove Germany, Mexico or Italy for example ? No. Of course not.
I can't argue that China doesn't have it's issues but some might say that so do some others.
I think Disney are probably correct in not changing or removing China from World Showcase else we start a domino effect leaving the area bereft of attractions.
The re-theming of other attractions for political reasons is more disappointing , particularly when they're already so popular as they are, as is the case with Splash Mountain. They have the space to develop into a new area that would accommodate new rides and attractions ( I believe that's the plan anyway ) so they could easily have created new ones with the requisite theming without the need to abandon old favourites,

May 3, 2023, 3:32 PM

Rob P - fair points.

Edited: May 7, 2023, 7:41 AM

>>They shouldn't bring politics into that educational travelogue because it raises questions of where do you draw the line. Would you remove Germany, Mexico or Italy for example ?

Not only that, but politics is as they say, the art of surviving until the end of the week - It's very temporal. The China pavillion is what, about 40 years old now? Its outlasted how many political leaders on both ends? How many different phases in US-Sino relations? The history, culture, and geography of both nations will almost certainly outlast the current political situation, and current political leaders.

June 14, 2023, 8:47 AM

Its money.....

Also, if we are going to do some mud slinging based on countries at Epcot, nobody is safe.

I'm looking at you UK.....See you on July 4th! LOL

June 14, 2023, 10:55 AM

@Anthony Murphy - Ya the "world showcase" would be a nice walk around a big lake if we took out China because of politics. UK goes, France goes, the USA would need to go too (slavery) all of them. Germany, Japan and Italy for obvious reasons. You could even make a point to remove my home country of Canada due to the way we treated indigenous people. That leaves Morocco, Norway, and Mexico. History is FUN!

June 14, 2023, 12:45 PM

@ Francis, take out Mexico for the Texan war of independence, Norway's Vikings have blood on their hands, and I don't know enough about Morocco to find a reason there...

June 14, 2023, 3:33 PM

Come on people I'm sure we can think of something to remove Morocco! Anyone??

Edited: July 12, 2023, 2:56 PM

mmmmm.....
Reading this through, but I see the discussion is leading nowhere.
Except that, the topic is dropping down in a tunnel vision.
ALL countries on earth are factual realities, with people in them, who want to have "better lifes". Not represented by their governments, nor by big corporations.
Everywhere on earth there are people who care a 1000 times more to have an agreeable social afternoon at their local café, then with Disney & co. Social life starts there, in the most local surroundings. ....of course, I know, 99% of Americans do not have any social meeting places "at a 5-10 minute walk from their home". Americans (generalised) have a total misunderstanding of what (weekly, daily..) leisure in the local community could be like. It seems to me that there is originating their adherence with "big corporate leisure" facilities. Once a year (or more if money allows it) trying to regenerate, what (even POOR) people have, almost daily : being together with friends...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive