Disney World Pulls Epcot Starbucks Cup

Edited: January 29, 2015, 11:19 AM

I am not sure if you caught this today, but Disney World has pulled the special "city cup" for EPCOT because the Monorail on the side is the Purple Monorail.

For you wondering what is the big deal? This is the color of the monorail that crashed and killed a cast member in 2009.

Personally, I thought it was a bit of a stretch and I did not even remember the color of the monorail.

From the Archives:

Replies (3)

January 29, 2015, 3:48 PM

It bugs me when designers and the people who should be managing designers forget that designs can represent real things. And the WDW monorails are real, with fans who definitely do keep track of which monorail is which. If you're going to position "attention to detail" as one of your business' selling points, that means you're going to have to actually commit to attending to detail. Yeah, 99+ percent of people who were even aware of this incident have forgotten which monorail was involved. But someone at Disney should have caught this one before it went to production.

January 29, 2015, 4:23 PM

Collectors item now. Expect high prices for this on ebay.

Edited: January 30, 2015, 6:03 AM

Robert, even I forgot it was the purple monorail...and I am one of the biggest Disney fans on this site!

I think this is really splitting hairs.The entire inside of the cup is also purple. Everything is purple.

The cup also shows the monorail going to World Showcase which is not real either.

Then again, its just a cup. I thought it was interesting that somebody caught (or not caught) that!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive