Tricky Questions about CEDAR FAIR PLATIUM PASS STRATEGY 2015/2016 Carowinds/Great America

May 20, 2015, 12:34 PM

Hi

With this Discussion I try to find out how to get the best Value... If anyone is a REAL INSIDER, I would be so happy if he/she could answer every single Sentence that has a "?"..

I will not visit any Cedar Fair Park until September, but will be at Carowinds Sept 12 and 13, and afterwards 2 days at Knotts and each 1 day at Great America (daytime AND Hunt) and Gilroy Gardens.

Great America offer a Day Ticket + FastLane for 78,99, what means, that Fastlane then just is 35 $ instead of 65 $ bought separately. Does the Platium Season Pass come with a similar possibility to purchase Fastlane for a reduced Price of 35 $?

Is Fastlane be valid on the same day for regular opening time 10-17:30 AND Special Event (Heloween) from 19-1 am?

If I like to do all Coasters in Crowinds Sept 12/13 that have single cars 4 times and all Coasters with Trains with 3 Cars or more 6 times could I do that without Fastlane or should I buy Fastlane for 1 day or for both days?

How I get a Promotional Code or do they offer free Tickets for Media, as I have a Press Card?

Maybe the best would be I buy from Carowinds Website a Single Day Ticket and Update that once in on Sept 12 to a Platium Season Pass 2016 with Dining.

Can I use the Dining on that first day? Any way to use the Early Ride time on that first day? Is the Early Ride time offered every Operation day for Season Pass Holders? 1 hour before normal Opening? Only at Carowinds or also at other Parks?

Is that right, that I get a Season Pass for 2015 only if I buy now, but get a Seasonpass for the Rest of 2015 plus whole 2016 if I do that like discribed above?

Can I use the Dining on that first day? I read once "Lunch and Dinner" but at aother point "4 hours between".. What now? Can I use on Oct 31 only twice or 4 times? (Opening day Time and during Special Event) Like at 11/15/19/23 o clock.

Does any of the Parks I visit (Knotts, Gilroy, GA and Carow.) has a All you care to eat Buffet like Seaworld Entertainments and Disney does? If yes - included in All Dining Pass or not. If yes, but not included: How much and which Hours?

Then I guess I would need to buy on the Great America Website an Fright Lane With Skeleton Key and (if Dining does not work during Hunt) a Madame Marie's Voodoo Chophouse to get the best Value. Right?

Or is Madame Marie's Voodoo Chophouse included or upgradeable with the Platinium "All Dining"? (Madame Marie's Voodoo Chophouse is all you like to eat I belive)

Can I buy those Helloween Add ons already now? (I travel from June 15 on and try to organize everything before!)

Whats about Fastlane for the day at Carowinds? Should I buy together with Single day Ticket or is their a cheaper Option with the Season Pass together when I upgrate.

So, now is YOUR turn! Incredible how many Questions can Cedar Fair rise...

Replies (12)

May 20, 2015, 3:16 PM

I've been to all these parks and will try to answer as many questions as I can. Since I'm less knowledgeable about Halloween Haunt stuff, hopefully someone who attends those events will be able to confirm/fill in those details.

Great America offer a Day Ticket + FastLane for 78,99, what means, that Fastlane then just is 35 $ instead of 65 $ bought separately. Does the Platium Season Pass come with a similar possibility to purchase Fastlane for a reduced Price of 35 $?

I do not believe the Platinum pass offers a Fast Lane discount. To be honest, I would advise against purchasing Fast Lane at California's Great America as the park rarely gets too crowded (even in the summer, most lines are 30 minutes or less).

Is Fastlane be valid on the same day for regular opening time 10-17:30 AND Special Event (Heloween) from 19-1 am?

If Halloween Haunt is a separate admission ticket, you will need a separate Fast Lane. If a daytime ticket gets you into both events, Fast Lane will be good the whole time.

If I like to do all Coasters in Crowinds Sept 12/13 that have single cars 4 times and all Coasters with Trains with 3 Cars or more 6 times could I do that without Fastlane or should I buy Fastlane for 1 day or for both days?

If you have two days, you probably don't need Fast Lane at Carowinds. On my visit (a summer weekday in 2010), I was able to do every coaster once and get several re-rides on Intimidator and Afterburn in about 6 hours. If you want, budget to purchase it for one day just in case the park is super crowded, but definitely don't pre-purchase Fast Lane. You will not need two days of Fast Lane in any case.

How I get a Promotional Code or do they offer free Tickets for Media, as I have a Press Card?

Outside of media events this may not be available. I'd recommend contacting the park directly to ask about this (if they have a PR department, that's probably where you'd want to start).

Can I use the Dining on that first day? Any way to use the Early Ride time on that first day? Is the Early Ride time offered every Operation day for Season Pass Holders? 1 hour before normal Opening? Only at Carowinds or also at other Parks?

I believe you can use season dining on the day you purchase it. If you get to the park early and process your pass, you'll be able to enter for early ride time as soon as you have the actual pass. Early ride time varies by park, so check the individual park websites for schedule and duration. Generally it is 30 minutes to 1 hour on one or two major coasters and surrounding minor rides, but it is not always offered daily (especially outside of peak season). Most Cedar Fair parks (except Gilroy Gardens) offer early ride time of some sort to season passholders.

Is that right, that I get a Season Pass for 2015 only if I buy now, but get a Seasonpass for the Rest of 2015 plus whole 2016 if I do that like discribed above?

If you purchase now, your pass will expire at the end of 2015. If you wait to purchase, depending on the purchase time you may get a pass that will be valid until the end of 2016. However, unlike Six Flags your pass would only allow a limited number of visits in 2015 if it has a 2016 expiration date so I wouldn't wait to purchase it just to get the longer duration.

Can I use the Dining on that first day? I read once "Lunch and Dinner" but at aother point "4 hours between".. What now? Can I use on Oct 31 only twice or 4 times? (Opening day Time and during Special Event) Like at 11/15/19/23 o clock.

As said above, I believe so. I don't have the pass, but I'm pretty sure you get two meals per day and you must wait four hours after your first meal before redeeming the second. The dining plan will likely not be valid during special events, so if you wish to purchase food during Halloween Haunt you'll likely have to pay out of pocket.

Does any of the Parks I visit (Knotts, Gilroy, GA and Carow.) has a All you care to eat Buffet like Seaworld Entertainments and Disney does? If yes - included in All Dining Pass or not. If yes, but not included: How much and which Hours?

I do not believe there is a regular all you can eat buffet at these parks (I know the California parks don't have one). There may be a special Halloween Haunt buffet, but that would cost extra.

Then I guess I would need to buy on the Great America Website an Fright Lane With Skeleton Key and (if Dining does not work during Hunt) a Madame Marie's Voodoo Chophouse to get the best Value. Right?

If you are interested in these extra options, then yes. If you are looking to save money, you can just buy a regular Halloween Haunt ticket. Season Passes do not include anything during Halloween Haunt if it is a separate ticket event.

Or is Madame Marie's Voodoo Chophouse included or upgradeable with the Platinium "All Dining"? (Madame Marie's Voodoo Chophouse is all you like to eat I belive)

I don't believe so. You'll probably need a separate ticket for it.

Can I buy those Helloween Add ons already now? (I travel from June 15 on and try to organize everything before!)

No, Halloween Haunt stuff won't be on sale until the details of the event are announced. You'll have to wait until closer to the event (probably August/September) before you'll be able to purchase anything for Halloween Haunt.

Whats about Fastlane for the day at Carowinds? Should I buy together with Single day Ticket or is their a cheaper Option with the Season Pass together when I upgrate.

As said above, I'd wait until you get to the park before making any Fast Lane purchases. It may be slightly more expensive, but if you buy it ahead of time and end up not needing it you'll pay more than if you hadn't bought it. If you're buying a pass (which is highly recommended), don't look at any single day ticket offers.

May 20, 2015, 8:57 PM

Thank you very much for your Effort.

I been at Busch Gardens Tampa in late January and have need 3 days in the kind I do Parks I have not visited before. If I didn't got their the RAP I wouln't be able to do it. I do not know CF Policie about Autistic People. As I'm only 1 day at Great America I think about the Fastlane. In my belive it makes Sense if Lines are longer as 10 Min AND they do not have a RAP, that allows Autistic Persons to skip the Line if wait times are under 30 Min.

It's the Question I could get Fastlane also at the Park or they may sold out before lunch time

At US Parks it is unfortuenately my experance that they do not answer to any questions. Very Contoray to 50 % of the Parks in Germany.

Promotional Codes are for the General Public - not Press..

I could not find on any Website times for the Early Ride time. I think you need to Log in into your Season Pass for that. My visit is in a Time they only open on the Weekend, so I may should just be their 75 min before the regular opening..

If I understand right the early ride time is not only valid at the Park, that issued the Season Pass.

As you wrote about the limited number of visits in 2015 with 2016 Pass it is really the question of HOW MANY! As I only need together 6 days that may would work with waiting, but that is only valid if Sept 12/13 that Promotion is valid already! You know that Date for 6Flags? I already bought the 6Flags Seasonpass, but if that Programm start Labour Day I may be eligable for it because I will not reedem/proceed my Season Pass before Sept 5...

Now I understand that thing with 4 hours and 2 Meals! BOTH Rules apply together! Clever!

"Season Passes do not include anything during Halloween Haunt if it is a separate ticket event." arggh Shit - so all Hunt Saturdays are INCLUDED, but not all Hunt FRIDAYS! Hm, that may has the power to turn planing or is more happening on Hunts Special Events as during normal Hunt?

I read about Specials for Season Pass Holder, but they did not told more. Are their any interesting ones beside what we discussed already and beside Bring a Friend things?

Sorry about that 1 Question was double. Thats because the changes with IOS 8 that al Tabulatores remain in a text during c/p in a Note.. I hate Apple and Microsoft for those Automatism that you can not controle...

May 20, 2015, 11:29 PM

I been at Busch Gardens Tampa in late January and have need 3 days in the kind I do Parks I have not visited before. If I didn't got their the RAP I wouln't be able to do it. I do not know CF Policie about Autistic People. As I'm only 1 day at Great America I think about the Fastlane. In my belive it makes Sense if Lines are longer as 10 Min AND they do not have a RAP, that allows Autistic Persons to skip the Line if wait times are under 30 Min.

All Cedar Fair parks have an alternative boarding pass for guests with special needs. This pass can be taken to any attraction to receive a return time based on the actual length of the queue line. I've never used the pass, so I'm not 100% sure, but I believe a wait time of 15-20 minutes or less will grant immediate access and anything longer requires a return time. Something else to note is that California's Great America is not a very large park and if you're going to be visiting many parks on your trip you'll probably find most of their rides uninteresting (other than Gold Striker and Flight Deck, none of their coasters are very good and all but a couple non-coaster rides can be found at the major parks you'll be visiting). Also note that Fast Lane is not a virtual queue system and is merely a separate queue, so on a very busy day a Fast Lane wait could be as long as 45 minutes (though in general they are usually under 15).

It's the Question I could get Fastlane also at the Park or they may sold out before lunch time.

Except for the busiest days (holiday weekends), it is rare for Fast Lane to sell out. I was able to purchase a Fast Lane pass mid-day at Cedar Point last summer.

I could not find on any Website times for the Early Ride time. I think you need to Log in into your Season Pass for that. My visit is in a Time they only open on the Weekend, so I may should just be their 75 min before the regular opening..

I just checked for Knott's Berry Farm (the park where I have a pass) and it appears early entry is only during the summer (Memorial Day to Labor Day). I'm assuming the other Cedar Fair parks are the same. You can check the passholder page to verify (exact dates and times are not posted in general areas on the websites), but you will need to have a pass before doing this. Don't go 75 minutes early if you're not certain there is early entry as you may find yourself waiting around and may even be asked to leave until closer to opening. Since you are visiting in the off-season, 30 minutes before opening should be sufficient for arrival if there isn't early entry.

If I understand right the early ride time is not only valid at the Park, that issued the Season Pass.

All the benefits of a Platinum pass are valid at every Cedar Fair park.

As you wrote about the limited number of visits in 2015 with 2016 Pass it is really the question of HOW MANY! As I only need together 6 days that may would work with waiting, but that is only valid if Sept 12/13 that Promotion is valid already! You know that Date for 6Flags? I already bought the 6Flags Seasonpass, but if that Programm start Labour Day I may be eligable for it because I will not reedem/proceed my Season Pass before Sept 5...

I always start with a Knott's pass and then upgrade to a Platinum pass, so I'm not 100% sure. I do know that a Knott's pass purchased for 2016 would only allow one visit in 2015, so I'm assuming the Platinum pass would be similar (either one visit total or one visit per park). As I said before, I would NOT recommend waiting to try for the deal unless you are absolutely certain you'll be visiting several Cedar Fair parks in 2016. For Six Flags, I think the promotion usually starts after Labor Day (September 7th this year), but since you've already purchased your pass I do not know whether you will be eligible for the promotion or not.

"Season Passes do not include anything during Halloween Haunt if it is a separate ticket event." arggh Shit - so all Hunt Saturdays are INCLUDED, but not all Hunt FRIDAYS! Hm, that may has the power to turn planing or is more happening on Hunts Special Events as during normal Hunt?

At Knott's Berry Farm, ALL Halloween Haunt days are a separate ticket. A pass gets you a discounted rate, but it does not include admission and is not good for stuff inside the park during the event. While I've never visited California's Great America for the event, it appears that they are the same way as the park closes between the regular operating day and the Halloween Haunt event. Your pass will still get you in during the day, but you will need to buy a ticket for Halloween Haunt at night, even on days where the park is open normally. Every night of Halloween Haunt should be the same...Fridays are only listed as special events because the park is not open during regular operating hours on those days.

I read about Specials for Season Pass Holder, but they did not told more. Are their any interesting ones beside what we discussed already and beside Bring a Friend things?

Not really. Cedar Fair doesn't offer as many passholder benefits as Six Flags does. It's mainly food and merchandise discounts.

Edited: May 22, 2015, 7:56 PM

Ok, so I will buy my Carowinds Platium Season Pass. I'm just not sure now online because of the Processing Fee or at the Park and about al Dining I'm also not sure it would save me as I get - I guess 10 % - Discount on Food and could also eat outside as the opening hours are only long at GA where I will use the Voodoo Dinner at 6 pm..

Platinium rigt now is 198 - to which Nr will it get up in a few days and will the price may came down again in September?

About Gilroy Gardens I'm also not sure, as they have only 1 interesting Coaster and other interesting things like the wooded Oldtimers are closed in November. And you need Megabus to get their, what means you are not flexible to go to GA a 2 nd day as you must buy the Ticket on 1. Selling day to get it for 7,50.. AND you need a Cub for the last 5 Miles...

Knotts I will be at Veterans Day - whats about Fastlane for that day? Also Fastlane is sold with a Processiong Fee what bring it up to 70,99 - how much is it at the Park?

I been at Knotts before in 1998 - what was by the way the only time I was kicket out a Park, because they had a Junior Coaster where you MUST be acompiened by a child to ride.. Have that changed under CF Management?

I also could go just I day to Knotts - then I wouldn't need a Season Pass - and spend that day at Legoland, but also about that I'm not sure as it looks like they do not have many Rides and I been in Billund last year..

May 23, 2015, 4:59 AM

Both Pages - GA and Carowinds say that Haunt is included, but maybe ONLY at that Parc you have processed the Season Pass. LOOK on the Seasonpass comparing Page at Carowinds! They state their a specific Word for Haunt that I thinkis used ONLY for Carowinds Scary...

If it is like that, that a Season Pass I bought from GA Homepage MUST first be processed at GA -like 6F is doing that- it don't help me, as I first visit Carowinds but will be for Haunt only at GA (I guest Sept 12/13 is not already Haunt at Carowinds)

Look also closely at the operating time discriptions at GA: They have 3 different ones:

10am-5:30pm (Haunt 7pm-1am) Saturday of my Visit
Special Event (Haunt 7pm-12am) Saturdays BEFORE my visit
Special Event (Haunt 7pm-1am) Fridays

This looks again like my Season Pass would be fully accepted if I change my TouringPlan to go GA Saturday

Unfortuenly CF is not answering any online questions.

In case you have 1-800 Nr from them or a phone plan for free calls may you could ask GA about Seasonpass valid for entry to day AND Night time with a) Platium Season Pass purchased at Carowind or b) Platium Season Pass purchased at GA THAT CAN BE PROCESSED AT CAROWINDS and maybe ask also about Dining Plan regarding a day that says "10am-5:30pm (Haunt 7pm-1am)" (2 or 4 Meals?)

I live in the Azores and Oversea Phone Calls would be VERY Expensive and would mean not purchasing a Season Pass, what I would like to, as it would save me the time to get Ticket, what would be great, because travelling by public Transport means mostly I need to arrive just 14 Min before opening.

May 23, 2015, 10:33 PM

Holger, I just checked the websites and it appears I was mistaken. At Carowinds, the Halloween Haunt event (called Scarowinds) is an all day event and therefore the Platinum pass is accepted. At Knott's Berry Farm, the Halloween Haunt event (called Knott's Scary Farm) is a separate event held in the evening and admission is not included with the Platinum pass. Since California's Great America's event is an evening event, I was assuming it was the same setup as Knott's Berry Farm, but from the season pass page it appears that your Platinum pass will get you into the event. After doing a little more research, it appears that the only parks that do not accept the Platinum pass for Halloween Haunt are Knott's Berry Farm and Canada's Wonderland, so you should be absolutely fine if you purchase one at Carowinds as a Platinum pass is identical regardless of where you purchase it. Make sure you buy one from Carowinds, however, as you must process the pass at the park you purchase it from. I do not have an answer for the dining plan question, unfortunately, and as I have not done Halloween Haunt at any Cedar Fair park except Knott's Berry Farm I'm going to leave any further haunt-related questions for those that have.

In response to a few other things, however...

Ok, so I will buy my Carowinds Platium Season Pass. I'm just not sure now online because of the Processing Fee or at the Park and about al Dining I'm also not sure it would save me as I get - I guess 10 % - Discount on Food and could also eat outside as the opening hours are only long at GA where I will use the Voodoo Dinner at 6 pm..

I would buy your pass online now just in case Cedar Fair stops selling Platinum Passes for 2015 at the parks before your visit. As almost all of their properties are seasonal they may stop selling Platinum Passes for 2015 before September.

Platinium rigt now is 198 - to which Nr will it get up in a few days and will the price may came down again in September?

The price of the Platinum pass may not increase, and if it does it will probably increase by $10-20. It will not decrease until 2016 passes go on sale, so I would buy now.

About Gilroy Gardens I'm also not sure, as they have only 1 interesting Coaster and other interesting things like the wooded Oldtimers are closed in November. And you need Megabus to get their, what means you are not flexible to go to GA a 2 nd day as you must buy the Ticket on 1. Selling day to get it for 7,50.. AND you need a Cub for the last 5 Miles...

Gilroy Gardens is a half-day park. They are not really focused on rides and are more focused on the gardens. The water attractions will be closed in November, but everything else should be open. If getting here will be difficult you can skip it, but I wouldn't skip it just for more time at California's Great America as you definitely will not need more than one day at that park.

Knotts I will be at Veterans Day - whats about Fastlane for that day? Also Fastlane is sold with a Processiong Fee what bring it up to 70,99 - how much is it at the Park?

Due to a promotion and a holiday weekend, Veteran's Day is usually a very busy day at Knott's Berry Farm. If you can shift your schedule around to visit Knott's on a weekday near there, I would recommend doing so as the park will be a lot less crowded. If you have to visit on Veteran's Day I would recommend purchasing a Fast Lane. The price online is the same as the price in the park, but you will not have to pay the processing fee in the park.

I been at Knotts before in 1998 - what was by the way the only time I was kicket out a Park, because they had a Junior Coaster where you MUST be acompiened by a child to ride.. Have that changed under CF Management?

Knott's Berry Farm's kiddie coaster is Timberline Twister. Adults do not need to be accompanied by a child, but all riders must be under 69 inches (175 cm) tall in order to ride. The park is very strict on this rule, so if you are over this height do not bother attempting to ride. At any park, if you are denied a ride for any reason do not cause a scene as you may be ejected, have your pass revoked, and possibly be banned from all parks in the chain for a period of time. If you have complaints, take them to guest relations.

I also could go just I day to Knotts - then I wouldn't need a Season Pass - and spend that day at Legoland, but also about that I'm not sure as it looks like they do not have many Rides and I been in Billund last year..

LEGOLAND California is really geared more toward kids, so while I recommend everyone visits at some point if you've been to another LEGOLAND it probably isn't the best use of your time. If you want another Southern California park to visit, consider spending a day at the Disneyland Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, or SeaWorld San Diego. If you do decide to visit LEGOLAND California, your attraction priorities should be Fun Town Fire Academy, Knight's Tournament, Lost Kingdom Adventure, and the three roller coasters, plus anything LEGOLAND Billund didn't have. I would also recommend you try to find at least one other person to accompany you at the park as single adults (especially males) may draw unwanted attention at that park.

May 25, 2015, 4:58 AM

Thank you very much! You been the most helpful Person in my life and have beware me about to make the big mistake to buy Platium Season Pass from GA and get in big trouble then at Carowinds... I HAVE my Voucher now!

Are you on CS or may like to host me (have all things for sleeping with me) if I pass your hometown? I do the same for all Coachsurfers in Pico (only Host in Valverde on the way to the highest Mountain of Portugal)

Knotts I will be 2 days: Nov. 4 and 9 if I skip Legoland. If I'm not at Veteransday at Knotts I could not use Fastlane and instead would be at Disney, what I guess is also not such a good idea.. So I buy that Fastlane at arrival without the need to look first on the Lines, as they for sure will be long that day at all Parks in CA.. But may tell me: Lines with Fastlane longer at Veterans day as on a day later (or other weekday) without Fastlane?

I did not made a Scene at Knotts, just asked a kid could we ride togther without any other background as to ride that coaster and then both go their own way. A very normal social conservation. I guess someone interpreted in that same very different (like the warning about Legoland you gave me..) and put me in the wrong corner.. I will skip Timberline Twister as I'm 1,85 - thanks for the Info to get me out of Trouble. I guess it is because of the Heights Profile, as bigger people may could came to close to any Structure? At same Woodys I even been able to touch the Wood, so I can understand for safety Reasons!

Legoland:

Knight's Tournament is a Coaster in Denmark, but they have those Simulator Robots also, just under a other Name. Also Epcot has them and that was the only ride I skipped their for time reasons and because I know it from the year before in Denmark.. Lost Kingdom Adventure has the Name "The Temple" in Denmark and is really different. About the three roller Coasters: The Wild Mouse I do not need as it is a Standard Ride. About the other 2 I'm not sure they are different as in Denmark... It is very unlikely I find at least one other person to accompany me at Legoland as I'm alone... But let's make a Meet Up: If I decide to go their it will be Nov 2 - please E-Mail me under Struffel@me.com if like to meet!

Fun Town Fire Academy is the same in Billund. We made a Take Over with TPR last Summer.. Was fun but certainly not need to do again without a Group! I have also the Southern California City Pass, so my visit is paid already, but I think I skip it and go 2nd day to visit either Knott's a 2 nd day or MM a 3rd day.

I will be 3 days at Disney, 1 at Seaworld.

About Universal Studios Hollywood:

Right now that is not in my planing for 2 Reasons:
1. I been their 1998 and this year I had Orlando Flex already!
2. Their is a big Confusion about the SCCP: If you search for it you find 2 different Info about which Parks are included: I bought my one from Attraction Tickets direct (not arrived yet) and their Homepage says that Lego is included 1 day and on American Pages I find that instead of Lego Universal is included. So too know for sure what is right is important for planing!

I think the only thing that is interesting for me is to do the Studio Tour again because of the 2 new incorporated 4 K Screen Sections! All other Attractions either way been their already in 1998 or are similar in Florida now! Or I'm wrong?

I'm totally excited as 2015 is the year of Total Madness for me: (2nd Spring, I'm 48..)
Late January-early February 16 days Orlando with all Parks including Busch, Seaworld, Magical Midway, Fun Spot, Haunted House in Old Town and Pirates Parade in Tampa. 5 days Disney. 3 days Universal/IOA. 11 Festivals in Summer including Defqon.1, OZORA and Tomorrowworld plus 6 Flags, Duinrell, Walibi Holland, Drievelet, Vialand, SDC, Dollywood, Lake Compounce and 3 CF Parks. Could it get much better?

May 25, 2015, 2:16 PM

Holger, you are very welcome! As I have traveled to a large number of North American parks, I always like to give advice to people who may not be as familiar with them. It is not all that hard to find information on the Southern California or Florida parks, but there are surprisingly few sites that offer quality information on most of the regional parks (Six Flags, Cedar Fair, etc.), especially for more than one specific park.

While I do live in Southern California, I live in a condominium with other family members and there really isn't room for anyone else to stay here (plus I'm not sure they'd react positively to someone unknown spending the night). However, if you are looking for someone to hang out at parks with you I may be able to meet up with you on some days of your trip. I have passes to Knott's Berry Farm and Six Flags Magic Mountain, so if my schedule permits I would definitely be up for meeting you at those parks, and depending on available discounts and what I've done this summer I may or may not be able to do other parks. It's too far out to know now, but if you'll be in Southern California in early November I'll contact you in October and see if something will work out. My email address is rcdude@cox.net in case you wish to contact me that way.

Regarding Knott's Berry Farm, if you visit on November 4th you likely will not encounter a line longer than 15 minutes for anything (even without Fast Lane). Because Veterans Day is in the middle of the week this year, the crowd may be distributed more and it may not be as busy on November 9th as it has been on past years (from your previous post, I thought you were visiting on the actual Veterans Day...November 11th). Budget for Fast Lane, but don't buy it until you arrive on this day.

Regarding kiddie coasters, California's Great America and Carowinds have restrictions on their Miler kiddie coasters (Lucy's Crabbie Cabbie). Adults are only permitted on these rides when accompanied by a kid, so I would just avoid the ride to avoid a confrontation. At Six Flags Magic Mountain, adults are not permitted on Magic Flyer under any circumstances but are permitted on the other three kiddie coasters. The other Six Flags parks have varying restrictions, though more often than not adults will be allowed to ride. If in doubt, read the sign at the entrance and/or ask the operator. If you're declined, just walk away. While I know some coaster enthusiasts will borrow children to ride kiddie coasters, I personally do not and would advise against the practice, especially as a foreign adult male traveling alone. While I'm sure you have no bad intentions, people here just tend to take that type of thing the wrong way and it's not worth risking a confrontation just to get a credit.

Regarding LEGOLAND California, from what I can see of LEGOLAND Billund it looks like LEGOLAND California has about the same number of attractions but some are a bit different. As I haven't been to LEGOLAND Billund, I would suggest you take a look and see how many unique attractions LEGOLAND California has, then decide if it is worth visiting. Since your pass includes it, you may want to stop by for a half-day just to check it out, but you probably aren't missing much if you decide to skip it. As for the roller coasters, Dragon is a Vekoma junior coaster instead of a Mack Powered Coaster, Technic Coaster is identical to X-treme Racers (as well as Coast Rider at Knott's Berry Farm), and Coastersaurus is just a tiny Gerstlauer junior coaster, so none of them are anything noteworthy.

Regarding Universal Studios Hollywood, if you have been to Universal Studios Florida and you don't have a ticket as part of a package I would skip it. The Studio Tour is unique and Waterworld is an outstanding show, but everything else is identical (or at least very similar) to an attraction at Universal Orlando and the two unique attractions are not worth a $90+ ticket. The Southern California Citypass used to include Universal Studios Hollywood with LEGOLAND California as an upcharge, but beginning next month LEGOLAND California will be included and Universal Studios Hollywood will be dropped. It's all part of the ticket restructuring to prepare for the opening of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter next spring.

It sounds like you've got a lot of fun stuff coming up this year. I hope you have a very enjoyable trip and feel free to email me if you have any questions or want to discuss meeting up (you can also post questions here for any of the other great people on this site to answer).

May 27, 2015, 4:24 AM

Looks like you're the only one interacting in this great and helpful (not only for me, with all the Info) Thread...

I'm sorry that I have mixed Veterans day with Knotts and MM. I'll be Veterans day MM not Knotts - my mistake....

As I have now Season Pass for both (6F and CF) I may be flexible to choose after my first day at MM and Knotts (or actually 2nd as I been at both Parks in 1996 or 1998) I need a 3rd day at MM or a 2nd at Knotts.

So I do my planing now to include Lego.

I made me a note "Lucy's Crabbie Cabbie (same as at Carowinds, need kid to ride)" that's right? Both have same Name and identical Track at both Parks?

I may do it like this: IF I choose to "like to ride" I ask FIRST an Employee "Can I ask a kid that I do not know he like to ride with me together?" OR If I see a family to ask the PARENTS instead of to the kid!

If NO ADULTS allowed at all, I understand as it may be because of the ride design can not accommodate Adults. That is different with the "Yes, if with child Rule" as that shows it is not for TECHNICAL Reason...

Do CF and 6F scan my Voucher from my IPAD?

Any Strategy Tips to avoid paying for Lockers? I actually WOULD like to have always my Backpack with me with warmer clothes for evening/rain and a Water Bottle and my IPAD (works as my watch and Touring Plan) but I know that many Parks like to make money with not allowing Backpacks at the Station... Universal, Busch (with RAP) and Disney are different from that.

Dragon looks fun for me and it looks like it has a customized Track.
Same with Coastersaurus! Great Vegetation. The last Plant (Baumfarn) is also growing here in Nature.

PS: Got Mail.. For all others that like to meet up:

Struffel AT Me.com
https://www.couchsurfing.com/events/us-theme-park-tour
https://www.couchsurfing.com/events/six-flags-halloween-sunday-okt-4-2015
https://www.couchsurfing.com/events/hike-for-sunrise-near-getty-villa

And I'm always happy for invitations to crash for the night in case a already arranged Host cancel in last minute: Just send Message on my Profile on CS:
https://www.couchsurfing.com/people/holgerhalfmann
I always have Stuff for sleeping with me and 2 m2 Space every Flat/Garage/Garden or Roofroom has....

May 27, 2015, 5:31 AM

Holger, I would be VERY hesitant about asking to ride any attraction with a child when you don't know the family, even if you ask the parents politely. I don't think that any kids coaster or other attraction is worth the potential appearance that you are trying something inappropriate with the child, even though I am sure that you are not nor would ever try anything. It sounds like you already had a bad experience at Knott's, and I would not want your visit to the parks you'll be visiting to be spoiled. That is certainly your decision, but please be aware that you might get yourself in a difficult situation. There should be plenty of great things to do without that risk.

Have a great time in your park vacation!

May 27, 2015, 12:08 PM

It's always nice to have flexibility in your planning. There are definitely a lot of variables, but you may find you don't need three days at Six Flags Magic Mountain or two days at Knott's Berry Farm. Having an alternative option is a good idea, and especially with a season pass you aren't losing money if you don't visit all the days you originally planned.

For Lucy's Crabbie Cabbie, both coasters are similar (they're both Miler family coasters) but not identical. The ride at California's Great America is a really small oval that is probably less than 10 feet tall. The Carowinds ride is a little bigger (15 ft) with a helix added to the oval layout. Both of these rides have the "adults must be accompanied by a child" rule. If you really want to ride and the line is non-existent, explain to the operator that you are a coaster enthusiast and they may or may not allow you to ride. If you are denied, you can decide whether or not to try to find a riding partner. If you do this, explain to the parent that you are an enthusiast and ask if they would be okay letting their son/daughter ride with you (assuming the child is okay with it, of course). If you get a no, don't press the issue. You may have more luck waiting for a parent with multiple small children or a parent that doesn't want to ride, but to be honest I wouldn't waste time doing this and if you hang around too long it may cause problems.

Short version of the above...if you really want the credit, ask the operator. If denied, see if there is a suitable family in the vicinity. If not, leave. Six Flags Magic Mountain's Canyon Blaster is the exact same model as the Carowinds coaster and they permit adults, so you'll get to experience it there at least. While I haven't ridden it, I doubt you'd be missing anything by not riding the one at CGA.

I don't think the parks can scan an iPad, so you'll need to print out your voucher and bring it to the park. If you cannot print it, go to will call or guest services and they'll probably be able to print it for you.

Six Flags parks have various locker policies ranging from they are completely optional to no loose articles are allowed in the station. If you need to use lockers regularly, you can save money by getting an all-day locker. With the possible exception of Fury 325, everything at the Cedar Fair parks you'll be vising has storage bins/cubbies so you probably won't need a locker there. Disney will let your bring your stuff onto any ride, LEGOLAND has storage bins, and SeaWorld offers free lockers at the rides that require them.

At LEGOLAND California, Dragon is a custom layout. It's a fun family coaster. Coastersaurus is a Gerstlauer family coaster (actually a clone of Drachenjagd at LEGOLAND Deutschland) and is just okay.

Edited: June 3, 2015, 6:17 AM

IT IS ALWAYS AMAZING that people have such difficults with scanning from a IPAD. Why? It is even brighter as on Paper and can get enlarged! I know that guest service can look up the order if you have the Order Nr it is just a waste of paper, time and energy..

Thanks for all the Info and may see us later..

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive