Which Franchise is better – HP VS Star Wars?

June 16, 2015, 6:55 AM

Now I am not saying more profitable or popular… I am simply saying which do you prefer…
For me this one cannot be answered since I love them both for different reasons. Star wars was extremely different and exciting when it came out in 1977 and has 7 movies to date. Yes there has been a few average movies in the franchise also. But all were pretty well done. And this sounds are prefect for this franchise.

HP was a fantastic book series that turned into 8 movies and as you know, can now be visited in two great theme parks bringing the movies scenes to life. With HP, you got to see the story evolve and the great planning for the series. The buildup to the story, the aging and maturing of the characters…

I guess if I had to pick one it would be HP but it is a close race.

Replies (15)

June 16, 2015, 7:02 AM

Star Wars. Make no mistake, I've read all the Potter books and enjoyed the movies. But the Potter stories have the "Overheard Stuff" literary device that constantly undermines the story's credibility.

Edited: June 16, 2015, 9:25 AM

What do you mean by "overheard stuff"? The whisperings about Lord Voldemort where one does not speak his name? Or is the overheard stuff about something else? I don't know how it undermines the story's credibility. One thing that's clear, the story has lots of plot points that could not possibly make it to the screen. Harry Potter's character is in itself a rather unimpressive character that only managed to prove his worth in the end when only he could defeat Lord Voldemort in a most slick way that no one could anticipate.

Star Wars has its fans, but the story never had any credibility to begin with. We don't even know who shot first, Han Solo or Greedo. There's the incest storyline between Luke and Leia. Thank goodness we are spared that. Old or young Darth Vadar and Obi Wan randomly showing up in new Director cuts of the movies. Characters that were never accepted by the fan base like Jar Jar Binks and Ewoks. Two death stars and both defeated in the exact same way. Lots of credibility here.

June 16, 2015, 10:44 AM

I think it's based on how patient you are to get into the different franchises. For example, it took me much less time to fall in love with the magic of HP than Star Wars. I recently re-watched SW for the first time in years and loved every moment of it. Some might gravitate towards SW because you don't have to read any books unlike HP where the books are the true core of the franchise. For myself, it's really a toss up

June 16, 2015, 11:50 AM

Star Wars is the better franchise with a much larger fan base and more built out and expanded universe. That being said Disney is vastly underutilizing the property in its current state. A dedicated Star Wars land should have happened more than a decade ago. It's amazing it's taken this long...

Harry Potter is a great franchise as well, and the actual land itself has made me appreciate the mythology. That being said Star Wars just trumps it... Laser swords and laser guns are always more fun to play with than wands and robes.

June 16, 2015, 1:52 PM

I've always been a big Star Wars fan and look forward to Disney doing something with the franchise that can approach or equal Harry Potter. I was never a Harry Potter fan before my first trip to Hogsmeade at Universal Orlando. Even now, I'll just catch a part of one of the movies when they're on. But, I'm a great fan of what Universal has done with Harry Potter at IOA & Universal Studios. I become completely immersed in those two lands. I enjoy exploring & experiencing every nuance. Diagon Alley is so fantastic, that when I'm at the Studios I find it hard to leave that part of the park. Last vacation we spent at least 40 hours in Diagon/London alone. And when utilizing the excellent Hogwart's Express to Hogsmeade, the experience is like one continuous land, not two. Forbidden Journey & Gringotts are two of my top five rides and the shows at Diagon are great entertainment. The Gringott's Dragon is my favorite theme park icon.Restaurants are unique with good food and I even find myself spending lots of times in the stores. And I've rarely spent time in theme park stores before. So much of this is not necessarily what the IP is, but the way the theme park creatives put the plan into operation.

June 16, 2015, 2:20 PM

I think any comparison between movie franchises is subjective based on who you ask. That being said, I don't believe there is a comparison here, because Star Wars is in a category that Harry Potter fans could only dream about. Star Wars has transcended way beyond a movie franchise. It's an international brand that is recognizable to nearly every living human on the planet. Harry Potter is immensely popular too but on a much different level. I love Harry Potter, but Star Wars is in another stratosphere when it comes to franchises.

Edited: June 16, 2015, 2:44 PM

This is a very difficult question and I have a different answer depending on what the specifics of the question are. If you're talking about just the movies, I like Star Wars better. Although there are one or two lackluster films in the series (especially the Clone Wars movie...yes, I count that), the original trilogy is the second best film trilogy ever in my opinion (only beaten by the Lord of the Rings trilogy) and I still found the prequel films enjoyable. The Harry Potter films weren't bad by any means, but there just weren't any that blew me away. In addition, having read the books I'd say about half of them were poor adaptations of the source material (especially Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows Part 2), so even if the movie is good it's a little harder to enjoy it the same way.

When the entire franchise is considered, however, I'd say I like Harry Potter better. The Star Wars movies are great, but the other Star Wars material can be very mixed. I've played games and read books that were great, but I've also found some that were just plain awful. On the other hand, there's very little official Harry Potter material that I don't care for, probably because there is much less of it and JK Rowling has more control. Obviously the books are all excellent, and in terms of the video games Deathly Hallows was the only one I didn't like. On the theme park side, it is difficult to say as I have yet to experience any of the Harry Potter attractions, but Wizarding World of Harry Potter at USH is easily my most anticipated 2016 attraction and as much as I like Star Tours there are better simulator rides out there.

June 16, 2015, 8:00 PM

To be honest, HP is going downhill. I bet you that in 20 years, no one will give a crap about HP because there will be no recent books. Because they will continue to make SW films, it will still be pretty popular. Overall, a enjoy SW a lot more.

June 17, 2015, 5:26 PM

Star Wars

June 17, 2015, 9:25 PM

Ditto. Star Wars.

June 17, 2015, 9:53 PM

Game of Thrones! For our non-partisan posters. ;-)

TBH, both franchises are starting to spread themselves thin at this point. Fantastic Beasts and Rogue One sound like lame attempts to try and print off money by using their names. Whichever one does a better job at creating spin-offs while maintaining street cred would probably get my vote.

June 18, 2015, 2:57 AM

Harry Potter has "street cred?"

Edited: June 18, 2015, 6:28 AM

Both are gigantic franchises with no end in sight. Potter's universe sparks back up next year with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them, and Star Wars this year with Force Awakens.

I prefer Potter, but both are juggernauts unlike anything else we've seen.

June 18, 2015, 4:34 PM

I enjoy them both, for different reasons. Star wars has stood the test of time, and at the time, was just in a class by itself. I don't think the younger generation likes it as well, but most do know what it is.

I loved the HP universal sections--by far the best part of the parks, and made me realize how great something like game of thrones, star wars, LOTR, etc could be. If Disney were to get off their butts and create a section for star wars? Not sure if it would be as good, but you can bet I'd be there to check it out. Maybe it would be better, but since it doesn't exist, then HP is the only answer on that.

June 19, 2015, 8:15 AM

Star Wars continues to ride on the coat tails of the first 2 original movies. Every other movie was crap. I doubt the newest trilogy will be better although it might just break box office receipts again.

Harry Potter is slow and steady. It performs well and the quality is pretty consistent. I like Harry Potter more because it is better done as a franchise.

Disney needs to shore up Star Wars. George Lucas did a disservice by editing the original movies and now it is mess. Disney doesn't own the first movie and the original archival footage no longer exists.

When I saw Star Wars Rebels on Disney XD channel, I was amazed that it is a mere repetition of the original Star Wars storyline. Star Wars is just skin deep. Nothing more to it.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive