Under 52" Rollercoaster Riders - Six Flags Magic Mountain vs Knotts Berry Farm?

July 8, 2015, 12:14 PM

So we are going to LA area and have two kids that are 49 and 50 inches. So that can ride about half of the coasters at each park.

SFMM:
Twisted Colossus
Gold Rusher
Revolution
Goliath
X2
Apocalypse
SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton
Ninja

KBF:
GhostRider
Boomerang
Montezooma's Revenge
Sierra Sidewinder
Pony Express
Jaguar!
Timberline Twister

They visited Six Flags Great America a month ago and rode everything that they could except Goliath (closed). My wife and I are cool with any rides except for Giant Drop type rides.

Opinions?

Replies (4)

July 8, 2015, 1:13 PM

Are you asking which park would be the better option? If so, that depends on whether you are more interested in roller coasters or in the overall theme park experience.

If you are more interested in roller coasters, Six Flags Magic Mountain is definitely the better option. Twisted Colossus and X2 are both better than anything your kids could ride at Knott's Berry Farm, and Apocalypse definitely beats GhostRider in the wood coaster department. If you are going soon, Goliath will likely be closed (the ride is reportedly down until September), but if it is operating that is another outstanding ride. At Knott's Berry Farm, the only above average coaster kids under 52" can ride is Montezooma's Revenge (GhostRider can be good, but it's usually really rough), so if you're more interested in coasters SFMM is the better choice.

If you are more interested in the overall park experience, however, definitely go to Knott's. While SFMM has some of the greatest coasters ever built, there is very little else at the park that stands out. Knott's, on the other hand, has multiple dark rides and numerous other attractions that everyone can enjoy, plus the theming and atmosphere of the park is better. Your kids will likely be disappointed that they can't ride Silver Bullet or Xcelerator, but if they enjoy a variety of rides and not just roller coasters they'll still have a great time.

July 8, 2015, 10:10 PM

I say you should go to SFMM. At KBF, you guys are unable to go on some of the best rides, such as Xcelerator and Silver Bullet. At SFMM, you are able to go on both X2 and Twisted Colossus. Also, many of the Knott's Berry Farm coasters you mentioned are not very thrilling and are family coasters. However, all the coasters you mentioned for SFMM are exciting and intense (with the exception of Goldrusher). Not only that, but you can ride 8 coasters at SFMM, and only 6 at Knott's (I didn't count Timberline Twister, as it is a kiddy coaster and I doubt your kids would ride it)

And although your kids rode everything at SFGA, make sure that they can handle the intensity of the rides at SFMM.

July 8, 2015, 11:08 PM

I would second everything that A.J. wrote above. Magic Mountain has the better roller coasters, especially among the ones you listed that your children can ride. Knott's has the better overall experience, including some great summer shows like the Snoopy ice show and the band Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies, who were a mainstay at Disneyland for about a decade.

The Log Ride and Calico Mine Train ride are at a Disneyland-quality level, and Voyage to the Iron Reef is similar to, but I would say superior to, similar rides at Disney like Toy Story Mania and Buzz Lightyear. There are some coaster fans who like Pony Express because there's very little else like it (you are riding on horse-shaped vehicles, leaning over), although the ride is very quick.

If you do go to Knott's, take time to look at the details throughout Ghost Town, like the blacksmith shop, Boot Hill cemetery, Sad Eye Joe, two small museums, the bottle building. I remember a trip to Knott's ten years ago when I was mostly walking around taking photographs, and a family from out of town walked by. The kids, young teens or tweens, wanted to stop and look around the details of the buildings, but the dad said, "there's nothing to do here," and hurried them on to the next roller coaster. I felt bad for the kids. Maybe your kids only care about roller coasters, but there's a lot more there than thrill rides.

July 11, 2015, 11:01 AM

Thank you for the great replies!

We have decided to do SFMM this time. I like the idea of other activities at KBF, but the kids are a little too coaster crazy. I want to take advantage of it before any fear sets in.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive