Disney's Old Key West Resort

Price Level: Deluxe

The Key West-themed resort offers 761 villas within 50 pastel-colored buildings. Studio rooms have kitchenettes, while multi-room villas contain full kitchens.

Restaurants

Have stayed here twice now, both for two weeks at a time. Such a lovely resort, hence the reason we came back. First stayed in 2014 and stayed in a studio room, then this year we stayed in a 1 bedroom villa, would definitely suggest the one bedroom villa over the studio as they are about three times as large, and you get a really large balcony area and full kitchen. If we were to go back again we would look to get the two bedroom villa as you could sometimes hear people next door in the adjoining studio room, however it is mainly due to the people you have staying next door to you, as the 2nd couple of people we had next door were really quiet. The main reason we stay at this resort is due to the fact it's spread out and most of the buildings are only over 2 floors. Pools, restaurants and staff were all amazing. The only problem is there is only really one place to fill up your resort mugs after you get back from the parks, but the rooms were filled with tea and coffee machines so it was fine. 10/10
We stayed in a One Bedroom Villa in January. The resort is nice, but the balcony of the room that we stayed in had a view of the golf course, with a lot of golf cart traffic and early morning lawn mower noise. There was also a significant amount of road noise. We had requested a canal view, but did not receive what we requested. The room itself was nice, but a little on the worn side. The good thing is that there is a pullout couch and a pullout chair. I think your satisfaction with your stay at the resort depends a lot on the location of your room.
This is the best resort to stay at if you have a large family. The other added perk is that you can drive up to your hotel room.

It isn't flashy, but it is very clean, spacious, and does the trick.

While it is hard to recommend as a casual visitor since it is very expensive, I highly recommend if you own a DVC or you can trade points via a timeshare exchange. That's what I did. I own a timeshare resort and I exchanged my current year points via RCI, an timeshare exchange. After I made the reservation, my Disney vacation planning went smoothly. I was charged an addition transaction fee (approx $200) and Disney tacked on a resort fee (approx $100). I guess the Disney resort fee covered the Magical Express bus and the MagicBands since I was not charged for these items. They came gratis.

With that out of the way, Disney's Old Key West Resort doesn't exactly stand out. I learned it is Disney's oldest original resort. The grounds are huge. It is quite large, but undistinctive. It is relaxing, but that's about it. The pools are huge and quite nice. I didn't eat at the restaurant near the hospitality house (reception hall) since I made many advanced reservations at the parks. I did use the quick service restaurant at the pool. It is adequate (barely average food). I liked the boat ride to Downtown Disney, which at the time (May 2014) was undergoing its major renovation. I visited Downtown Disney twice for dinner and shopping.

I got the one bedroom suite. They are typical timeshare quality rooms. This means it is much better than Disney's moderate rooms and below Disney's deluxe rooms. The advantage of time share rooms is a fully equiped kitchen with stove and full-sized refrigerator, in-room clothes washer and dryer, and spacious accomodations. Old Key West rooms are described as having larger rooms than other Disney's time share resort. I would agree they are spacious.

The rooms were recently renovated. This is a good thing, but I found the laminate wood flooring to be substandard quality. The edges were peeling at the molding. The appliances do not seem to be the best quality. The shower stall is not tiled (molded plastic). It seems a bit low rent. There are no elevators to the second and third floors. Beware if you need strollers.

The resort is huge. Therefore, ask for a room close to the hospitality house so you can walk to the restaurants and pool. Overall, I quite enjoyed myself there. Next time, I will try another resort, but I warn you, Disney's resorts are hard to get. They seems to quickly get booked as soon as they are listed in RCI.

TIPS: Try out the crafts center. Good if you have kids under 13 years old. Most crafts are free except for the ceramic kits (you must give yourself 24 hours for the ceramic kit to bake in the oven and dry). I didn't try it out until a few hours before (with time to kill) for the magical express to take us to the airport on the way home.

Facebook YouTube Twitter Instagram Email Newsletter