Phoenix

Roller Coaster

Submit Photo

A Herb Schmeck (Philadelphia Toboggan Company) wooden roller coaster built as the Rocket in San Antonio, Texas and moved to Knoebels in 1985. Although the first drop is only 78 feet tall, the ride is extraordinary for its airtime. Knoebels does a very nice job maintaining this jewel of a coaster, which also features an antique car ride path through its supports.

It's a little overhyped, but that doesn't mean it's simply fantastic. One of the best roller coasters in the country. 10/10
The world's first standup woodie.

I think it's great but it gets too much hype.

The ride begins with a journey through a pitch-black tunnel - what fun! - followed by an ascent up a 78-foot lift hill. The train then drops 72 feet and while that does not sound very impressive, what happens after that certainly is. As Phoenix negotiates a series of hills and consecutive drops, riders are almost flying out of their seats. What makes this coaster special is its extreme ejector airtime. Throughout the ride I found myself bouncing around, sliding under the lap bar and being thrust into a nearly standing up position. The last time I rode it - in the next to last row - the couple in the row behind me told me after the ride that they were tempted to grab my hood and pull me back - that's how far out of my seat I was!

Facebook YouTube Twitter Instagram Email Newsletter