What was you favorite decade to visit WDW? 80's, 90's, now?

Edited: March 13, 2016, 1:39 PM

New member here, I'm curious what is everyone's favorite decade or time that they visited WDW? Things have certainly changed since my first visit ('81), perhaps I'm just feeling nostalgic, but the best time for me was about mid 80's to mid 90's.

Replies (10)

March 13, 2016, 9:21 PM

2020s because that's when it seems I'll finally be able to go there.

Edited: March 14, 2016, 6:00 AM

Good news is at least Star wars & Avatar expansions will be open. Bad news is you'll have to take out a 2nd mortgage to pay for the trip if the prices keep increasing.

March 14, 2016, 6:58 AM

My first visit was 1999 so I don't remember much of that so I would have to say the mid 2000s like 2005 or 2006 , those are the best memories I have at the Disney parks.

Edited: March 15, 2016, 2:30 PM

For me it was 1982 to 1992. The opening of EPCOT, Hanging out at the Giraffe in the Hotel Royal Plaza. The Michael Jackson sightings in the parks. The AMAZING brunches held at the Top of the World and the Golf Resort. John Camp at Captain Cook's Hideaway. Denny Zavette at the Empress Room. Pleasure Island! Candlelight Processional on Main Street USA

Those were great days!

March 14, 2016, 1:14 PM

First time I went to WDW was 2003, then 2005, 2007, and the last time was 2010. So I guess it was that span of years I liked best!

We'll see how things have improved (or not) when I visit again in 2017.

March 15, 2016, 11:52 AM

My first visit was 1987, then I think 1993...after that, my next time visiting was when I lived in Florida full time (the earlier visits were family vacations when we lived in New Hampshire)...not really fair for me to say 1987 because I was 6 years old and don't remember enough of it...I'd say whenever the last time 20,000 leagues under the sea and Mr Toads Wild Ride was open would be my favorite time period...maybe early 90's?

March 16, 2016, 7:14 AM

Me and my family would pretty much go 2 to maybe 3 times a year since I was about 5 up until I was about 14. I was born in 1989, so I essentially experienced a lot of visits in the 90's. After going back a few years ago, (I typically visit Universal more frequently now) I have to say the park had more charm back then.

It just seems as if they barely added anything new since the 90's. I will get nostalgic feelings here and there depending on the ride but when it comes to attractions, I personally feel Universal is ahead of the curve. however, that could be me as an adult saying that. I cant really say I care about a new snow white attraction or whenever they put that in.

March 16, 2016, 9:32 AM

I'm going to put in for the 70's.

Main Street wasn't some big shopping emporium, and actually had some character.

You could still ride 20,000 Leagues, the Skyway, and Mr. Toad.

Oh, and they shot at the hippos on the Jungle Cruise.

Edited: March 18, 2016, 9:39 AM

The absolute best time IMO was late 80's early 90's. MK, EPCoT, MGM, & Pleasure Island were open. Arguably the best bar ever the Adventurer's club, a perfect blend of animatronics, live performance, atmosphere oh yeah & booze, was open. Some of my favorite attractions, Horizons, Mr. Toad, World of motion, & original Figment were still open. Norway opened in EPCoT, Port Orleans in '91 Splash mount. in '92.
You could go in October & have the parks virtually to yourself, I remember going from attraction to attraction with little or no wait. Drinking your way around the "world". Cast was still friendly & seemed genuinely glad to be working there. Everything was new or looked new. All the parks & resorts were kept immaculately clean.
I'm sad that the under 30 crowd will never experience that WDW. The last time we went was 2013, & even though it's larger & more technologically advanced, it has lost some of it's magic IMO. But at least we have our memories & can hope that those days may return.
Does anyone remember the Fireworks Factory restaurant?

March 18, 2016, 10:26 AM

@Rubicon

I totally agree with you 100%. As I posted earlier, the majority of my trips were during the 90s as a kid and it was such a magical place. and I too went back in either 2012 or 2013 I forget which year and I was just kind of unimpressed. I thought I would be so excited since I haven't been there in years, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as I used to.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive