When is the next theme park apprentice?

March 25, 2016, 12:00 PM

I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Replies (15)

March 25, 2016, 1:31 PM

I'm still planning to run the competition again this year, but I must admit that I've been quite busy lately and therefore I haven't been able to work on the next season as much as I'd hoped yet. That said...

As of now, Theme Park Apprentice 8 is tentatively scheduled to begin in late May and run until sometime in the mid-July to mid-August timeframe depending on number of challenges and number of competitors. I did talk with some of the judges in early February and we discussed some ideas for the competition, but nothing has been finalized yet. I'll be pretty busy through the end of next week, then I plan to start writing things down and will consult with the judges of last season to finalize details. Look for an announcement in early May with details of the competition and official dates.

While I don't want to say too much about what will be happening this season (as details are not yet finalized), I will say this: Unlike Theme Park Apprentice 7, Theme Park Apprentice 8 will be a cumulative park competition with more open-ended challenges. We have decided that while the challenges last season produced some great concepts, they ultimately stifled creativity a little too much and were very difficult to judge accurately without using a strict point rubric (which we don't want to do). There will be a mix of old challenges and new ones in the next season, but nothing else will be revealed until May.

March 29, 2016, 10:56 AM

FYI...Universal Japan is taking out Back to the Future and Backdraft for Nintendoland...did I predict that or did I predict that?

And no, I'm not still bitter...LOL...

The first week's challenge should be to create a ride with enough theming that Jim is satisfied...while mechanically feasible to satisfy AJ. Using only cardboard boxes and a children's play table.

March 29, 2016, 11:14 AM

I'm not judging or participating.

March 29, 2016, 12:54 PM

Who is judging? I'll play if Jeff is judging.

Edited: March 29, 2016, 1:41 PM

Jeff, Nintendo Land in Japan is actually not replacing Back to the Future and Backdraft, and is instead going into unused space near the front of the park (at least according to TPI's front page article), so I guess that means you get partial credit. From what I've heard, those two attractions are still closing in the near future, but I have no idea what will replace them. Some rumors indicate Diagon Alley (though it would make more sense to put that where Nintendo Land is going and Nintendo Land in the back), but I don't follow the Asian parks very much so I'm not sure.

I don't know about using that challenge for Theme Park Apprentice 8, but perhaps that would be something to consider for the spin-off version Kiddieland Apprentice, should it ever happen.

Keith, judges have not yet been determined for the competition other than that James will not be judging and I will likely be judging (though in the unlikely event we have too many judges I may act as an organizer without judging). I am planning to contact the other judges from last season at some point in the next couple weeks to see which want to judge again, and any judges from previous seasons are welcome to contact me if they would like to judge (email at rcdude@cox.net). Judges will be announced when the competition details are posted, along with a call for additional judges if necessary.

March 29, 2016, 3:02 PM

Hey everyone.. It's been a while.

I'm going to come out clear and say that I won't likely be playing in this years Theme Park Apprentice. Cumulative parks just aren't my thing.. I'm drawing a blank for concepts as I speak.

I would, however, be interested in judging if the opportunity arises.. AJ, am I allowed to Email you and apply or is it only for past judges?

March 29, 2016, 3:56 PM

Think of something better than a Vekoma SLC.

March 29, 2016, 4:17 PM

Tyler, you're welcome to email me, but priority will be given to previous judges so there may not be any openings. I would suggest waiting until the details are announced and applying then if there is still a need for judges, but if you would rather send an application now please refer to the judging application instructions from Theme Park Apprentice 7.

Also, assuming I continue running this competition beyond this upcoming season, there will be an independent challenge season at some point. Both formats of the competition have their pros and cons, so I don't think it is a good idea to focus exclusively on one option.

March 29, 2016, 6:17 PM

I'll wait till more details are posted..

Besides, the second I posted my last message, I came up with four diffirent ideas... It's freakishly strangle how I come up with things right after I need them..

March 30, 2016, 11:09 AM

@ Keith....I'm interested to hear why you would play if I was judging. But I have to be honest, I'm in the middle of planning a move which a May start will likely put right in the middle of moving or immediately after the move (you know, that time when you have all of your stuff in the new house and can't seem to find anything). In addition to that I am planning on changing jobs sooner than later, and the 4 year old is probably going to want to spend every waking moment at our pathetic excuse for a theme park.

That being said, if you can make a decent argument why I should be a judge, I will make time for this.

Jeff

Edited: March 30, 2016, 5:51 PM

Jeff, I'm not going to argue to hard because I'll probably play anyways, but during Theme Park Apprentice 7 I appreciated your fresh though sometimes abrasive perspective. Your views did not fall into line with the "subjectivness" of this game as of late. A wild card judge is an interesting proposition to me and you, Jeff Elliott, are a wild card. I genuinely say this to you as complimentary, not derogatory.

April 8, 2016, 2:55 PM

I'm happy to fit in as needed. My exams all end by May 9. If you need a judge, I'll judge; if you don't, well I'll try to show em how its done.

I got a concept I'd like to explore and develop... one that might make my job more difficult, but thats what makes it more fun.

April 8, 2016, 4:02 PM

Chad, I'll be sending you and the other judges from last season an email in the second part of next week with what I've got so far for this competition. If you'd like to judge again, that's great. If you'd prefer to compete, that's absolutely fine as well.

April 10, 2016, 12:15 PM

My preference is to play, but i'll do whatever's needed. Drinks service perhaps?

Edited: April 10, 2016, 2:56 PM

Okay, Chad, I'll add you to the tentative list of competitors for this season (which is already up to at least three and possibly five...I really need to get going on this). If you change your mind and decide you would rather judge, just send me an email.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive