Disney Springs is KILLING IT!

July 17, 2016, 5:41 AM

Spent Friday night at Disney Springs and the crowds were VERY healthy. The Lime garage was tagged as "full" when we arrived at about 730 PM.

The new Uniqlo store in Town Center was especially busy. The outlet had some amazing stuff available at decent prices.

Late into the evening (11 PM) the restaurants had thinned. But between 730 PM to 930 PM Morimoto's, Ragland Road, Hangar's and STK were doing well.

We were there for almost four hours and barely walked half of the entire complex. With attendance lagging in the parks, Disney Springs gives us a good reason to be hopeful about the strength of Florida's tourism.

Replies (13)

July 17, 2016, 5:41 AM

Disney Springs photo DS.002_zps3squn9wp.jpg

July 17, 2016, 5:42 AM

Disney Springs photo DS.004_zpsib5kgcpa.jpg

July 17, 2016, 5:42 AM

Disney Springs photo DS.006_zpsieorq73z.jpg

July 17, 2016, 6:30 AM

Epcot and DHS appear to be slow while Disney Springs appears to be hopping in your observations. Got a theory as to why, TH? (and for Pete's sake don't attribute it to the new parking garages!)

July 17, 2016, 6:36 AM

"With attendance lagging in the parks"... Not sure if this is the intent, but free admission always wins out. With all the construction in the parks, customers could be holding out. Come back when they are done like at Disney Springs.

Edited: July 17, 2016, 6:48 AM

It's new -- new is always a draw. The civil work -- roads, pedestrian bridges and the new off ramp from I-4 -- have totally eliminated the traffic headaches that used to plague Downtown Disney. No cost to park. No cost to come in and walk around.

Entertainment venues -- like House of Blues, Splittsville and AMC multiplex (see a movie and then walk around for awhile) are a draw. "Suicide Squad," Fantastic Beasts and "Rogue One" will help boost traffic to the restaurants, bars and shops.

A sweeping array of food availability -- and this includes off-property food. You can eat at Disney Springs or you can eat cheaper off property (from Steak and Shake to Buffalo Wild Wings) and then drive maybe 1-1/2 miles to the Springs and walk around. Grab coffee, dessert (Sprinkles) or drinks.

Great atmosphere and retail.

This Fall -- when people arrive for the EPCOT Food & Wine Festival and the holiday shopping season kicks in -- Disney Springs is going to be crazy busy.

July 18, 2016, 2:20 PM

Anon is right. It doesn't cost anything to be there compared to inside the parks.

July 18, 2016, 3:29 PM

I keep sort of hoping they will revive the Osbourn Christmas lights at Disney Springs. Maybe not this year. Give it a season to be missed, but perhaps next year once some of the newness of Disney Springs wears off. It would be a great way to entice shoppers to come to the complex, and it would give Disney some good street cred for offering a serious holiday attraction in an area that has no admission charge. Some of the big shopping complexes here in SoCal decorate with almost as many lights as Osbourn lights. It's all about increasing traffic to the registers in the shops and restaurants.

July 22, 2016, 7:13 AM

I had a thought about the Springs, I hope it's doing good business with locals.
It's quite a shot in the arm with the external vendors now in addition to purely Disney products.
Could Florida locals being energised about it be having this big impact on the attendance?
But, as with everything in the Mouse's house - when its new, its always popular!

July 22, 2016, 2:38 PM

I had the same thought as Rob. Disney Springs is perfect for the Osbourn Christmas Lights. It even fits in with the storytelling!

I gotta tell you that I am shocked how much Disney Springs (Downtown Disney) has improved. Its a complete 180. Morimoto, STK, and Boat House bring in a trifecta of fine restaurants!

July 22, 2016, 2:58 PM

I am a Tampa resident and see many of my colleagues driving an hour on I-4 just to see Disney Springs. That alone should make it a rousing success.

July 22, 2016, 9:09 PM

I don't know. Getting anywhere in the Los Angeles area takes an hour or more.

July 23, 2016, 11:08 AM

Los Angeles is its own thing.

Traveling an hour to go places in the Midwest or East Coast is a big deal.

I think Disney Springs (and Universal Citywalk) bring in unique food and store selections which are, sorry, very lacking in the Central Florida Scene. Not saying they do not exist, but you got to try REALLY HARD to find them.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive