Disneyland in a different light

Edited: October 3, 2016, 7:51 AM

First of all, I apologize if my English is bad, I don't speak it as a first language.

I had an interesting experience a few weeks ago, when my girlfriend and I visited the Disneyland Paris Resort. I had only ever been to the Disney (and Universal) parks in the States, so being a big theme park-fan, my girlfriend gave me a trip to Paris and tickets for both of us for the parks for my 30th birthday.

As I said, I've been to the parks in the States, but this time, it was a different experience.
Between buying the tickets and actually going to the park, we found out my girlfriend is pregnant. Which of course is fantastic, but it makes a visit to a theme park more limited :-)

When I've been to theme parks before, it's always been a mad chase around the park to squeeze in as many thrill rides as possible. But since my girlfriend couldn't go on any of those, we had much more time to enjoy the parks, the theming and all the little things. And I must say, I think I enjoyed this visit more, than any of my previous visits. It was SO much fun to just buy an ice-cream, explore Adventure Isle, stop by a little Aladdin-themed walkthrough attraction and so on and so on.

There were so much more to enjoy in the parks, than I've ever realized or noticed while running for the next roller coaster. It really made me realize, why Disneyland is such a different experience to Six Flags for instance.
I don't know, maybe it's also the fact, that I've turned 30 and its been a few years since my last visit to a major theme park. And with an older age, you appreciate different things.

Has anyone else also had this happen? To suddenly experience the park in a completely different way?

Replies (5)

October 3, 2016, 7:57 PM

Absolutely. I have often gone to my home park, Cedar Point, which is without a doubt known as a thrill park with lots of coasters and major thrill rides, and hardly ridden anything other than the train, the sky ride, and perhaps a few more sedate rides. I love to walk down Frontier Trail and stop into the craft shops, watch the shows at the various theaters around the park, and sometimes just get a big bowl of frozen yogurt and find a shady spot to sit and people watch. Don't get me wrong- I love to ride nearly all the coasters at Cedar Point front-seat, hands in the air, but sometimes it's nice to just stop and smell the roses.
And Bjarke, two things- 1) best wishes on your new arrival! I hope everything goes well, and 2) your English is terrific! I hope to see you contribute some reports on whatever parks in Europe (I assume) you call home. We don't hear enough about the terrific parks on your side of the Atlantic.

October 4, 2016, 2:55 PM

Thanks for your reply, James!

I live in Copenhagen, and I'm an annual pass-holder at the Tivoli Gardens. I've actually thought about writing a report on the park, which I don't assume many Americans ever get to visit, even though it's said to have inspired Walt Disney to create Disneyland.

October 5, 2016, 1:49 PM

It'll be even more different when you visit with a stroller. You'll focus on gentle rides with no height requirements. This will take many years and much longer if you want more kids. Only after your kid is at least 7 and reach the height limit and can handle more thrilling rides, then it becomes more normal. Otherwise, just take it slowly.

October 11, 2016, 10:00 PM

By the way, James is an excellent tour guide for CP. I met up with him a month ago and had an awesome time!

Disneyland Paris is one of those Disney conundrums. They have some of the worst cast members, but it is one of the prettiest parks in the entire company. DLP is gorgeous when it comes to landscaping.

I think the cast members are really overworked at DLP (they are pretty overworked in the states, but at least everybody mostly speaks one of two languages). Also, the idea of guest service is a little different in Europe than it is in the states. To be fair, its also different in the Asian parks.

I just came back from WDW with my family along with my 4 month old nephew. I really got to see the small things for guests who do not or cannot go on the thrill rides.

October 12, 2016, 8:58 AM

Congratulations Bjarke!!!
We had a pregnancy in our family discovered at WDW. And we've since been back with the little one - its an entirely different experience when you're not the child but see it through their eyes. (Although you do hope their favourite ride won't be Small World!)
Your English is excellent by the way.
I'd love to hear about Tivoli Gardens if you ever did want to write that report.
Best wishes!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive