Six Flags Great America and Cedar Point make a World Series Wager

Edited: October 25, 2016, 4:26 PM

Tonight, the World Series begins between the Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians and the bets have begun!

This includes theme parks.....

This year, we have two companies going head to head: Six Flags vs Cedar Fair

Six Flags Great America has wagered Cedar Point to the losing team singing the winning team's song. Cedar Point sweetened the wager by having the losing team having to name a roller coaster for opening weekend in honor of the winning team.

Here is the video courtesy of Cedar Point and Six Flags Great America:

“We are thrilled to be a part of this wager,” said Hank Salemi, park president of Six Flags Great America. “Our park is rallying around Chicago for a World Series win and can’t wait to hear ‘Go, Cubs, Go’ all the way from Sandusky.”

Jason McClure, vice president and general manager of Cedar Point added, “I think all of us in Ohio and Illinois are excited that our teams are playing October baseball. Our two parks are in the business of fun – so why not get into the spirit in our own unique way? We’re not going to lose, so they should probably get their video ready!”

I am not sure if I have seen two different theme park companies do this before. Its nice to see some dual marketing across the Great Lakes parks! Either way, this is going to be an exciting World Series. The last time the Indians won was in 1948. The Cubs won their last in 1908.

Oh, and go Cubs!

Replies (22)

October 26, 2016, 4:34 AM

Game 1. Cleveland 6, Chicago 0

October 26, 2016, 5:01 AM

Slow and steady wins the race!

October 26, 2016, 5:04 AM

I am more surprised you didn't take issue with Great America and Cedar Point being competition.

They really aren't. Cedar Point has the history and the rides to prove it.

October 26, 2016, 4:53 PM

That was too obvious- plus I always feel a bit sympathetic to TPIers whose home park is a Six Flags park ;+)

October 26, 2016, 5:40 PM

No complaints here. Great America is one of the best in the Six Flags chain. Unfortunately, that bar is a little low.

October 27, 2016, 12:41 AM

Game 2. Chicago 5, Cleveland 1.

October 29, 2016, 4:36 AM

Game 3. Cleveland 1, Chicago 0.

October 30, 2016, 4:51 AM

Game 4. Cleveland 7, Chicago 2. And no, I'm not getting cocky or over-confident. Ohio teams seem to have the ability to snatch defeat from the mouth of victory. Hopeful? Yes. Confident? No way!

October 30, 2016, 6:29 AM

I appreciate you keeping this post alive, albeit for not positive situations for my team!

October 31, 2016, 4:04 AM

Game 5. Chicago 3, Cleveland 2. Series returns to Cleveland.

November 2, 2016, 9:39 AM

Game 6. Chicago 9, Cleveland 3. Tonight decides.

November 2, 2016, 2:36 PM

Like reality, only us two care about this! :)

November 2, 2016, 2:54 PM

We've come this far, so what's another day?

November 2, 2016, 4:00 PM

Hey Guys. Thought I would add my two cents. First, I have to agree with Anthony about Six Flags Great America being one of the better parks in the chain. We visited there 8-9 years ago and I was blown away at the quality vs. other SF parks (our home park of SFOG included). James, thanks for the sympathy bestowed on all of us with Six Flags for home parks. Also been to Cedar Point and Carowinds and have enjoyed both.

Loving this series, although I wish more of the games could have been closer. Go Cubs Go !! No wait, Go Cleveland !! This is the rare occasion when I am fine with either team winning.

November 2, 2016, 4:11 PM

Since 1985 Chicago has won thirteen national championships in major professional sports. Cleveland has won only one. I realize that it's been 108 years since the Cubs won the World Series, but it's been nearly sixty years for Cleveland. Plus we have the Browns to deal with...and we were stuck with the Republican Convention this summer. Have some mercy on us :+)

November 2, 2016, 10:09 PM

Cubs win! Enjoy Cubs coatster ;)

November 3, 2016, 3:49 AM

Game 7. Chicago 8, Cleveland 7. Congratulations, Anthony and Chicago.

Edited: November 3, 2016, 4:49 AM

Pick your favorite...

Edited: November 3, 2016, 10:33 AM

Cleveland needs a hockey team! :)

Cubs Keeper. I like!

November 4, 2016, 11:44 AM

https://www.facebook.com/WGNTV/posts/10153953183917411

It's also Top Thrill Cubsters!

November 4, 2016, 2:12 PM

CEDAR POINT STOLE THE NAME I TWEETED AT THEM! AUGHHHHHHHH!

November 5, 2016, 5:02 AM

Anthony, Cleveland has an AHL affiliate of the Columbus Blue Jackets called the Cleveland Monsters. They play at Quicken Loans arena, where the Cavs play. Are you going to come opening weekend to enjoy Top Thrill Cubster?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive