'Variety' names Bob Iger "Showman of the Year"

December 4, 2016, 7:26 AM

From the article (link below): "Bob Iger’s audacious moves and big bets have turned Disney into the gold standard of media companies — but he still thinks there’s room for improvement.

"He took the reins at Disney in 2005, after years of internal dissension, a rebellion by two key one-time board members, a shareholder revolt, and a hostile takeover attempt by Comcast. The new Disney boss quickly won over dissidents Roy E. Disney and Stanley Gold and repaired a badly frayed relationship with Apple’s Steve Jobs."

The article continues.

The conglomerate’s signature theme parks and resorts have also expanded immensely under Iger — most dramatically with the June opening of the Shanghai Disney Resort, which has been drawing 1 million visitors a month and could break even as soon as next year. Iger calls the park one of his crowning glories.

Over the course of Iger’s 11-year run, Disney’s operating profit has more than tripled, to $15.7 billion for the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30. And the company’s stock has more than quadrupled in value, to nearly $100 a share.

http://feature.variety.com/bob-iger-showman-of-the-year/

Replies (11)

December 4, 2016, 7:29 AM

Great conversation between Mr. Iger and director J.J. Abrams.

December 4, 2016, 7:29 AM

December 4, 2016, 7:44 AM

I'd argue that Eisner turned Disney into what it is today.

December 4, 2016, 8:12 AM

The conversation video is exceptional. Especially when Mr. Iger talks about his career path.

December 9, 2016, 3:46 PM

TH Creative. Bob Iger is one of my heroes, a king, and the best man than Eisner.

December 10, 2016, 5:26 AM

Many Disney fans don't consider Iger, his executives, and his predecessor (Eisner) as showman. They are money men to them. This would be a slap in the face to them. I do think Iger is brilliant and bolder than Eisner. Iger has shown more creativity lately than any previous Disney executive. The way the Disney traditionalists slammed Iger and Chapek is nasty business.

December 10, 2016, 9:39 AM

Iger needs to be careful to not waste is good will on Trump. I think he is taking a gamble that he really doesn't need to take. Remember, he is here to run a business.

December 11, 2016, 5:27 AM

I think the Trump thing is about being in the room where it happens.

Edited: December 14, 2016, 12:01 PM

I don't think Disney's turnaround has anything to do with Iger except that he had the foresight to buy the business that gave him the person he needed to make the turn around.

John Lasseter is the guy who should be given all the credit.

December 13, 2016, 3:22 PM

I'm sorry but "all the credit?"

December 17, 2016, 9:28 AM

I will give credit to Iger that he is a better manager of talent than Eisner.

To Iger's credit, he has taken a profitable company and made it even more money. That is not a small task.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive