Regarding the future of Star Tours

December 29, 2016, 2:10 PM

Forgive me if this is a question that has already been answered.

I am beyond psyched for the arrival of a Star Wars land in Disney Parks. The promises of a Great Movie Ride meets POTC: Battle for Sunken Treasure experience alongside adventures aboard the millennium falcon, all enclosed in an environment poised to go toe to toe with The Wizarding World is more than my little fanboy heart can take. No doubt Disney has been laying the breadcrumbs in anticipation so masterfully and will continue to do so. Yet amongst all the excitement and nail-biting that comes with awaiting that next piece of leaked concept art or construction photography, my brain often asks...What about Star Tours?

The Reason I bring this up; Star Tours just happens to already be located in vicinities that are a little more than just a stone throw's away from the future sites of said lands. Rumors were abuzz with the closure of Muppets 3d so that Star Wars might expand its presence there, but Hollywood Studios seems to have spared it for now with their implementation of the Muppet Courtyard. In Anaheim, the land is being built on the complete opposite side of the park from where it's incarnation of the ride sits.

Was there a piece of information that I have missed regarding the attraction's future? Will disney keep a Star Wars ride in a completely different division of the park from other Star Wars related attractions? Will Disney relocate the classic attraction to a new location within the new land? Will Disney simply scrap the attraction altogether once the new lands open? Lets Discuss!

Replies (7)

Edited: December 29, 2016, 8:46 PM

My understanding is they've not given any indication as to what will happen to Star Tours. My impression is that it will remain for the time being, but that in the future it will be re-branded as another IP, or completely redeveloped. The obvious choice for a reason is the Iron Man ride thats just opening in Hong Kong. The only issue here are that WDW does not have the rights to use it, and at DLR the plan is for a Marvel land at California Adventure.

I think that Tomorrowland at DLR will get a complete redevelopment in the not too distant future, and Star Tours will cease to exist on the west coast then. I'm not familiar enough with DHS to guess what may happen there, particularly with all the current changes.

Edited: December 29, 2016, 8:37 PM

I highly doubt Muppets 3D will go away after investing heavily in the PizziRizzo restaurant in the rebranded Muppets Courtyard. I also suspect Star Tours will stay as the first entrance to Star Wars Land and the second entrance at the opposite end of Muppets Courtyard and the third entrance at the new Toy Story Land. I would compare the layout to Disneyland's where Star Tours is at the same location of Hungry Bear Restaurant and Muppets Courtyard as where the Rivers of America is situated and Toy Story Land is where Fantasyland is at. DHS is lacking in rides compared with DL so they aren't going to remove rides if they can help it.

It sucks that there's no update to the Muppets 3D attraction. Its over 20 years old.

December 29, 2016, 8:54 PM

I predict DL's Star Tours will turn into a Big Hero 6 simulator. As far as Disney World goes, who knows.

December 30, 2016, 6:27 AM

Just re-skin it as a intergalactic travel company giving virtual tours to the exotic destinations of a galaxy far far away.

December 30, 2016, 3:13 PM

I believe DHS's Star Tours will stay for a very long time. I see it acting as an "opening act" to Star Wars Land, particularly because of its position in the park at what will be one of the main entrances to Star Wars Land with no separation between the two. It should ALWAYS remain a part of DHS as it can easily cover ALL the Star Wars movies (Original Trilogy, Prequels, New Trilogy and the Star Wars Stories). Remember, Star Wars is now on pace to release a movie a year for the next decade and in no way can Star Wars Land represent all the new movies that will be released in the next few years. Star Tours can accommodate future movies with ease adding multiple planets and characters to its existing storyline. Star Tours is extremely flexible in its content and it can keep up with the current Star Wars trends for years to come.
DL may very well replace its Star Tours with another popular IP for the sake of diversity and limited space to expand.
WDS in Paris should definitely add Star Wars Land in the near future, as well as Marvel Land and possibly Cars Land. It would also be nice if WDS expanded the "Hollywood that never was" themed entrance just outside of Studio 1 and "plussed" Toy Story Land to what DHS is getting. Then we could honestly say that ALL of the 12 Disney Parks are AWESOME!

December 30, 2016, 6:09 PM

At Disneyland, the ride will likely remain for a couple years and then become a casualty of the next Tomorrowland makeover. Whether it becomes a new simulator or whether it gets replaced entirely is anyone's guess at this point. It will not become the Iron Man Experience, as that will be coming to DCA as part of Marvel Land (if it still comes to California...I've heard both that it will and it won't).

In Florida, I expect Star Tours to remain unless Echo Lake receives an overhaul. While not inside Star Wars Land, it is close enough to not cause problems. If Disney wanted to get creative, they could create a new ending scene and re-route the exit of the ride to deposit guests inside the new area, making the ride a perfect fit.

Star Tours will likely remain in Tokyo and Paris indefinitely as there are no current plans to develop additional Star Wars attractions at either resort.

January 3, 2017, 5:54 AM

I think DHS's Star Tours would theoretically be the front of the new Star Wars land.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive