Announcing Theme Park Apprentice Tournament(s) - Register Here

Edited: January 30, 2017, 12:29 PM

Have you ever been on a ride and thought to yourself, “I could design something better than this”?

If so, you are in the right place. Theme Park Apprentice is a competition where you get to design the attractions.

This is a rare opportunity. I get to announce not one, not two, but three Theme Park Apprentice Tournaments.

1. The Tournament of Champions II (start date TBD)
2. The Tournament of Champions II Play-in Tournament where one person will get qualified for the Tournament of Champions II.
3. A “for fun” tournament, for everyone who wants to play but doesn’t have the credentials for the other tournaments, and as a wind up for the regular yearly tournament to be held this summer.

The play-in tournament and the for-fun tournament are as of the posting of this announcement open for people to sign up. Reply in the message threads below that you are in if you would like to play.

These tournaments will run side-by-side at the same time on the chat boards of Theme Park Insider. There will be separate places to put your entry depending on which tournament you are in. The only downside for an absolute beginner is that the challenges will be a little harder than the typical challenges of a summer session.

The tournaments are scheduled to start on February 19th with the first challenge due on February 25th.

For this shortened version of the tournament, there will be no eliminations. Everyone will post the first three weeks, and then three finalists will compete in the final round. The final round will be given an extra week since it usually involves building an entire park. Our goal is to post the challenges 2 weeks in advance of the due date, so people can work ahead if they need to.

Those are the main pieces right there. I’m sure this will be followed up by a lengthy post listing all of the rules, along with some do’s and don’ts.

Once again, if you would like to play, add your name below and we will consider that your entry into the tournament. If you’re not sure which tournament you are going in for, we will sort that out for you.

If you are interested in helping, we currently have only one judge for the “for fun” tournament, which is fine, because it is just for fun, but we could always use more help.

Let’s try to keep this thread for questions regarding registration and discussions on the rules. If you have any questions outside of that, please post it in the TPA Chat Thread. We’ll have some salty old TPA pirates keeping an eye on things and will usually be more than happy to answer your questions over there.

Good luck to everyone!!

Jeff

Replies (12)

January 30, 2017, 1:50 AM

What's all about?

January 30, 2017, 5:19 AM

I'll do the for fun tournament.

January 30, 2017, 6:12 AM

I'm in for TOC II

January 30, 2017, 12:22 PM

@Oscar

Theme Park Apprentice is a more or less annual competition held on the message boards of Theme Park Insider.

Each week you will be given a challenge and have to design something that is better than the other people playing.

An oversimplified example would be "Design a dark ride for the Marvel/Pixar Franchise Big Hero 6" or "Design a restaurant that would be located in the new Star Wars Land" or "Design the next expansion of Harry Potter Land".

This competition is designed to test your knowledge of the theme park industry, particularly about what works and what doesn't, test your creativity, and test your ability to convey your thoughts in such a way that you can paint a picture with your words. Typically, descriptions of rides will talk about the facade, the queue, the ride mechanics, a walkthrough of the ride, and other facts about it.

You will submit your entry via the chat boards and then be judged by people who are highly experienced in these competitions. Typically a single person is eliminated per week, but we are doing a shortened version this time, so no one will be eliminated this time around. The final will only be completed by 2-3 people.

If you need further information, do a search on this site for TPA and Theme Park Apprentice and you will see many competitions to peruse. Reading over some of the older competitions will give you a really good idea of what is expected this time around.

January 30, 2017, 5:26 PM

I would like to participate in the for fun tournament.

January 30, 2017, 5:33 PM

I'd love to join!!!!

January 31, 2017, 6:13 AM

I think I qualify for the tournament of champions

Edited: January 31, 2017, 10:16 AM

I'm in, please, for the Play-In.

January 31, 2017, 10:39 AM

We're keeping track of who responded to the other thread, so don't worry about responding to both (but you can with no problem). The challenges are going to be fun AND challenging. Sign up!

February 8, 2017, 4:46 AM

Here are the names of those who have said that they will participate in the Tournament of Champions Play-off/Play-in, and in the just-for-fun competition:

Play-Off:
Jay R.
Keith Schneider
DPCC,inc.
Anthony Murphy
Andy Milito

Fun competition:
Jaiden
Derekvb
Kenny Cook
Oscar Marquez

I hope I got all your names correct! If there is anyone else intending to compete, contact us and post in here asap. It's going to be starting soon!

February 9, 2017, 4:07 PM

Let's see how well I can do in the fun competition- sign me up!

February 9, 2017, 6:09 PM

You're in!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive