Theme Park Apprentice - Chat

March 28, 2017, 6:21 AM

Forgive me if I've trod on any toes by starting a new post. I couldn't see one in the list.

---------------

I do have something I've been working on as an unofficial submission for this round. At the moment its better developed than Crocodile Dundee land, but nowhere near the polish level I'd add if I was actually submitting it for real... but its close enough to ticking all the boxes I'd be happy to actually get a critique on it (although, and I stress this, if I was playing for real, I'd lather on a lot more gloss).

Not sure whether I should do it though, or keep it "in the can" for a park based challenge in the future. Just wondering what the plans are for the Tourney-of-Champions, are we doing a single park format, or a changing format?

Replies (5)

March 28, 2017, 10:14 AM

First of all, I'm glad you posted this new chat thread. I think a thread expires after 30 days, whether being used or not. Second, the TOC2 foremat is not established yet, since we don't know who will be judging it yet. Lots to decide, but we need to get past the play-off first. Hopefully we'll start planning it shortly.

March 28, 2017, 10:56 AM

Since I will likely by admining the Second TOC....and probably building the challenges.....and I dislike the single park format....you could probably bank on difficult challenges intentionally written to force your mind into places where you haven't gone before. Therefore, if you have anything ready to show, let's see it. The likelihood of it working with an actual challenge coming from my pen is small.

April 3, 2017, 4:36 PM

I'm so excited to be named the winner of the Tournament of Champions play-in round! Thank you so much to the judges, and to all the competitors, both serious and fun, I read all of your proposals and every single one was brilliant. I can't wait to see what you all do in the normal season. As for the champions, I'll see you soon!

Edited: April 4, 2017, 1:17 AM

This is to all who have competed in Theme Park Apprentice at anytime from Vol. 1 #1 to the most recent Tournament of Champions Playoff,

With the next Tournament of Champions coming up, there is something that I’ve wondered about for a long time. Does knowing the standings and where you fit into them during the competition affect you and your work? This is especially a concern with the format we used in the first TOC and in the recent Playoff, where there was no elimination and we hoped that everyone would compete to the end.

In the first TOC, all five competitors played to the end, even those who eventually knew that they would not be winning- I commend them for that. In the Playoff, we originally had five competitors, then four, then three and finally just two in the finale…and it was supposed to be non-elimination! Their reasons for dropping out are probably totally understandable, but we never heard from those who dropped out so we have no way of knowing.

Even if you’re not going to be in the TOC2, I’d appreciate your feedback, and if you want to keep it private with me I fully understand. Would you rather have the standings not announced until the end of the competition? Would you rather have them announced after each round, so that you know where you stand? I can see risks and benefits from each, but I want the competitors to give me some feedback on this.

You can post in here, or send me an email at jim@themeparkinsider.com or to my private email if you have it to keep it private (but if you do that, please say something in here like “Jim, I emailed you” so that I know to look for it).

April 6, 2017, 3:50 AM

Having taken part in, I think 4 TPA's, maybe, and being a judge on one, albeit, I had to pull out part way through due to a family issue, under a different user (I lost the login details and don't use the email any more hence the new name) I used to like the weekly scoring system but for a ToC where all the submissions are usually top quality and each worth reading, it may be worth keeping the scoring in house so us spectators get to enjoy a whole plethora of imagination. And occasionally, a round 1 entry may not be great but the subsequent rounds can really improve as people start to expand and elaborate on those early ideas which can then seem far more thought out as they fit into their vision.

So yea. that's my thoughts :) Either way, will be looking forward to ToC this year.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive