How can Halloween Horror Nights up its game?

Edited: June 18, 2014, 12:06 PM

Okay, so 2014 seems to be the year where everyone is stepping up their game, from Disney World breaking ground for Avatar land "expected opening 2017", to DA opening sometime this month.

Now with the latest announcement being that the Walking Dead will be back for a third consecutive year, not only coming back but with it being the biggest scare maze in Horror Nights history. The Walking Dead is looking to make it's big enterance and be the main theme of this years event. Don't get me wrong I love the Walking Dead I am a huge fan of the show and I love what they have done so far with the scare houses up to this point, but what can they do to make it better? Or better yet what can they do to support around it? Because many times HHN can seem to be a lot of hype an big expectations, but filled with empty promises.

Let's open the discussion.

what can HHN do to make Walking Dead better?

What would you guys like to seem them bring to HHN?

What new houses should they try doing?

My idea would be to come up with a storyline that can have a crossover house of two different themes. To come up with a way they can be combined together to make one ultimate scare house. We probably won't see that this year, but wishful thinking if they read this post maybe they will come up with it for 2015 or 2016

Replies (5)

June 23, 2014, 6:58 AM

Eventually you would have to include Diagon Alley in HHN there is a lot of you could do there. A story can be told there especially with the dementors.

June 23, 2014, 1:06 PM

Diagon Alley just doesn't work. HHN is an adult event, and the "scary" parts of the HP franchise do not fit with the target audience. The park would be inviting trouble including HP, which would lead to confusion from families thinking that their pre-teens would be up for the event.

I'm sorry, HHN needs to stay edgy and truly scary, and by letting HP seep into the plans would be a huge mistake. Many HHN fans are very glad that Diagon Alley will be closed during HHN. Perhaps they could use portions of the London facade for a Jack the Ripper-style maze, but that would only work when the crowds and interest in the new land die down. As it is, they're probably going to have a tough time making sure Diagon Alley is cleared out in the hour between park close and HHN opening.

The improvement needed to HHN primarily fall under crowd control. It's nearly impossible to see all of the houses in a single night without an Express Pass, so they either need to increase attraction capacity (pretty tough with a haunted house), or decrease maximum attendance, which would probably necessitate an admission price increase. I would definitely be willing to pay slightly more (not as much as Universal Express costs, though) to attend on a night where maximum park capacity was lowered by about 20%. However, I doubt that would ever happen.

June 24, 2014, 4:49 AM

or they could just extend the hours so that everyone has some more time to see the park

June 24, 2014, 7:45 AM

The park is already open to midnight or later (on busier nights). I'm not sure staying open later is the answer, because crowds start clearing after 11 PM, when people start getting tired, or just need to get some sleep before starting the next day.

It would be nice if they increased their online app to accompany HHN to allow guests to have things to do while they're standing in lines. Because of the layout of HHN with many houses in backstage areas, the queues are extremely boring, and it would be great if there was something to keep guests occupied while waiting. Perhaps more mobile-friedly pre-show videos or stories about each of the houses.

June 24, 2014, 10:39 AM

yeah i actually love that last idea about pre show or stories or videos about the house your about to enter.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive