Bring back E tickets

May 11, 2017, 9:49 AM

I remember as a kid going to Disneyland.We used the ticket books gotten from redeeming S&H Green Stamps.I remember it was entrance plus 15 rides for about 1 1/2 green stamp books.Anyway,by having rides with A-E designation,it made some rides worth more and appreciate them more than with the unlimited rides today.Also,we didn't do the same ride twice,since we had a limited number of tickets.Bringing this back would cause people to not jam up some rides and would spread the crowds over more rides.This could be done electronically by issuing wrist bands,where you would just scan the band when getting on ride.They could just give you a fixed number of points plus admission.Then you would be reducing the number as you did rides.People could pay extra to add points.I'm guessing most people wouldn't add points,there would be less crowding on popular rides and Disney could lower their prices.

Replies (4)

May 11, 2017, 10:34 AM

What you've described is exactly what Disney is doing. Heard of the Magic Band and FastPass+? The new FP+ system makes it extremely difficult to get multiple "short line" rides on the highest demand attractions. It forces guests to select three (3) rides where they want to avoid the unbearable standby queues. You have to complete your first 3 FP+s before you're allowed to reserve additional (one at a time), at which point the pickings are slim. So if you want to ride something a second time, you're relegated to the long standby line or keeping your fingers crossed that additional FP+ reservations will be available later in the day. If people actually planned their days this way and all worked together to avoid standby lines wherever possible, FP+ might actually work. However, the human condition gravitates many people to long lines, almost as a rite of passage, so not only do we see FP+ reservations snapped up as fast as free money, but you see people knowingly standing in hour-long standby lines for something they already rode while another ride sits with a minimal wait.

It all goes back to the human condition of wanting to actually stand in line. Honestly, your idea wouldn't work, because there are people out there that would buy more "points", which would then gum up the whole system again. As much as I HATE FP+, I think it's working (though I do wish you didn't have to make reservations so far in advance - a week or 2 is more than enough), and there have been rumors for years that they may one day bring it to Disneyland.

May 11, 2017, 10:47 AM

jrj90260 - Your last sentence had three mutually incompatible concepts. "Disney" "less crowding on popular rides" and "lower prices"

I think it would be fair to say that 1) S&H Green Stamps are never coming back, 2) Disney parks will always have long lines on their popular rides, and 3) Disney will never lower their prices unless there is a horrific economic collapse.

May 11, 2017, 7:43 PM

If you want to live life that way, visit Blackpool pleasure Beach in England. You can either get an all ride wristband or just pay for entry and the rides you want.

Edited: May 11, 2017, 11:16 PM

Pay per ride may sound appealing, but overall it would have more drawbacks than benefits. If Disneyland were to change to pay per ride...

-The minimum cost would be lower but it would be very easy to end up spending more than the current admission price.
-The price wouldn't drop as much as people would expect as it would need to offset a significant decline in food and merchandise sales.
-While ride lines would decrease, the number of guests in the park would increase, possibly to the point where it was unmanageable.
-Either more cast members would be required, increasing the operating budget, or efficiency would decrease as cast members were given more tasks or moved to new locations.
-Annual passes would no longer exist, so visiting more than once every couple months would likely result in higher annual costs if you ride more than a couple attractions per visit.
-It would be difficult to ride a lot without exceeding today's prices...one ride per E-ticket would likely be $80+.

The only people who would benefit from a pay per ride system are those who primarily make short visits (2-5 hours), and that is the group of people Disneyland is trying to decrease. There's a reason Disney abandoned pay per ride in the early 1980s...it is not suitable for a destination theme park.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive