Paramount pictures no longer associated with london paramount park

June 21, 2017, 8:25 AM

Well, paramount don't be seeming to be doing so well at the moment due to the murica paramount park in Spain being scrapped and now London Resort Company Holdings, the company building the paramount park in london have slit from paramount pictures! What this basically means is that paramount park london is dead. However London Resort Company Holdings still aim to go ahead with the theme park just without paramount licensing and intellectual property. The deals with BBC and the people behind wallice and grommet still stand but will this be enough of a draw for fans compared with the likes of Star Trek and mission impossible. London Resort Company Holdings still plan to give their presentation of the park in 2019 but it will probably be less impressive than originally planned.
I hope this still goes ahead but honestly I feel like this park won't come to fruitition any time soon, which is a real shame as I was really looking forward to this park. From the renderings of the park, most of the attractions would stay the same such as the adventure river rapids and the medieval area as these are more generic themes. However now that disney has brought up most of the shares in disneyland paris, I can expect it to get a lot more investment in the next few years so that people will keep coming to that park, therefore the new non-paramount park london will not be competition to disneyland paris, only competition to other parks in the UK.
What are your thoughts?

Replies (4)

June 21, 2017, 1:44 PM

(Non-)Paramount London has been talked about now for what seems like too long without any real progress being made. It doesn't feel like it will actually ever happen, and the announcement about Paramount pulling out now makes it look even less likely.

It's a shame, as we could really do with some proper competition in the UK. Merlin is too dominant, and can get away with lacklustre attractions (ref Nemesis Sub Terra, Storm Surge) and chronic under investment (ref Chessington).

However, great parks can stand for themselves without the need to rely on huge IPs, although that does remain an easy way to market and pull in the crowds.

The theme park geek in me still very much hopes the London park goes ahead. The realist in me says it appears ever more unlikely.

June 22, 2017, 2:31 AM

The London Basin could certainly do with more competition given that Legoland, Thorpe Park, and Chessington (not to mention several in city attractions) are in the Merlin stable.

I've always been hopeful that WB would expand their studio offering beyond just a Harry Potter experience and into a theme park, but they don't seem too interested in doing that.

June 22, 2017, 1:28 PM

Maybe when London Resort Company Holdings realise they need a big intellectual property to help sell the park they may go to warner bros, fingers crossed.
It would be great to have an actual theme park in the UK dedicated to the likes of harry potter and maybe the dark knight trilogy.

June 22, 2017, 2:08 PM

I would love to see Star Trek come to Universal

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive