What is the Most Time you are willing wait for an attraction - Disney vs Universal?

July 17, 2017, 12:01 PM

We have all waited in long lines for popular attractions. I am wondering given the two most popular and debated places in Florida, what is the most you willing to wait.

We waited about 80 minutes for Skull Island in May. Sign said 60 minutes but it was closer to 80 minutes. I would also willingly wait for Forbidden Journey or Escape from Gringotts, Hulk and Spiderman..

At Disney, I think 60 minutes is the most I am willing to wait for something like Everest.

Again, this is the Most Time you are willing to wait…

Replies (5)

July 17, 2017, 12:27 PM

It really depends on the circumstances. We once waited in line over 4 hours to get on Top Thrill Dragster, but that was because the coaster was running so intermittently in its opening season that you had to do that to make sure you got on it.

We only go to Disney/Universal every 2-3 years, so if there's a new ride we want to get on, or there's something we know that is closing soon, we'll go out of our way to make sure we ride. That doesn't necessarily mean we'll stand in a longer line, but at WDW we may forgo getting a FP+ reservation for another attraction to make sure we have a FP+ for that ride. For this trip, I think I'd stand in line for over an hour for Flight of Passage, but that's the longest I'd be willing to wait in standby at WDW.

We're deliberately staying at RPR at OU this time around so we don't have to wait in lines at IOA and USF. Our son just crossed the 48" barrier this spring, so all of the attraction that my wife and I used to alternate riding through the single rider/parent swap, we'll be riding together as a family this time around (MIB, Mummy, Forbidden Journey, and Gringotts). We got really used to UO without waiting in lines, so we're splurging on RPR so we can have UE for our 3 days in those parks. If not, I don't think there's any ride at UO that I would wait for more than an hour.

It also depends on the crowds. Sometimes you don't have a choice, and you're in a park on a crowded day. You're faced with a choice of waiting in line for a hour for a good ride, 45 minutes for a mediocre ride, or just leaving the park and throwing away what you just spent to get in for the day. Sometimes you're at the mercy of the crowds, and as someone who has regularly gone in the fall and has seen the crowds go from non-existent to mob-scene over the past 15 years during this time of year, I can tell you that there's only so much you can do about lines.

July 17, 2017, 6:38 PM

And that is the sole overriding factor that makes my family enjoy Universal more. Note I did not say prefer or like. I said enjoy. The unlimited express pass makes our theme park experience magical. Our FP+ makes our theme park experience frustrating as hell. I would agree with the hour for E ticket, 45 for moderate, and 30 for lower tier, but that is on crowded days. There are only a few attractions I would wait 90 minutes for. There are just many ways around it, or there used to be. Now Disney has people reserving passes for rides like the Haunted Mansion where they were fast loaders that didn't really need FP in the first place. Then you have people booking it for 9:30 a.m., and the line crawls to a halt, and there is a 45 minute wait at 10 a.m. For something that traditionally would be a walk on at that time. You used to be able to manage lines so much better. I was at DL the other day and flew through the park with the old system.

Edited: July 17, 2017, 8:40 PM

If it's my first time on a ride, I'd be willing to wait 180 minutes as long as it's an E-Ticket, fully operational, and has a highly themed queue.

July 18, 2017, 1:22 AM

180 minutes within a themed queue. For example "Flight of Passsage" we waited 180 minutes.

July 18, 2017, 3:14 PM

It depends on how long I've previously waited for the attraction or my anticipation for a new attraction.

Maverick and El Toro are my two favorite coasters, but I've never waited for more than a few minutes to ride them.

I walked on to Flight of Passage in standby, and even when the wait got to 60 minutes that night I didn't feel like getting back in line.

Because I'm used to waiting for Test Track, I don't mind waiting for it.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive