SeaWorld hires consulting firm reportedly to help with sale

Edited: August 5, 2017, 10:42 AM

Hopefully this all works out, I love the SeaWorld parks: mysanantonio.com

Replies (9)

August 4, 2017, 8:15 AM

Here I fixed the link for you..
LINK

We do like BGT, Discovery Cove is amazing and Aquatica is a nice water park...

SeaWorld has lost some of It's shine since Bud was sold to InBev who ultimately sold SeaWorld parks..

I recently visited SeaWorld Orlando, we had a OK time but not great day. Then I sent them a detailed two page letter on what was great and what totally was terrible..

They responded and promised my words were shared with all department managers on ways to improve...

August 4, 2017, 2:23 PM

Merlin (owner of Legoland) or Cedar should buy them out. Long shot is Universal, but they have some IP that could have a home at SeaWorld. Any new owner will want to accelerate the removal of the Orcas.

Edited: August 7, 2017, 7:20 PM

Orcas are the only thing that differentiates Sea World from the rest. Without them they are just another Six Flags...

August 6, 2017, 2:46 AM

I heard it is being bought out by the guy who owns Atlantis and Sun City. It would be good to have Atlantis Orlando.

August 6, 2017, 5:32 PM

>>>Merlin (owner of Legoland) or Cedar should buy them out.

Merlin has the SeaLife chain at the moment - and they do as a part of that include Sea Life attractions within their other theme parks (Sharkbait Reef @ Alton Towers). Sea World could definitely do worse, Merlin clearly have the experience and are willing to invest and turn things around, and this could help springboard the Sea World brand into other territories too.

August 7, 2017, 4:16 AM

Merlin have a long-standing policy of not keeping "intelligent mammals" (dolphins, whales etc) in captivity. I'd be surprised if they tried to work the Sea Worlds into their portfolio - it'd require a pretty quick and substantial reworking of the parks. And in the continued wake of Blackfish, it would inevitably result in the Merlin brand taking a PR hit. Which I'm not sure they'd be keen to risk, with the Smiler incident still in recent memory. (The tabloids here in particular are still clearly out for blood.)

Aside from that - while the company could find the cash to make the purchase, allocating the funds there would slow down the pace at which they've been expanding the midway brands. (Madame Tussauds, Dungeons, Sea Life et al.) Given that's been an incredibly successful driver for the company, it'd be a heck of a gamble to swap that reliable growth for a chain of parks currently in nosedive.

Not to say that they haven't considered it, of course. But when Merlin have invested big in the past, it's tended to be on fairly safe bets - which SEAS definitely isn't. I've been impressed with the quality with which Merlin's been building and expanding attractions of late - I'd rather see them continue that than have to go into fire-fighting mode elsewhere.

August 7, 2017, 7:33 PM

If people from atlantis bought it, they could relocate the Orcas to the Caribbean, Middle East or Africa, and restart the Orca breeding there, out of reach from any fanatic from green peace and Black fish.

Then americans will need to cross the frontier to see an Orca Show. Without the Orca's and dolphin cost, their american parks could be lucrative even if they lost a lot of customers.

August 7, 2017, 9:43 PM

Rumored is Merlin will buy Busch Gardens in SeaWorld's portfolio.

August 8, 2017, 3:12 PM

There is still at least one orca show not associated with Sea World and it is in Florida at the Miami Seaquarium. I wonder why the Blackfish people leave it alone.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive