Rumor: Name of Boomerang's replacement at Knott's will be Hangtime, have surfing theme

August 7, 2017, 8:08 PM

User Thermonerd on Theme Park Review's forum for Knott's Berry Farm claims that the name for the new ride ( presumably a roller coaster) replacing Boomerang has been confirmed as Hangtime, and will have a surfing theme.

Neither of the manufacturer or type of roller coaster is named in his post.

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/vie...06&start=12960

Replies (4)

August 8, 2017, 6:04 AM

Hangtime sounds like a Disk-O coaster like Pipe Scream at Cedar Point. It would probably take up the same footprint and would have a much wider appeal than Boomerang. Nothing really earth shattering here, but a slight improvement in both experience and accessibility.

August 8, 2017, 9:31 AM

^It'll probably be an Intamin
https://www.intaminworldwide.com/project/half-pipie/

August 8, 2017, 8:36 PM

I see no reason to believe this user has any insider information, and I think he is merely making a guess based on the teaser Knott's put out and the names Cedar Fair trademarked. Earlier this year, trademarks were filed for three names: Railblazer, The Ledge, and Hangtime. Popular speculation is that the first will be for the new coaster going to California's Great America (likely a RMC Raptor), and the ride at Knott's will use one of the other two.

As for what it will be, I can't say for sure, but I will say this: I first heard whispers about the project in late 2015, and so far everything I've heard has proven accurate. If everything else holds true, I think a lot of people are being too conservative with their predictions. If I'm reading the hints accurately, we're looking at a one-of-a-kind Intamin creation that will be the second largest coaster at the park. This ride is intended to draw people visiting for Star Wars Land...it will not be a stock attraction.

August 13, 2017, 7:41 AM

AJ, that actually makes a lot of sense. I didn't realize that Cedar Fair had filed trademarks on those three names. Also, I don't know where I first read it, but a lot of fan speculation on the replacement attraction focuses on Matt Ouimet' s comments that Knott's (or Cedar Fair) would have a "renewed relationship" with a roller coaster manufacturer with whom they have worked with (ordered coasters from) in the past.

I have mixed feelings about Knott's building a destination roller coaster. The last several years have focused on making the park more family-friendly. Well, actually I guess last year's big 'money' project was refurbishing Ghost Rider, which was for the roller coaster fans and really solid work, although the wait times for Ghost Rider since the refurb (best ride in the park?) are really atrocious. It would be nice for Knott's to attract more non-local visitors, but I don't want a mega attraction to bring in more die- hard coaster fans.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive