Universal Hollywood Tour Strategy Feb Pres Day Weekend?

December 13, 2017, 5:07 PM

Wow, Universal Orlando in the dropdown, but not love for Hollywood I guess?

So I'm what I'd consider a "Theme Park Pro" as I research to death all the tips and tricks, but admittedly my experience has been primarily with Disneyland/World. Been to both Universal's once (Orlando 6 years ago and Hollywood, 20 years ago)

What I've found is sometimes the generally accepted published advice as far as theme park touring strategy is not always correct. Usually the people in the forums have better insight, especially those that have frequented the park.

So we'll be doing one day at Universal Hollywood, Saturday, Feb 17. That's President's Day weekend and the beginning of mid-winter break for many schools.

I'm traveling with my 16 and 18-yo sons. We can last the entire day at the park from hour before open to close (although their 49-yo Dad is going to be pretty warn out at the end.)

General advice is to do the lower lot in the morning but I've also seen advice to do Harry Potter first thing, then lower lot. So which is it? I'm seeing Priority Passes on Ebay going for cheap for the Potter rides and for all rides in general, like $10-$15 a piece that admits 6 people into the A line. Are they worth it and if so do what rides are they worth it for, or will this day not be crowded enough to where these will save that much time?

Replies (2)

December 13, 2017, 6:37 PM

We are going a litte later in 2018, so will be keen to hear back from you on how you manage it.

December 14, 2017, 10:44 PM

What you do first depends on whether or not your ticket includes early entry to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. If you have early entry, get to the park about 30 minutes before it starts and use that time to enjoy the Harry Potter attractions. If you do not have early entry, arrive about 45 minutes before opening and head directly to the Lower Lot. In this case, you'll want to save Harry Potter for the afternoon...it clears out after the morning rush and before people return in the evening.

Priority Passes are generally not worth it for this park, as even on a busy day it is usually possible to do everything. Also, do not buy any theme park tickets on Ebay or similar sites as they may not be legitimate. Make sure all your purchases are either from USH's website or directly from a reputable seller to avoid getting scammed and losing the money.

Expect the park to be crowded, but USH is rarely unmanageable as long as you get there early. If you can complete the Harry Potter attractions and Lower Lot rides within the first hour or two, the rest of the day should be easy. In my experience, a lot of people don't arrive at this park until midday.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive