Current (2018) Six Flags Magic Mountain strategy?

March 15, 2018, 11:52 AM

I've been reading a few posts for best ride orders, but the posts I could find are from mid 2016. Just wondering if anything has changed?

My family and I are heading to Six Flags Magic Mountain this coming September. The date I have planned is Sept.20, which is a Thursday. According to itispacked.com SFMM should be a 'Ghost Town'.

The rides we are most interested in going on are:

Apocalypse
Batman The Ride
Full Throttle
Gold Rusher
Goliath
Green Lantern
Lex Luthor Drop of Doom
Ninja
Scream
Superman: Escape from Krypton
Tatsu
Riddlers Revenge
Twisted Collossus
X2

Any thoughts on how to best order these would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies (2)

March 15, 2018, 11:37 PM

Honestly, the general strategy for the park hasn't changed too much since Twisted Colossus opened. The only exception is that with New Revolution currently not offering VR, it is no longer critical to hit it first thing in the morning to avoid 90-120 minute waits.

On the day you are planning to visit, the park should be very empty. Based on my experience so far this year, you'll probably have waits of up to 20 minutes on the headliners and 10 minutes or less everywhere else. That said, it is possible the park will be running only one train on some coasters, so waits could be slightly longer in that case. I doubt you'll have any difficulty completing everything on your list, but if you're worried I suggest the following order:

1. Full Throttle (low capacity, so get this done first)
2. Goliath
3. Twisted Colossus
4. Scream!
5. Twisted Colossus (you'll want multiple rides on this and it's in a bit of a dead end)
6. Lex Luthor
7. Batman
8. Green Lantern (skip this if the line is out of the building...it isn't worth it)
9. Lunch
10. Justice League (not on your list, but a must ride at the park)
11. Riddler's Revenge
12. Gold Rusher (rarely ever a wait for this one)
13. Apocalypse
14. Tatsu (will probably be your longest wait)
15. Viper (optional)
16. X2 (try to hit this one at 3-4 in the afternoon for the shortest waits)
17. New Revolution (optional, but recommended)
18. Helpful Honda Express (take this to get to the top of the hill)
19. Ninja
20. Superman
21+. Re-rides on your favorites (as time permits)

March 16, 2018, 8:41 AM

Awesome. Thanks for this! Last time I was at SFMM was in 1998 and I recall it was the big opening of Riddler's Revenge. Now this trip I've got my own teenagers to bring. Time flies. Thanks again!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive