Tips when visiting SIx Flags Great Adventure (NJ)

July 12, 2014, 8:30 PM

Hello all! I'm visiting the aforementioned park soon and was wondering, with your experience in mind; what would be the best course of action when choosing which rides to go on first to save the most time? Is it possible to do 90% of the park within let us say, 5 hours or even 6? Thank you very much!

Replies (3)

Edited: July 14, 2014, 1:36 PM

It all depends on what day you're going to the park. On a weekend, you can't get on every major coaster and flat ride in a full day (10 AM - 10 PM), so it's all about prioritization, or forking over money for the Flash Pass. If you're there on a weekday, you have a better chance of getting on more major attractions, but it will still take a lot of work and a bit of luck to get on everything in a single day. To do everything in 5-6 hours, not a chance.

5-6 hours is my typical tolerance for SFGAdv, and I typically only get on 8 or so "big" rides throughout the day. starting with Kingda Ka. I usually skip Superman, Batman, Dark Knight, and pretty much every flat ride. Expect to wait at least 30-45 minutes per major ride after noon on weekends (Sunday's a bit better). On most weekdays, you're probably still waiting for 30+ minutes for the biggies (Nitro, El Toro, Kingda Ka, Green Lantern, and Superman), so to experience 90% of the park within 5-6 hours (even with Flash Pass) is next to impossible.

Strategically, if you want to ride Kingda Ka (and it's actually running), you should start there and knock that out before doing Zumanjaro and El Toro. You could then hit Bizaro and work you way back over to Superman and Green Lantern. By the time you get to the later two, the lines will probably be about 30-45 minutes+ each, so that's when your going to hit the serious lines. There's just no other strategy if you want to ride Kingda Ka, because by the time the park has been open for 20 minutes, the lines are already over an hour for the record setting coaster. El Toro and Bizaro don't have the same lines (particularly Bizaro), but it's easier to get those 2 out of the way while you're on that side of the park before doubling back to Superman and Green Lantern.

July 14, 2014, 7:28 PM

Thank you very much for your insight! Because of weather concerns I may have to reschedule my trip. Would you recommend a 9am-2pm visit on a Friday since most people may be at work (this Friday)

Edited: July 16, 2014, 8:51 AM

Fridays are definitely better than Saturday, and a bit better than Sundays based on my limited experience. However, I still wouldn't expect to get on more than 6-7 big rides in that time frame (assuming you want to ride Kingda Ka and/or Zumanjaro). I you have a Six Flags Season Pass, you'd probably be satisfied with that amount of time, but if you're paying for a single day admission, you may feel a bit ripped off when you leave at 2 PM.

Also, in case you didn't know, the park doesn't open until 10:30 AM, so you really only have 3.5 hours, so even if you get there at rope drop and get on a couple of rides before the lines build, you won't get much done before 2 PM.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive