Toy Story Land

Edited: April 22, 2018, 8:15 AM

It’s getting closer to the opening of Toy Story Land at Hollywood Studios. June 30 to be exact. With that being said, I have to be honest, I’m not overly excited about it. Yes, I know that Hollywood Studios has been lacking. Yes, they need to upgrade the park with new lands/attractions. But I feel they could chosen something else instead.

Toy Story is one of Disney’s most popular movies. I know the land will be successful. I have no doubts about that. I just feel there is already a large Toy Story presence in the parks. Hollywood Studios has Toy Story: Midway Mania!” Magic Kingdom has the Buzz ride. Woody and Buzz are throughout the parks to take pictures, and get autographs. Toy Story merchandise is sold throughout the parks. I just don’t understand...how much Toy Story do you need?

I would have like to have seen Hollywood Studios have some of the more current films instead, such as Moana, Inside Out, Coco, or Zootopia. They could have made interesting lands and attractions from those movies. I know Toy Story is a big seller for Disney. That’s why they decided to make a Toy Story Land. I understand that. But they could have done something more original. Other Disney parks around the world also have or are creating a Toy Story Land.

To be honest, I feel like Disney sold out on this one. They could have created something more original. They just went for the safe bet. Since they know it will bring them more money.

Replies (2)

April 23, 2018, 7:09 AM

I view Toy Story Land as a necessary evil for DHS. Let's face it, DHS is not a great place to visit if you have little kids (less than 42 inches). After they got rid of the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground, the Disney Junior show was really the only thing for the really little ones. It also gives TSM as sense of place as the attraction was essentially built in an empty sound stage back during the DL50 celebration, and the area around the old TSM entrance was pretty depressing.

Toy Story Land is nothing more than a band aid for a much bigger problem with DHS in that it lacks overall attractions. Clearly Galaxy's Edge will solve a lot of those, but I think even after the landmark addition opens next year, DHS will still have issues, and Disney cannot simply sit back and assume that one land can carry a park for the next decade.

Obviously Disney could have gone with the Cars Land clone that was rumored for this space all along, or create a much larger Pixar Land after Disney decided to abandon the working studio theme of the park. However, after Card Land fell through (honestly, I like that the land is unique to DCA), Disney did a decent job to pick up the pieces and effectively use the available land to fill the gap while fans await Galaxy's Edge. The worry I have is that the coaster has such a low capacity that it will just cause more problems in the park.

April 23, 2018, 7:30 AM

Toy Story Land needs a few more flat rides like a carousel and a Flik's Flyer. There's just not enough to do there. It was rumored that Monsters Inc will take over the land east of Toy Story Land. I prefer they consider another IP. Perhaps consider a replacement for Rock N Roller Coaster and tie up the back side with a new land. With Mickey Mouse going into the former Great Movie Ride, having an exclusive Mickey Mouse Land would be an excellent idea. How about a Goofy Roller Coaster and a Chip and Dale Racers ride.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive