Planet Oasis, North of Columbus, Ohio

Edited: July 1, 2018, 8:36 AM

I was wondering if anyone saw this or not. I live 10 miles from the development and it’s pretty big news locally and statewide. The entertainment/hotel/retail development is going to be 350 acres just north of Columbus, Ohio on I-71. It’s going to include 15 hotels 4,000 to 5,000 rooms, Uni Coaster?, Sports Arena, Indoor Waterpark, Indoor Salt Water Lake, Surf and Skateboard Park, BMX Park, Concert Amphitheater, Health Wellmess Hotel/Spa, 25 Story Sky Wheel, Midevil Dinner Jousting Experience, Conference Area, and Hilton and Mariott have already confirmed there going in. They are aiming at the entertainment side of travel and say that Columbus, Ohio is centrally located that 105 million people can get to the location in a day.

Development has already started and construction will start this winter and the first phase will be done by the end of next year. That’s pretty fast for constructing a 350 acre development. Anyone hear of this? Any thoughts? 350 acres is comparable to amusement/theme park size, right?

Replies (2)

July 3, 2018, 7:10 AM

This is the first I've heard of it. I looked at some of the articles describing it, and it does look quite ambitious. Amusement park size? Yes, definitely. Is it an "amusement park?" Not in the traditional sense, but that very definition is changing as the ongoing debates about Disney Springs shows. Entertainment park is probably a better definition. They're probably wise not to be putting a traditional amusement/theme park here, located midway between Cedar Point and King's Island. Will it be successful? Honestly, I'm a bit skeptical- that's a lot of hotel rooms to be kept full year-round, but I suppose with aggressive, ongoing promotion and marketing and a good mix of accessible activities it might stand a chance. Like any successful park- amusement, theme or entertainment, it would need to be able to reinvent itself and bring in new activities to keep bringing people back or it will wither from stagnation.

July 3, 2018, 9:13 AM

I agree it is ambitious and not really an amusement park. I thought it is a good placement for an entertainment park being just north of Columbus, Ohio. It’s like Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg getting built all at once. It’s the largest development going in outside of Orlando and with the varied activities and experiences it could be the next big thing since sliced bread or it could flop. My wife and I live about 10 miles away and I am looking forward to it with some caution. On one hand it will bring a lot of new jobs to the area but traffic will be atrocious. I hope it does succeed.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive