Back to the weather again

October 4, 2018, 9:51 AM

Some weeks ago I posted a thread asking about the weather in January and had some helpful advice. I just want to expand on that a little. As well as visiting Disneyland we plan to drive up to vegas, via Joshua Tree NP etc. Driving in snow scares the crap out of me, so my question is whether the route up to vegas is likely to be snow free or is there any sizeable risk of substantial snow driving inland and up that way?

Replies (2)

October 4, 2018, 10:49 AM

I definitely recall snow in the upper plateau of Joshua Tree when we visited about 10 years ago during March. I think if you're taking I-15 straight to Las Vegas from LA, it should not be too bad, but the route through Joshua Tree may have some snow on the ground. Either route, you may also encounter some snow on the periphery of Las Vegas, but I doubt it will have a major impact on I-15. The last time we were in Vegas in January of 2016, it snowed in the mountains to the west of town. While 2-3" of snow had accumulated on the ground and hiking trails, the pavement, even smaller roads, was mostly just wet, and dried very quickly when the squalls passed.

October 4, 2018, 5:21 PM

Ok thanks for the info, that’s very helpful

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive