Alligators in Florida...

July 25, 2014, 7:31 AM

While on vacation in Florida in April 2014, we realized we have never seen an Alligator in the wild in Florida.(Or any other state for that matter).

Of course we have seen many in Gatorland and Bush Gardens in Tampa. So we took a Boggy Creek Air Boat ride where we say several on a lake...

So I am wondering if anyone has seem some Alligators in the wild....(I am sure a local like TH Creative have)..

Thanks and have a great day.....

Replies (8)

July 25, 2014, 7:59 AM

Yes. Living there for a few months I did manage to see a couple out in the wild. By wild I mean residential ponds and lakes as well as pools of water near some of the major roads.

July 25, 2014, 8:20 AM

I have lived in Florida my entire life, and I saw 150 or more alligators in my lifetime.

July 25, 2014, 8:39 AM

Yeah, I've lived here my whole life and I always see them. Especially at a golf course in the ponds and lakes.

July 25, 2014, 9:26 AM

My primary work site is in an area where the wildlife are largely immune from hunting, and I see just about everything native to the southeast on a regular basis - deer, hogs, turkeys, snakes, and the occasional bear. Just had an alligator migrate into a pond next to the road that we travel on a daily basis, and my co-workers and I usually take a few moments to see if we can spot him on our way to/from work.

We used to have one in a pond right next to our worksite, but he got too aggressive towards humans from idiots feeding him, so Steve Irwin helped animal control move him to a more remote location while he was filming some episodes of the Crocodile Hunter in Florida. I don't think the capture and removal made it into the tv show though. :(

July 25, 2014, 4:29 PM

Oh, yes. I live in north Florida and we've taken our horses for trail rides at the St. Marks Wildlife Refuge. The place is crawling with gators and we even got within about 6 feet of one sunning itself on a dike once. One horse didn't even notice it and the other one only jumped a little bit :-)

July 25, 2014, 9:34 PM

I've seen a few alligators in the wild but mostly in or next to ponds. They don't really scare me because I know about pygmy rattlesnakes. They are small, deadly and you can easily step too close. And brown recluses, yeah, they are nasty spiders. I am waiting to see my first boa or python in the wild, that will make me jump.

July 26, 2014, 2:36 AM

Saw one a couple of weeks ago in the back yard, lol.

July 26, 2014, 7:11 AM

Yeah, years ago we stayed at the Delta Orlando Resort (not there anymore but it was near the entrance of Universal) there were 3 baby Alligators in the small lake next to the Resort never seen the mother though

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive